• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

pH Shelf stable sauce and pH meter questions

I want my sauces to last a while and want them to be stable enough to sit out of the fridge. To do that do I just need the ph to be at 4 or less?

I bought and received my first pH meter to do just that. I dissolved the buffer solution labeled pH 4.01 in 250 ml of water. Water was 75 degrees f. Calibrated the pH meter to read 4 yesterday, it doesn't go to .01. Can I keep this liquid around and just check the pH meters accuracy, I guess what I'm asking is if the buffer solution will always stay at a ph of 4. I dipped the pH meter in it today and it read 4.2

Also, what's the best method to clean the pH meter. I just rinsed it with water and made sure there was no water on the little bulb. Should I use soap?

Shelf stable means before opened, like, a can of peaches is shelf stable (but once opened need to refrigerate). Just clarifying your verbiage here. What you want is a product that does not require refrigeration once opened.

jturkish said:
I want my sauces to last a while and want them to be stable enough to sit out of the fridge. To do that do I just need the ph to be at 4 or less?

I bought and received my first pH meter to do just that. I dissolved the buffer solution labeled pH 4.01 in 250 ml of water. Water was 75 degrees f. Calibrated the pH meter to read 4 yesterday, it doesn't go to .01. Can I keep this liquid around and just check the pH meters accuracy, I guess what I'm asking is if the buffer solution will always stay at a ph of 4. I dipped the pH meter in it today and it read 4.2

Also, what's the best method to clean the pH meter. I just rinsed it with water and made sure there was no water on the little bulb. Should I use soap?

I always shoot for a pH of 3.7 or less though I think the feds require 4.6 or lower.  Note that "shelf stable" basically just means until your product is opened, and for best flavor it should be refrigerated after opening.  (allow to come to room temp prior to use for best flavor) 

The buffer solution will off gas or evaporate which will change the pH so you have to use fresh solution each time you calibrate.  I use a small ramekin when calibrating, so I only need a couple tablespoons to get the meter set.  

After use I rinse the meter in distilled water (tap will leave behind trace elements that can damage the meter) and then air dry before I put it away.

Hope this helps, and welcome to THP.  :)

Check your pH meter's requirements for storage.  Ones with the glass probe need to be stored in the buffer solution.  They come with a little rubber cap.  Fill the cap with a few drops of buffer solution, then store the unit.  If the probe dries out, it won't work.  I think the glass probes can be replaced on some units (?). 

I bought larger bottles of buffer and put it into a smaller dropper bottle to facilitate filling the little rubber cap.  My Hanna Checker actually has 2 set points to calibrate, 7.01 and either 4. or 10.  You can get buffer solutions for both those caibrations.

Definitely shoot for 3.7 or lower if the goal is to leave it unrefrigerated.  I have had commercial sauces tank when left unrefrigerated.  Some were really good and I was bummed they had to be pitched.

Have Fun!
SL 

Back