• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

fermenting Should I make a mash or brine ferment?

I have fermented my peppers before to success by holding them under the surface of a brine liquid. The past couple times I have tried make a pepper mash I have gotten terrible mold. Any advice on the best way to go? Im sure it's preference, but Im kinda looking for the most foolproof way to ferment. I hat putting the work in only to have to trash because of mold. In the past I have sterilized everything, blitzed the peppers, added water and 2%salt for the weight of the peppers and water and use airlocks on the jars. I have a bunch of peppers taking up freezer space and need to get some ferments going. Thanks yall!

...Im kinda looking for the most foolproof way to ferment

Lots of folks have moved to a more "modern" way to ferment. Personally, I fermented for years, just like you have described. I have now migrated to the "fermentation lids" @skullbiker describes in THIS THREAD. No muss, no fuss. I haven't lost one ferment. They work great. I haven't tried the vacuum bag technique, so I can't offer any advice there. I have read where some people just swear by this method.

Anyway, there are a couple of alternative approaches for you. I wish you much success, regardless of the method used.

Back