• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Shepherd's Pie

I decided after the comfort food throwdown that I needed to make another one of my faovrite comfort foods. This one is all one pan though. It consists of ground venison, shallot, serranos, garlic, cilantro, mushrooms, carrots, green beans, peas, corn, and mashed potatoes with cheddar cheese. The pics should tell the story.

100_4678.jpg

100_4679.jpg

100_4680.jpg

Shepherd's pie rules!!!!!! You know what's cool dollop the taters on with a pastry tube so the tips brown a little. Or create some wave shapes or something so the thinner areas brown. Pic of after!

I spoke too soon. Nice browning.

i am sure i saw the post when it first came out, but venison instead of lamb.... i am having one of those "Master Debater" moments!

Shepherd's pie is peasant food. It is made of whatever they have on hand. Of course there are not a lot of deer running around rural Scotland, but it would fit the bill.

I used to work at an Irish tavern that served the best shepherds pie. Thanks for putting that up! Brought back great memories! :)

Ok that dish looks awesome....love the idea of cooking it in a cast iron skillet.

However, [i'm going to catch some flack here I just know it....smart-assed newbie etc] you can't actually call it a 'Shepherd's Pie if it's not made from lamb....think Sheep Herder, shepherd, sheep etc :)

The actual name for your wonderful creation is a 'Cottage Pie'.

Sorry, but we Brits are rather pedantic about our pies, old bean.

Cheers!

Rooze

Tis true it ain't real unless it's lamb, but it looks good! Did you see that Kitchen Nightmares where the Irish pub was serving it with beef?! WTF?

Tis true it ain't real unless it's lamb, but it looks good! Did you see that Kitchen Nightmares where the Irish pub was serving it with beef?! WTF?

LOL...I did see that, Fin McCools or something similar. Their cook would down about 8 pints of beer then stand there with a glazed expression while Ramsay yelled at him....hilarious as always!

Back