• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

¿Shop Light Question?

I never gave much thought to the acutal bulbs in my 4 ft shop flourescent light. I think they are of the soft white variety. Do yall recomend something else?

I use the Daylight bulbs as they seem to have a broader spectrum of light. I have used them for the past 2 years and they work great.

yup...I use the 6500K, Phillips F40T12/DX Alto for my seedlings...theae are the daylight bulbs...if you are looking at compact fluorescents, the daylight bulbs are 5500K...

the standard 40 watt T12 bulbs are about 2 dollars each if you buy them in boxes of 10....

I dont even know what kind of fixture I have. Its just a cheap shop light (4 ft -2 bulbs) that I got at a yard sale for $5 That whole T12 and the other T stuff has me a bit confused.

they will work in your fixture...

Just go to Menards and check out their light selection. They have all kinds of lights that will work in shop lights. I use one 6500 or 5500k bulb and one cheap soft light bulb in each one.

I used the cheapest bulbs I could find. I think it was a 10 pack at Lowes or HD. They worked just fine last year. Might have been 4100k.

Mjdtexan said:
I dont even know what kind of fixture I have. Its just a cheap shop light (4 ft -2 bulbs) that I got at a yard sale for $5 That whole T12 and the other T stuff has me a bit confused.

T12 are 1.5 inch diameter and T-8 are the newer 1 inch diameter while producing the same light. T-12 will cover a bit more area, but T-8 are more efficient. Standard T-12 is 40watts while T-8 is 32 watts...although T-8s produce slightly more lumens. Most of what you see being sold new these days are T-8's. I was told in home depot that T-12 bulbs won't fit in a T-8 fixture, but I'm pretty sure that's not true.

although they "work" shop lights are not made for growing plants. They are made to light up a "shop". I looked into them and lumen for lumen I went with a 400 watt MH and called it a day. Unless you have a small enclosed area the heat isn't much of an issue. You will pay more to run a single 400 watt MH, but if you add up the amount of light you get from 1 mh it's about the same as 3 times the amount of most "shop lights" and running 3 shop lights with multiple bulbs is actually more expensive then running a single 400 watt MH.

Pepperfreak said:
I use the Daylight bulbs as they seem to have a broader spectrum of light. I have used them for the past 2 years and they work great.

Same here. Phillips "Daylight Deluxe". The manufacturer claims that the lights provide the full light spectrum as well. Whether or not it's true I've actually been able to get my Dorset Naga, a paper lantern hab, tasmanian hab, and a couple of Peter Peppers to produce pods and carry them through to ripening. They wouldn't compete with a the production of a MH, but not bad for cheap 4' fluro's when you use them to get an early start and not much else.

I might step up to a MH or HPS bulb one day, especially for keeping them growing through winter, but like has been said, the shop lights cannot be beat for extra early seed starting.

T12s and T8s both have the same cap size (G13) so will fit the same fixture.

T5HO are far by the most efficient currently producing double the output of a T8.

The T# relates to the thickness of the tube in 8ths of an inch. Hence T5 is 5/8 - T8 is 8/8 - T12 is 12/8

Chris

Toleman said:
T12s and T8s both have the same cap size (G13) so will fit the same fixture.

T5HO are far by the most efficient currently producing double the output of a T8.

The T# relates to the thickness of the tube in 8ths of an inch. Hence T5 is 5/8 - T8 is 8/8 - T12 is 12/8

Chris

Thats information worth having in your head right there. Thank. I've been web browing and looking at the T5's, They aint cheap, but they are still cheaper that MH or HID. I've been floating around here a little to see if anybody is raising ther seedlings under MH or HID.

If I have enough cash in the fall, I would like to get either a MH or HPS light to overwinter a few plants in hopes of getting a few pods throughout the winter. That is if I can convince the wife that I do in fact need this.;)

jacob

jjs7741 said:
If I have enough cash in the fall, I would like to get either a MH or HPS light to overwinter a few plants in hopes of getting a few pods throughout the winter. That is if I can convince the wife that I do in fact need this.;)

jacob
Divide the cost up. Get the ballast you want and put it in th closet, then next month get the reflector you want and put it in the closet. Then the next month get the lamp that you want and so on and so on. That way you get eggzactly what you wanted.

jjs7741 said:

jacob

Jacob,

I just got an alert from e-bay where htgsupply is selling a 400 watt HPS system for $119, though I'm pretty sure it does not include shipping. I have one and it easily covers six plants in 14" containers and has room left over on the sides to raise some seedlings.

Mike
(no affiliation with HTG or any other company!)

Thanks for the heads up guys. Maybe I can sneak it past the wife.:cool: ...........or just get it for Father's Day.:lol:

jacob

Jacob,

Last year I spent money on lights, pots and mixes and though she who must be obeyed never said much, she didn't need to. But then I sold close to $600 worth of plants and another $200 in produce (besides filling my shelves and freezer with food). Now, she doesn't care.

Mike

Maybe if my hobby made us some money, she would be more understanding. She has suggesting selling, but with 2 young girls, working 50 hours a week and taking care of the house, not much time to hit farmers markets or the such to try and sell off. So, my excess gets shared with friends and family. She did give me a free pass for Christmas and I was able to buy a lot of cool seeds, some more pots, and other goodies. Maybe I should push my luck.;)

jacob

jjs7741 said:
Maybe if my hobby made us some money, she would be more understanding. She has suggesting selling, but with 2 young girls, working 50 hours a week and taking care of the house, not much time to hit farmers markets or the such to try and sell off. So, my excess gets shared with friends and family. She did give me a free pass for Christmas and I was able to buy a lot of cool seeds, some more pots, and other goodies. Maybe I should push my luck.;)

jacob

How would you price the superhots at a farmers market?

How much do Bhut Jolokia peppers sell for in stores? They dont sell them around here. If I am successful at growing peppers this year I will actually see one in person for the first time.

Back