• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Shlogg's Glog 2013... Long overdue update.

Hey THP. Well 2013 is upon us, time to start growing!

I picked 27 varieties to take up the bulk of my garden space. Mostly supers but also a couple cool varieties that aren't so hot. Anyway, I soaked my seeds in a weak herbal tea blend for 24 hours, rinsed them and they are now resting comfortably in my germination tank. I'm trying cotton make-up removal pads to keep them moist instead of paper towels. They seem to work great!

My tank consists of a plastic storage bin filled with water and a fish tank heater. The heater can take a little playing with to get the temps just right but once I find the sweet spot its perfectly constant. I then float my seeds in condiment cups on the warm water. It's really works.

I did have a few hiccups in the process though. I was a bit hasty and put my seeds in the germ tank before getting the temp just right. It reached 86 degrees for a couple hours before I caught it but they should be fine. I've got them at 82 degrees now which I think is perfect. Now I'm just excitedly waiting for tap roots so I can get them all into my seedlings trays.

Here what I have going:
20 TS Moruga Blend
20 7 Pot Brainstrain
20 TS Butch T
20 Bhut Jolokia
10 TS Moruga Blend Yellow
10 7 Pot Brainstrain Yellow
10 7 Pot Primo
10 Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
10 Bhut Jolokia Peach
10 TS Chocolate
10 Douglah
10 Bhut Jolokia Yellow
8 7 Pot Jonah
8 7 Pot Congo SR
8 Billy Boy Douglah Red
4 7 Pot Burgundy
4 TS Orange
4 Devil's Tongue
4 7 Pot Chaguanas
4 Bahamian Goat
4 7 Pot Barrackpore
4 7 Pot Savannah
4 Douglah Yellow
4 Billy Boy Douglah
4 Douglah X Butch T
4 Naga Jolokia
4 Jalabanero

I believe that's it for now. I'll be adding more varieties when I have room in the grow box.

Here's a low quality shot of the boys in their bath:
IMAG0449.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks Shane and Devv for keeping up with my glog.

At this point I don't know if I will continue with updates. No only because most of my crop is damaged if not gone but also because of lack of interest. I don't want to sound whiney but I'm really blown about losing my plants. I would've liked a few "that sucks" or "sorry" comments, ya know. I thought other growers would understand how much this sucks. Oh well. Thanks to those that did check in.

Don't be that bummed about folks not checkin in...there are so many glogs these days, and its tough to get on mid week for some folks. Doesn't mean they don't care...I was really close to the point of quitting last year when the virus hit all my plants. Was gut wrenching watching the symptoms show up in one plant after the other. A couple folks on here pushed me to keep going and I ended up with a banner year in spite of the sick ones. Look as Spicy Chicken last year...lost 3 thousand plants to frost just before plant out when a wind storm destroyed his hoop house. Yours is a fun one to watch, and I personally will be extremely bummed if you don't at least attempt a salvage operation!

^^^^^^ DITTO! Only part I would edit....

"I personally will be ****ing PO'd if you don't at least attempt a salvage operation"!

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? "When" your plants recover,it will be inspirational to folks who make the same mistake. Would be a disservice to everyone if you abort. I am betting you will have some shrubbed out plants come October. Prove me wrong. Yup,I just threw down the gauntlet!!

+1 on the shubbed out. That was what surprised Spicy last year. The ones that pulled through the frost actually outperformed the rest of his plants. So he is now completely defoliating at several stages to try to simulate the frost damage from last year!

Ha, nice booger quote Pson. I'm NOT giving up on my plants. I've got too much time, money and emotional attachment involved with them to do that. I just know I would give a shout out to anyone who lost their plants. I'm very surprised that most don't. I guess I'll update if they show signs of life but otherwise my Glog was a ghost town anyway so it all good. I'll check in on everyone else's still but I'm probably done with mine.

Don't worry about people not checking your grow. My first year on this site I maybe got a few hundred looks and I was tempted to drop off the site. But I love growing peppers and developed a lot of friendships. More folks you get to know the more that seem to frequent your grow.  You seem to have a green thumb so don't give up. Like Shane I have battled mother nature from the get go and you have to just roll with it. Sometimes she wins sometimes we win. Not to late to buy a few plants from CCN/ Bakers/ or sicman  and get some nice pods come October. 

Keep you grow on man!!!!!

Dshlogg said:
It really sucks. I just found out it got down to 32 at my garden. I can't believe it was 7 degrees colder there. It's only about 4 miles away and the same elevation as here. The odds of a frost this late are very low. I had an early one last year too. I'm not sure what I'll do. I guess the best I can hope for is a late harvest. This blows.
Hopefully as others have said you’ll get them to come back, it is possible … here’s to seeing you win mon!

Dshlogg said:
Thanks Shane and Devv for keeping up with my glog.

At this point I don't know if I will continue with updates. No only because most of my crop is damaged if not gone but also because of lack of interest. I don't want to sound whiney but I'm really blown about losing my plants. I would've liked a few "that sucks" or "sorry" comments, ya know. I thought other growers would understand how much this sucks. Oh well. Thanks to those that did check in.
I know it hurts to loose plants but keep up with it, I’ve been reading along and I’ve really enjoyed your glog, it’s very good great! I can’t follow every log and I don’t always post but I do catch up and keep up with most I can.

That said, I just blew out all my “like this” allotment on your last two pages that I had to catch up from your reply to my last post. Hope this convinces you to keep up with it and I like Jamie’s idea, if you do loose a few and want more buy a couple if it’s possible or within the budget. BTW I think we all feel our glog's are neglected at times, but I doubt that stops any of us.

PS, sorry to read about the frost :/

+1 on all the posts above..

Never, ever give up, that's when you lose.

If I lived close enough to ship a few plants and could actually expect them to survive I would. If anyone knows how to do this properly, I have a few I can dig up.

Don't do that Devv. I still have other plants. My grow will continue, just probably not as planned. I really appreciate the support and thought though. If worse came to worse I would plant cover crops to use as amendments this fall and next spring. I've just gotta fill the space with something.

Aight...been a few days. Let's see the damage! What's it look like? Any signs of life? Promising looking growth at nodes? Stems still green? The initial shock and aww, damn that sucks moment is gone...lets see what's still moving!

stc3248 said:
Aight...been a few days. Let's see the damage! What's it look like? Any signs of life? Promising looking growth at nodes? Stems still green? The initial shock and aww, damn that sucks moment is gone...lets see what's still moving!
I gave them a few days so I could tell exactly how much to cut back. Tomorrow I'll do a mass leafectomy. I'll post before and after pics.

Looking forward too the pics...I saw some hopeful signs on the growdown pic (ugly as it was) you posted. Definite green new growth down low and maybe some growth at one of the upper nodes. With the roots as developed as they are any new growth should really shoot up with some lucky weather!

I'll get some pics loaded up as soon as I get a minute. It looks like close to 100% will survive. Some died back all the way to the ground but have signs of new growth just below the surface. I looks like I only lost my eggplants and a couple peppers that were still in the tray. I lucked out bigtime! It still a big setback but I'm just glad they're still alive.

This is my first visit to your glog.  Very sorry to hear about the frost damage!  We had a frost June 11th last year, so I have been in your shoes before.  You might invest in a couple of row covers.  They have saved my plants numerous times.

Your garden area is awesome though, and it's still early enough in the season for the plants to make a nice recovery.  

Best wishes on your grow!

Dshlogg said:
I'll get some pics loaded up as soon as I get a minute. It looks like close to 100% will survive. Some died back all the way to the ground but have signs of new growth just below the surface. I looks like I only lost my eggplants and a couple peppers that were still in the tray. I lucked out bigtime! It still a big setback but I'm just glad they're still alive.
Good to hear. I hadn't checked out many glogs the last few days, and I literally shouted Oh Man when I read your title. Glad to see it looks like it will work out.

Dudddeeee! Im glad to hear they will pull thru. I feel ya on the attachment to them. After going thru months babying them to final get them in the ground... and then frost comes.
I hope you come out like spicy chicken and have an amazing year. To survive thru this, they will be stronger.
And like others have said, your grow spot is off the hook. Dreamy! So im hoping to see that sick selection of peppers pods up!

Dshlogg said:
Great to read that you experienced low casualties, the war isn’t over … keep da faith brethren and don’t let up till you see dem huge pods coming \o/

romy6 said:
 Don't worry about people not checking your grow. My first year on this site I maybe got a few hundred looks and I was tempted to drop off the site. But I love growing peppers and developed a lot of friendships. More folks you get to know the more that seem to frequent your grow.  You seem to have a green thumb so don't give up. Like Shane I have battled mother nature from the get go and you have to just roll with it. Sometimes she wins sometimes we win. Not to late to buy a few plants from CCN/ Bakers/ or sicman  and get some nice pods come October. 

Keep you grow on man!!!!!
Thanks man. I've been on this site for 3 years now and I'm more than glad for that. I've learned a ton from the amazing growers on here! Luckily most of my plants look like they'll pull through so no new plants for me.

WalkGood said:
Hopefully as others have said youll get them to come back, it is possible heres to seeing you win mon!

I know it hurts to loose plants but keep up with it, Ive been reading along and Ive really enjoyed your glog, its very good great! I cant follow every log and I dont always post but I do catch up and keep up with most I can.

That said, I just blew out all my like this allotment on your last two pages that I had to catch up from your reply to my last post. Hope this convinces you to keep up with it and I like Jamies idea, if you do loose a few and want more buy a couple if its possible or within the budget. BTW I think we all feel our glog's are neglected at times, but I doubt that stops any of us.

PS, sorry to read about the frost :/

Thanks Raymon. You and a few others are the backbones of this site right now. You guys are awesome at keeping with everyone's grows as well as your own. Thanks for all the tips, props and sympathy.

highalt said:
This is my first visit to your glog.  Very sorry to hear about the frost damage!  We had a frost June 11th last year, so I have been in your shoes before.  You might invest in a couple of row covers.  They have saved my plants numerous times.

Your garden area is awesome though, and it's still early enough in the season for the plants to make a nice recovery.  

Best wishes on your grow!
Thanks man. Wow frost June 11th! That would truly suck. I'll look into row covers. I was planning on using cheap plastic sheeting that they sell at HD for painting. It should work fine for a minor frost. Only problem is, I need to remove them before it gets too hot and I'm usually at work then. I'll do it somehow if there is any chance of frost again though.

Darthpepper said:
Good to hear. I hadn't checked out many glogs the last few days, and I literally shouted Oh Man when I read your title. Glad to see it looks like it will work out.
Gotta update the title now to "Frost Almost Wiped Me Out!"
Looks like all are recovering but I'm still only cautiously optimistic.

Back