• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Shipping plants

I shipped a couple to friends on here...wish I would have taken some pics. I duct taped the container to the box and cut cardboard dividers to sandwich the plant in the center. I also added a piece of cardboard around the plant to hold the soil in the container. The recipients said it was tough to get the plant out, but they arrived in good condition.

Spray foam!! Ha ha. I'm going to use plastic wrap to keep the soil down and paper towels to keep the leaves in good condition. Invert another container on top to keep from crushing then wrap it all in plastic and box it.

Not selling, just sending to a friend.
if your shipping out of the state keep it on the down low,lol. still may need stamps? i dont know your stae laws nor am i starting crap! i was just answering full. still make sure they bug free :rofl:

anyways you cant ship them better than i suggested i promise, if you are sending seedlings still in trays. and send them soon before it gets to hot and as far as wrap just use that kitchen wrap shit.

if your shipping out of the state keep it on the down low,lol. still may need stamps? i dont know your stae laws nor am i starting crap! i was just answering full. still make sure they bug free :rofl:

anyways you cant ship them better than i suggested i promise. if you are sending seedlings still in trays. and send them soon before it gets to hot and as far as wrap just use that kitchen wrap shit.

Really Sic, I'm sending them to a friend. He lives a couple hours away and just far enough to be a pain in the ass to deliver them.

I think I'm more worried about a "THIS END UP" not being paid attention to and having them arrive as scrambled seedlings.

couple hours away i would make him meet me half way and buy be a beer and a burger.

how many are you sending? 3 will fit perfect wrapped in a small box if they are still in there starter trays. if you are sending bigger how big are you sending. if you just sending three of them in that post office small box after wrapped with the clear shit wrap with napkins and there isnt a top or bottom the seedlings will be suspended in air :rofl:

Yup...I scribbled arrows and this end up all over the box, but the postal workers told me that they couldn't promise they would heed my notes. The tape and soil retainer kept things in place even upside down.

CCN ships in a big box with dividers, but you can probably concoct something close enough. Like Millworkman is doing, use bubble wrap or something plastic, and wrap it around the pots themselves, making sure you cover the soil as close to the stem as possible and tape it down. The sole purpose of that is to keep the soil in the pot. Ideally, use other boxes, cut up as needed, to make individual cells within the big box. You know how you can take two squares (or rectangles) of paper, cut each to the half-way point, then slide each together at the cut parts so that they make an 'x' when viewed from top? Do that kind of thing to make individual cells. The cells should be just big enough to tuck a plant inside. Then take a dowel rod (thin), and make segments just long enough to reach from the top of the covered pot to the top of the box. Place one each in the cell sections that have plants in them, so that when you close the lid on them, it's just enough support that the stem won't break if the box gets dumped upside down. Make sense?

CCN ships in a big box with dividers, but you can probably concoct something close enough. Like Millworkman is doing, use bubble wrap or something plastic, and wrap it around the pots themselves, making sure you cover the soil as close to the stem as possible and tape it down. The sole purpose of that is to keep the soil in the pot. Ideally, use other boxes, cut up as needed, to make individual cells within the big box. You know how you can take two squares (or rectangles) of paper, cut each to the half-way point, then slide each together at the cut parts so that they make an 'x' when viewed from top? Do that kind of thing to make individual cells. The cells should be just big enough to tuck a plant inside. Then take a dowel rod (thin), and make segments just long enough to reach from the top of the covered pot to the top of the box. Place one each in the cell sections that have plants in them, so that when you close the lid on them, it's just enough support that the stem won't break if the box gets dumped upside down. Make sense?
:rofl:

ok how big are the plants we are sending . we are starting to talk about 2 diffrent size plants.

Here is one of the plants I sent across country when it arrived...
SANY0464_zps2fef1b4a.jpg

The other one I sent was much larger, and was damaged a little...
FataliifromShane_zps90ab2fb2.jpg

It's in a 5" pot and tried to do something similar to what Geeme suggested...much of the damage was done by trying to get it out of the box...

NewgrowthonShanesFatalii_zps962ada35.jpg

Here it is a couple weeks later...

Lots of duct tape and a soil retainer...and good luck!

The plants I got from CCN were about 6" tall. Still, the idea of kind of "strapping them in" should work fairly well, regardless of the height.

did they come in that container?
I sent them in those containers...and that was at the time of their arrival. I have also seen folks using a strategy similar to yours wrapping the root system in a plastic baggie or plastic wrap and tossing them in a box. Some of those I have seen sent have made it, some not. My strategy was inspired by photos of CCN shipping containers which are similar to a six pack beer carton with compartments that each of the plants set into to hold them steady.

Timing the weather is important too.One I sent to the NE and the other to the Colorado high desert. I waited for a forecast that had daytime temps well above freezing to send them. Sometimes what equates to a few hours driving can be a long delay in mailing depending on collection and processing sites.

Back