vendor shout out to smokinasschilli.com

I cannot yet comment on seed quality or speediness of delivery, but so far customer service is OUTSTANDING! I just missed out on a special offer for THP members and he made good on it by throwing in an extra packet of White Bhut seeds. They should be in the mail now and I will update on the finished product. He only offers red, white and purple Bhuts at this time...don't want to start the "purple isn't a real Bhut" argument on here, but they look really cool. Give smokinasschilli a try...Australian member get free shipping and US customers pay about as much shipping as if we'd ordered them stateside. You can find a link to his special in the Hot pepper/seeds forum under his Purple Bhut post. I think its 7.99 for 50 White Bhut and 10.99 for 50 Purple which is better than most 10 packs of seeds stateside.
Hope you give him a try!

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/27263-purple-bhut-finally-here-and-special-pricing-on-whites-too/page__fromsearch__1

And the moral of the story is, if you don't really know what you are selling, you probably shouldn't be selling it. Selling large quantities of seed for something you have never grown, seen, or tasted is just not a good decision IMO. THIS is what happens. Telling customers to shut up when they are unhappy is an even worse business decision. Especially when it's on a worldwide forum for everyone to see. :banghead:

What I have pointed out several times as well is that his description of the peppers on his website and this forum were "start dark green then to light green or cream" and that if left on the bush they WILL "ripen to red" and the photos on his website clearly showed them as light green. Also, he has since pulled the seeds off his website due to the dislikes posted here...so he is receptive. We've been through all this before...again...and again...and again. I even went so far as to post links to the descriptions both on this forum and on his site. Funny thing is, I was actally only after the purple's and found the details about the whites in the process. So any amount of research, or a question asked would have preparred people for what they received.

Since white is not a natural mutation of bhuts some crossing must happen in order to facilitate the color. Obviously this was a failed attempt at that. White is not the correct title for the peppers, but his description WAS accurate. He has been more than fair with me in my dealings and still offers a very competitive price on his other seeds, and is very eager to please. His reaction to a few customers that were openly bashing him was completely justified IMO. Especially since one is a competitor also located in Australia that sells some of the same seeds he offers...very uncool.

I am enjoying my plants and my season,
I hope that everyone that reads this is as well!
Have a great THP day,
Shane

What I have pointed out several times as well is that his description of the peppers on his website and this forum were "start dark green then to light green or cream" and that if left on the bush they WILL "ripen to red" and the photos on his website clearly showed them as light green. Also, he has since pulled the seeds off his website due to the dislikes posted here...so he is receptive. We've been through all this before...again...and again...and again. I even went so far as to post links to the descriptions both on this forum and on his site. Funny thing is, I was actally only after the purple's and found the details about the whites in the process. So any amount of research, or a question asked would have preparred people for what they received. Since white is not a natural mutation of bhuts some crossing must happen in order to facilitate the color.

There is a trade section on THP to allow user's to facilitate trade without using external web sites. There was no mention initially of the way the pods ripen in the first post. The first reference to the seeds turning red on an external site that I came across was on a third party web site that listed the seeds as coming in 2002 in July 2011.

I expressed my interest in the White Bhut to John before there was any disclosure about the pods turning turning red. Full disclosure in the first post of the since deleted White Bhut thread would have been averted one of the issues.

The seed is currently listed on Ebay by John with the following description:
New import direct from India , ultra rare white bhut jolokia , the pods start green as normal , lighten to white / cream colour when mature .

Heat is up there in comparison to the red .

although as with purples if left be after maturity they will start showing some red

The colour of my pods when mature is dark red not white / cream with some red. I have two plants with two phenotypes that I have commented on in the forum. There are those of us who have not seen a white / cream stage. The signs point to somebody jumping the shark on selling a White Bhut prior to the many generations/years needed to come up with a stable variety as has been mentioned above.

What I have pointed out several times Obviously this was a failed attempt at that. White is not the correct title for the peppers, but his description WAS accurate. He has been more than fair with me in my dealings and still offers a very competitive price on his other seeds, and is very eager to please. His reaction to a few customers that were openly bashing him was completely justified IMO. Especially since one is a competitor also located in Australia that sells some of the same seeds he offers...very uncool. I am enjoying my plants and my season, I hope that everyone that reads this is as well! Have a great THP day, Shane

The liability though per consumer law in Australia falls with our supplier and not the upstream supplier. I find the idea of reselling seeds of a first time new variety an imported to Australia a curious one.

I observed the behaviour in the since deleted threads and in particular John's reaction. It was not the reaction I would have hoped for to a customer. I ask that you once again please leave the vendor verus vendor argument alone.

There is a trade section on THP to allow user's to facilitate trade without using external web sites. There was no mention initially of the way the pods ripen in the first post. The first reference to the seeds turning red on an external site that I came across was on a third party web site that listed the seeds as coming in 2002 in July 2011.

I expressed my interest in the White Bhut to John before there was any disclosure about the pods turning turning red. Full disclosure in the first post of the since deleted White Bhut thread would have been averted one of the issues.

The seed is currently listed on Ebay by John with the following description:

The colour of my pods when mature is dark red not white / cream with some red. I have two plants with two phenotypes that I have commented on in the forum. There are those of us who have not seen a white / cream stage. The signs point to somebody jumping the shark on selling a White Bhut prior to the many generations/years needed to come up with a stable variety as has been mentioned above.

The liability though per consumer law in Australia falls with our supplier and not the upstream supplier. I find the idea of reselling seeds of a first time new variety an imported to Australia a curious one.

I observed the behaviour in the since deleted threads and in particular John's reaction. It was not the reaction I would have hoped for to a customer. I ask that you once again please leave the vendor verus vendor argument alone.
Good luck with your court case.(lol)

the ones I have growing are again a totaly different phenotype

Ok first let me say, I am not judging anyone nor taking sides, just presenting my observations

notice the shape and coloring of the unripe pods, dark green and of an ovoid shape, the texture is smooth similar to habanero
the nodes have a purplish shading,....but the most interesting observance is the flowers;
the anthers color is whitish similar to C. Annuum instead of blue/purple like in other C. Chinense
perhaps this may suggest that it also has C. Annuum origins???? (just thinking aloud here)

P2220533.jpg

P2220532.jpg

P2220531.jpg

P2220530.jpg

Do you have any photos of your other two plants?

Since white is not a natural mutation of bhuts some crossing must happen in order to facilitate the color. Obviously this was a failed attempt at that. White is not the correct title for the peppers, but his description WAS accurate.

The description said nothing about many drastically different phenotypes. Why? I'll tell you why. Because he actually had no idea what the seeds he was selling would produce. That was my point. If you can't vouge for your own product, you should not be selling it. He is not selling them here anymore because most of the people here know what they are talking about. The fact that he now knows the seeds are crap, and is still selling them on ebay says a lot about the guy if you ask me. I don't understand why you are so defensive. I understand you are happy with your purchase. That's great. Other people are not. What business is that of yours?

The description said nothing about many drastically different phenotypes. Why? I'll tell you why. Because he actually had no idea what the seeds he was selling would produce. That was my point. If you can't vouge for your own product, you should not be selling it. He is not selling them here anymore because most of the people here know what they are talking about. The fact that he now knows the seeds are crap, and is still selling them on ebay says a lot about the guy if you ask me. I don't understand why you are so defensive. I understand you are happy with your purchase. That's great. Other people are not. What business is that of yours?

First off...I started this thread as a shout out to him because he offered a really fair deal IMO...and now that it is out there of MY doing, I am just trying to make sure everyone gets all the facts. I will admit he kinda went off on this sale half cocked...and I've stated that I think the name is inappropriate. My real complaint is that the folks that have the "issues" with the seeds keep popping back up after they claim to be done, and they never really gave the guy a chance to figure out a way to make them happy. They just started shouting from the rooftops on every thread they could find. If it were as simple as a post that said "Not as advertised, don't spend your money" I would have been completely fine with that. The bashing actually started in a thread in the Hot Peppers Seeds section witch clearly stated.."Business only not for critique" and got so bad that the entire thread had to be removed...

You ask what business is it of mine? Like I said I started this thread. Will I order from him again? I dunno...depends on how these turn out and what else he has to offer in the future. Am I getting any special favors or hook ups for defending him? Absolutely not...

So what business is it of yours that I am passionate about it? He's a good guy, and eager to please. If they'd have given him a chance he would have made it right...

Shane

It makes no difference who started a thread in the vendor vault. Everyone is allowed to post their feedback, good, bad, or otherwise. That is why it is here. You just happened to be the first person to start a topic about this particular vendor. That does not mean you are the designated moderator for this topic. I added my $0.02. Now I will move on. I have no hard feelings with anyone. :cheers:

It makes no difference who started a thread in the vendor vault. Everyone is allowed to post their feedback, good, bad, or otherwise. That is why it is here. You just happened to be the first person to start a topic about this particular vendor. That does not mean you are the designated moderator for this topic. I added my $0.02. Now I will move on. I have no hard feelings with anyone. :cheers:
I am definitely not trying to make myself some sort of self proclaimed thread moderator. I simply stated that I started it and now I feel some responsibility for what I feel is unjustified bashing. I just don't understand why its considered acceptable for folks to rant on & on and be uber passionate about their dislikes, but if someone is passionate about the good service they received everybody wonders what's up???

I don't understand why you are so defensive. I understand you are happy with your purchase. That's great. Other people are not. What business is that of yours?

I will use your words to respond to that...

Everyone is allowed to post their feedback, good, bad, or otherwise. That is why it is here. .

Carefully read each and every post I have made on here and you will verify that not once did I ever discourage any opinions...and even reinforced some of the negatives. Just trying to ensure that ALL the info was out there. So that anyone reading this will be able to look at all the info...then make a determination as to whether or not they would like to give this vendor a shot.

No hard feelings on this end either...
How is your greenhouse? Is it up and running? Haven't looked at that thread in a while...

Shane

I had planned not to come back into this mess, BHUT...

I am just trying to make sure everyone gets all the facts. I will admit he kinda went off on this sale half cocked...and I've stated that I think the name is inappropriate.

If you want everyone to get all the facts, please acknowledge the vendor's early claims that these peppers (purple and white) never turn red. Just look at my earlier comment on the first page of this very thread for relevant quotes from the now-deleted threads in the marketplace forum. I think we all believe the vendor had no intent to deceive, but rather was mislead by his own supplier. The problem I have (and I suspect others, though I can't speak for them) is that the vendor never came back to say, "look folks, I was mistaken, sorry". A simple acknowledgement of error would have gone a long way toward defusing the current situation.

As a side note here, I realize now I was mistaken in thinking denoting a color in the name of a pepper invariably implied that was the color of the mature pod. Apparently that is the case for red, yellow, chocolate, orange, and brown, and often, white, don't know about the peaches, but purple and black in a name seem to imply only an immature color phase en route to a red mature pod color. This was news to me; I learned something. In fact, the only pepper I've come across that actually seems to have a purple pod at maturity is the Pimenta da Neyde. I haven't found a true black yet. Anyone know of one?

My real complaint is that the folks that have the "issues" with the seeds keep popping back up after they claim to be done, and they never really gave the guy a chance to figure out a way to make them happy. They just started shouting from the rooftops on every thread they could find. If it were as simple as a post that said "Not as advertised, don't spend your money" I would have been completely fine with that. The bashing actually started in a thread in the Hot Peppers Seeds section witch clearly stated.."Business only not for critique" and got so bad that the entire thread had to be removed...

The guy has had every chance to issue a mea culpa and has chosen not to do so. No one is shouting in every thread; initial complaints were aired inappropriately and mistakenly in the marketplace thread and moved to the vendor vault after that mistake was pointed out.

Interesting that he's not selling white on his website now only the Red and Purple ....So I agree that if he is genuine he should come on here with an apology for his bad suppliers and lack of QA/QC.
I also agree that people on both sides of the argument should leave well enough alone and simply say their piece and move on. Its not doing anything except reflect badly on themselves in my opinion (no matter how valid there argument may seem)

Pics of purple bhut , seeds supplied by me and grown out by Firedupchilli a long term buyer of mine and organic chilli grower in Mareeba Qld

053.JPG

Thanks Col mate for the pic and the ripe red pods can clearly be seen on the plant hope that clears the purple bhut question !!!!!!

Purple finally ripening to red . waiting on pics of whites and will post when available

I just ordered 50 purple seeds from smokin and I believe what he is saying, I briefly scanned the above postings, but my vote is with a picture which to me says 1000 words. I ordered white's from him about a month ago, and I was amazed they arrived from down under so quickly. I am not taking sides in all of this, and am a newbie here so I want to tread lightly.

Ghosty...

Back