• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Shlogg's Glog 2013... Long overdue update.

Hey THP. Well 2013 is upon us, time to start growing!

I picked 27 varieties to take up the bulk of my garden space. Mostly supers but also a couple cool varieties that aren't so hot. Anyway, I soaked my seeds in a weak herbal tea blend for 24 hours, rinsed them and they are now resting comfortably in my germination tank. I'm trying cotton make-up removal pads to keep them moist instead of paper towels. They seem to work great!

My tank consists of a plastic storage bin filled with water and a fish tank heater. The heater can take a little playing with to get the temps just right but once I find the sweet spot its perfectly constant. I then float my seeds in condiment cups on the warm water. It's really works.

I did have a few hiccups in the process though. I was a bit hasty and put my seeds in the germ tank before getting the temp just right. It reached 86 degrees for a couple hours before I caught it but they should be fine. I've got them at 82 degrees now which I think is perfect. Now I'm just excitedly waiting for tap roots so I can get them all into my seedlings trays.

Here what I have going:
20 TS Moruga Blend
20 7 Pot Brainstrain
20 TS Butch T
20 Bhut Jolokia
10 TS Moruga Blend Yellow
10 7 Pot Brainstrain Yellow
10 7 Pot Primo
10 Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
10 Bhut Jolokia Peach
10 TS Chocolate
10 Douglah
10 Bhut Jolokia Yellow
8 7 Pot Jonah
8 7 Pot Congo SR
8 Billy Boy Douglah Red
4 7 Pot Burgundy
4 TS Orange
4 Devil's Tongue
4 7 Pot Chaguanas
4 Bahamian Goat
4 7 Pot Barrackpore
4 7 Pot Savannah
4 Douglah Yellow
4 Billy Boy Douglah
4 Douglah X Butch T
4 Naga Jolokia
4 Jalabanero

I believe that's it for now. I'll be adding more varieties when I have room in the grow box.

Here's a low quality shot of the boys in their bath:
IMAG0449.jpg

Thanks for looking!

That's what I'm talking about!!! Getting back on that horse! Can't wait to see the new life springing forth! I wasn't joking when I said this may be a blessing in disguise...you're gonna grow some BA shrubs mark my words!!! 

Haha...and with that, we turn to a new page in Shlogg's Glog better things to come...

GA Growhead said:
Dudddeeee! Im glad to hear they will pull thru. I feel ya on the attachment to them. After going thru months babying them to final get them in the ground... and then frost comes.
I hope you come out like spicy chicken and have an amazing year. To survive thru this, they will be stronger.
And like others have said, your grow spot is off the hook. Dreamy! So im hoping to see that sick selection of peppers pods up!
Thanks! I've never been a fan of topping my plants but nature did it for me. I hope I like the results. I am also pretty fond of my grow spot. Except of course, for its tendency to frost late/early. That and its a north facing slope. Gotta make do with what we have though.

Devv said:
I'm sitting on my hands waiting for a pic update!
Sorry for the delay brotha. Been a crazy week at work. I'll be planting more tomorrow. I definitely plan on getting some new pics. It will be exactly one week from frost so it will be nice to see a lot of new growth. I've got my fingers crossed.

WalkGood said:
Great to read that you experienced low casualties, the war isnt over keep da faith brethren and dont let up till you see dem huge pods coming \o/

I sure hope to have a lot of huge pods this year. I need some ideal weather for a while so they can catch back up. I don't want to be stuck with thousands of green pods when the season ends.

stc3248 said:
That's what I'm talking about!!! Getting back on that horse! Can't wait to see the new life springing forth! I wasn't joking when I said this may be a blessing in disguise...you're gonna grow some BA shrubs mark my words!!! 

Haha...and with that, we turn to a new page in Shlogg's Glog better things to come...
You the man brotha! Not only do you have an amazing glog but you keep everyone else's entertaining too. THP owes you some royalties man :).

I've never tried topping but the deed is done. Hope I become a big fan of it after this year.

It's getting late to upload pics but I have plenty of ugly sticks to show off. Lol

An overall shot of the devestation:
IMAG0640.jpg

The following pics are basically just stems sticking out of the ground. I plan on updating with pics of the same plants throughout their recovery. Consider these my baseline shots.

Most of the plants looked like this Moruga Blend with only 2 inches or less of living stem left.
IMAG0633.jpg

The same "plant", (i use the word loosely), after trimming.
IMAG0642.jpg

This Butch T is showing some new growth 3 days after the frost.
IMAG0643.jpg

A Brainstrain with a good amount of green stem. It should come back quick.
IMAG0644.jpg

This Jalabanero is the only plant that didn't show signs of new growth. Hope it pulls through.
IMAG0645.jpg

Yellow Brain
IMAG0646.jpg

BJ chocolate coming back quick.
IMAG0647.jpg

BJ peach with new growth showing.
IMAG0648.jpg

BJ yellow.
IMAG0649.jpg

I was really pleased to see as little damage as this. The night after the frost they looked much worse. I was freaking out thinking I would have a half empty garden this summer. Frost sucks, especially when it sneaks up on you.

Them are some ugly damn pics! Forget I ever asked for them! :rofl:

Good to see signs of life sprouting through the devastation. Your glog will be the inspiration this year for sure. Keep chugging brother!

Daniel,
Nature can throw curve balls, you may encounter defeats, but you must not be defeated brethren. With the skills I have seen & read about in your early glog forget everything that frost did and focus on what you do best … grow dem bad boys girls mon!!!!

BTW my monies on you winning ^_^

First time seeing your glog, harrowing stuff man. Glad to see most the plants springing back. Terrible weather and some spotting had me bummed. Now I feel like I was being a lil bitch after seeing your hardship. Seems like you know what you're doing, I'd bet dollars to donuts that you still have a good season.

stc3248 said:
Them are some ugly damn pics! Forget I ever asked for them! :rofl:

Good to see signs of life sprouting through the devastation. Your glog will be the inspiration this year for sure. Keep chugging brother!
They're ugly allright. Could be a lot worse though. I'm glad I still have a little something to work with.

WalkGood said:
Daniel,
Nature can throw curve balls, you may encounter defeats, but you must not be defeated brethren. With the skills I have seen & read about in your early glog forget everything that frost did and focus on what you do best grow dem bad boys girls mon!!!!

BTW my monies on you winning ^_^

Let's hope so. If we get a little break from the rain, I'll give them a nice soil drench of AACT. As wet as the ground is now, I want to let it dry out even if it means I can't feed them. They need a boost!

Peptacular said:
First time seeing your glog, harrowing stuff man. Glad to see most the plants springing back. Terrible weather and some spotting had me bummed. Now I feel like I was being a lil bitch after seeing your hardship. Seems like you know what you're doing, I'd bet dollars to donuts that you still have a good season.
I'll consider my effort harrowing if I still have a great season. I usually don't fus over my plants much once i get them in the ground. Now I feel like I need to push them hard to catch back up.

As bad as the damage is, I was crying too much myself. It's not that bad. It looks like I had very few losses. This is just a bump on the road.

meatfreak said:
Best of luck with your damaged plants, by the looks of it they will make it. Hopefully you don't get any frost anymore!
Thanks. Knock on wood of course but it looks like the cold weather is finally behind us. Now I just need some explosive growth from them.

Didn't take any comparison shots today. I figured it'd be better to space them a week apart. There was some improvement and I got another 24 plants in the ground today.

I noticed this mud tube a couple weeks ago and again today:
IMAG0658.jpg

IMAG0659.jpg

Anyone know what built it? I dug down several inches to find the culprit but lost the hole before I found anything. Can't be a friendly with a hole that close to the stem.

I've got a bunch of these guys on security detail though. Just in case.
IMAG0660.jpg

That is bizarre looking. My best guess is termites or ants but really I have no idea.

Or some kind of worm maybe.

Actually after looking at your location and doing some research, ill venture an educated guess that it was cicade larva from brood II. I'm not sure but they may eat roots. So not good per se.

I thought maybe cicada larva too but the diameter of the hole looks too small for a cicada. It's about the size of a pencil. If it is a cicada I'll know soon enough. There may be thousands of them everywhere. Luckily the larvae only latch onto the roots of large trees and are beyond their feeding stage.

Sorry to see that kind off frost damage. The main thing is that the ground didn't freeze. The plants are perennials and by the looks of it most will rebound....its still early in the season. I'd back off from watering, let the roots roam. Too much saturation and the intake can cause the stems to yellow before turning brown..............and you don't want that.
Good luck with the recovery, I've seen that happen in the past grows...

I'm glad to see some growth there. It just goes to show how resilient these plants can be. At least they had some decent stem size to help them survive. As Greg said about the watering, and the nutes, I'm thinking easy on the nitrogen for now as well. Until they get some leaves under their belt.

All is not lost for sure!

Keep us updated, I'm thinking some kick ass growth to be showing soon..they have their roots...

I'm glad mine aren't in the ground!  Got the same frost you did and managed to get everything covered or inside.  Looks like you'll pull through though.  Gives me hope for my sunburn blight from a few weeks ago.  Good luck!

BTW  I'm about an hour or so away, if you need a few I have some decent extra bhuts I can spare.  A couple others too, if you care to stop by and look.  Seeing my scraggly crop may even make you feel better about your growing skills. :)

PIC 1 said:
Sorry to see that kind off frost damage. The main thing is that the ground didn't freeze. The plants are perennials and by the looks of it most will rebound....its still early in the season. I'd back off from watering, let the roots roam. Too much saturation and the intake can cause the stems to yellow before turning brown..............and you don't want that.
Good luck with the recovery, I've seen that happen in the past grows...
Thanks for the tip. I wish I could back off watering. Mother Nature is pretty much in charge of that. Check out the deluge we had today.
facebook_-837092584jpg.jpg

The garden is on the right behind the playhouse. We had a few inches of rain in an hour. The water is running down the hill, so it will clear out pretty quick atleast.

Jamison said:
Ohhhh man. Sorry to see this bro! Looks like they are coming back around tho. They will be bushy monsters for sure.
Thanks brother. Hopefully all will rebound quick. If not, hey, I still had fun and have a few back up plants. We'll see.

Sanarda said:
The come back looks good. Had the same issue except mine was due to sunburn. You will have full grown babies with loads of pods in a few months. Don't fret
Thanks, I hope so. Sunburn can be pretty damaging. I actually had a few sunburned stems before the frost. I'd still take sunburn over frost damage anyday though.

Devv said:
I'm glad to see some growth there. It just goes to show how resilient these plants can be. At least they had some decent stem size to help them survive. As Greg said about the watering, and the nutes, I'm thinking easy on the nitrogen for now as well. Until they get some leaves under their belt.

All is not lost for sure!

Keep us updated, I'm thinking some kick ass growth to be showing soon..they have their roots...
They did have some pretty thick stems. That definitely helps. I would love to water with some AACT just to get the soil going but the rain won't let up. I'm not gonna wet the soil until it dries out regardless. Once they get some leaves, I'll just rely on foliar feeding until/if the rain let's up.

Pepperhead said:
I'm glad mine aren't in the ground!  Got the same frost you did and managed to get everything covered or inside.  Looks like you'll pull through though.  Gives me hope for my sunburn blight from a few weeks ago.  Good luck!

BTW  I'm about an hour or so away, if you need a few I have some decent extra bhuts I can spare.  A couple others too, if you care to stop by and look.  Seeing my scraggly crop may even make you feel better about your growing skills. :)
Wondered if you went AWOL or not. Are you gonna update your glog? If so, I'll check it out for sure.

Glad you dodged the frost. Crazy spring were have in DelMarVa. Don't worry about sunburn, they usually recover from that no problem.

Man I appreciate the offer for plants. If they don't recover as expected I might take you up on that offer. Otherwise, I'll hook you up with some pods when the season progresses.

Another few inches of rain is falling now :(

This weather is driving me nuts! Temperatures in the 40s are expected for the next 3 nights. Someone call Canada and tell them they can have their weather back.

Back