vendor shout out to smokinasschilli.com

I cannot yet comment on seed quality or speediness of delivery, but so far customer service is OUTSTANDING! I just missed out on a special offer for THP members and he made good on it by throwing in an extra packet of White Bhut seeds. They should be in the mail now and I will update on the finished product. He only offers red, white and purple Bhuts at this time...don't want to start the "purple isn't a real Bhut" argument on here, but they look really cool. Give smokinasschilli a try...Australian member get free shipping and US customers pay about as much shipping as if we'd ordered them stateside. You can find a link to his special in the Hot pepper/seeds forum under his Purple Bhut post. I think its 7.99 for 50 White Bhut and 10.99 for 50 Purple which is better than most 10 packs of seeds stateside.
Hope you give him a try!

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/27263-purple-bhut-finally-here-and-special-pricing-on-whites-too/page__fromsearch__1

the ones I have growing are again a totaly different phenotype

Ok first let me say, I am not judging anyone nor taking sides, just presenting my observations

notice the shape and coloring of the unripe pods, dark green and of an ovoid shape, the texture is smooth similar to habanero
the nodes have a purplish shading,....but the most interesting observance is the flowers;
the anthers color is whitish similar to C. Annuum instead of blue/purple like in other C. Chinense
perhaps this may suggest that it also has C. Annuum origins???? (just thinking aloud here)

P2220533.jpg

P2220532.jpg

P2220531.jpg

P2220530.jpg

Thanks both of you for your photos, just wanted to see how everyone elses was coming along.
This isn't meant to be a fight, just showing observations and also showing other people what they might be in for if they buy this particular variety. I'm just glad I didn't get the couple of hundred seeds to the nursery in time for my farmer otherwise Id be paying thousands of dollars on pods that i cant do anything with.
Anyway I gave these plants plenty of time to come good and I can now say that they are nothing like what i was expecting.
Grant did you buy the purple ones also? I think some other peoples purples start looking like that? Not sure though so dont take my word for it.

Got to say my brother's purple bhuts plants are looking purple. I think it is difficult, maybe ground testing before dealing may be the best way to make sure. I'm not sure you can guarantee anything, if you are buying from abroad. I bought some white off a guy in Sri Lanka and I can see red matter in the seeds. Very disappointing.I have to say, I've dealt with the guy(you mention) and always been more than kind to me.I am not sure he needs to apologise for an unreliable dealer.If it's possible, maybe he can send you some more seeds he's grown himself.

I didn't buy the white bhut, they were given to me by Nova, I have 3 plants growing all have different characteristics
not laying the blame on anyone, more than likely Smokeinass was ripped off by his supplier
as for the purple bhut I didnlt grow, I have one called Purple Naga, and this plant is very similiar it has pink flowers though????

yep probably ripped off by his supplier, however he mentioned he was buying something like over 1 million seeds. You would think that if you are going major big time you would grow it out first just to make sure? Still an apology would be nice. If you went to any shop and bought something that wasnt as described the shop that sold you the product would first apologise and then try to sort it out for you (refund/exchange), not attack you.I'm probably a bit old school and believe in keeping your customers happy. Anyway he obviously doesn't care about me as a customer, so will just leave it at that.

yep probably ripped off by his supplier, however he mentioned he was buying something like over 1 million seeds. You would think that if you are going major big time you would grow it out first just to make sure? Still an apology would be nice. If you went to any shop and bought something that wasnt as described the shop that sold you the product would first apologise and then try to sort it out for you (refund/exchange), not attack you.I'm probably a bit old school and believe in keeping your customers happy. Anyway he obviously doesn't care about me as a customer, so will just leave it at that.
You made your point- I think we understand that. I'm not sure why you didn't try to resolve it privately. Vendors getting at each other hardly makes me want to buy. All my seeds off of him were A quality. I've never bought off of you and I'm not sure I will after you made it so public. I'd never do that to a vendor- poor form - IMO. You probably don't need my business and I understand that, but vendor outing is not my kind of thing.

Fair enough, if i had my own name as my username rather than this i would still say it all. Im saying this all as a customer not as my business. the main reason i said it on here was to help others not waste their money too as i know how frustrating it is. I've probably gone a bit overboard but im just so sick of spending so much money on seed and upkeep then it doesn't turn out right and wasting time and space.He hasnt once tried to contact me and resolve it but i will put it to rest now. I know it doesnt look good saying it as a business but if i made up another username you guys would be suss anyway. its funny how other people can not recommend someone but i cant. Anyway thats the end of it. see ya

You made your point- I think we understand that. I'm not sure why you didn't try to resolve it privately. Vendors getting at each other hardly makes me want to buy. All my seeds off of him were A quality. I've never bought off of you and I'm not sure I will after you made it so public. I'd never do that to a vendor- poor form - IMO. You probably don't need my business and I understand that, but vendor outing is not my kind of thing.

Please don't drag up the vendor versus vendor argument again.

There are those of us that are interested in the results of growing out the seeds that John imported.

There is a risk associated with importing seeds and selling them prior to growing them out to verify authenticity. In this instance it didn't go the good way.

the ones I have growing are again a totaly different phenotype

Ok first let me say, I am not judging anyone nor taking sides, just presenting my observations

notice the shape and coloring of the unripe pods, dark green and of an ovoid shape, the texture is smooth similar to habanero
the nodes have a purplish shading,....but the most interesting observance is the flowers;
the anthers color is whitish similar to C. Annuum instead of blue/purple like in other C. Chinense
perhaps this may suggest that it also has C. Annuum origins???? (just thinking aloud here)

P2220533.jpg

P2220532.jpg

P2220531.jpg

P2220530.jpg

I ate half of a small pod at the end of dinner to try the flavour for myself. It had a similar flavour to the other two C. Chinense x C. Annuum mongrel plants I have. I put good odds on my first plant having C. Annuum in the mix. The one thing I do not want to taste when eating a supposed C. Chinense pod is any C. Annuum flavour.

I'm a newbie here and have no idea of what you mean Vendor v Vendor again. I have my opinion and it's to do with manners and good business practice. Conducting this kind of business can be done in private first, not an ongoing soap. I buy a lot of seeds and product, I'm not sure who you are, but manners make the man.His reputation is good with me.We have no real proof that you used his seeds. I can only speak for myself, and for the other growers that got his seeds. Namely, I and my colleagues who bought and grew his product. So far- Excellent, wonderful , great. Sorry, if that is not the answer you want promoted here.I don't know the other vendor, so what are you talking about Vendor vs Vendor.I'm not going get drawn into childishness and unprofessional behaviour. Business is business and seeds are always risky.

IMO

Good vendor, timely, responsible, generous to a fault, and hard working, that's my point. He did an amazing thing for me in South Korea and at a reasonable price.He didn't need to to. Let's be fair, if you're gonna paint the negative, then I'll sing the praises to provide a balance. All commissions welcomed.(lol). Adios.

I have documented the progress of my first plant not being true to its description. There are photos that document the change of colour during ripening.

I can not fault how John handled the transaction. The seeds were delivered promptly after payment. What I am providing now is feedback on how the product has grown out.

There is very little information to be found on this White Bhut and there are other people who appreciate seeing the results.

I can give you a cheap source for you white bhutt, purple and red maris from Sri Lanka in bulk if you really want to grow these.

I'm sure that if you can get hold of them, many people would be interested.
I wasn't going to chime in on this s***storm, but I tend to believe (and would prefer to) that if there was an issue it was not intended. On all sides.
It seems clear they ain't "white bhuts", if anything consistent at all. I purchased seeds from smokin' and I didn't get the feeling he was intentionally shafting people (and if he was that's his problem ultimately).
I can fully understand why people get annoyed when we have so many 'NOTS' coming up (poor harry!), especially if the said person is trying to operate a business.
You put money into your plants, it's understandably frustrating if you don't get what you where sold.
Basically, it's good for a sellers reputation to assure his products authenticity, and alike; we have to be careful how we condemn if things aren't right.

I'm a newbie here and have no idea of what you mean Vendor v Vendor again.
Let's be fair, if you're gonna paint the negative, then I'll sing the praises to provide a balance. All commissions welcomed.(lol). Adios.
Yes everyone is allowed their opinion and you are free to say yours also.
I can give you a cheap source for you white bhutt, purple and red maris from Sri Lanka in bulk if you really want to grow these.
That would be nice as I would love to grow these but as you said it contained red matter, so my guess is they aren't going to be much different. I would love to make a white sauce but dont want it to have an unripe taste to it if it is only a phase in ripening. I have white Fatalii and white 7 pot that i also grew for the first time this year that have produced nice colours, so maybe i stick to them.
I'm sure that if you can get hold of them, many people would be interested.
I wasn't going to chime in on this s***storm, but I tend to believe (and would prefer to) that if there was an issue it was not intended. On all sides.
It seems clear they ain't "white bhuts", if anything consistent at all. I purchased seeds from smokin' and I didn't get the feeling he was intentionally shafting people (and if he was that's his problem ultimately).
I can fully understand why people get annoyed when we have so many 'NOTS' coming up (poor harry!), especially if the said person is trying to operate a business.
You put money into your plants, it's understandably frustrating if you don't get what you where sold.
Basically, it's good for a sellers reputation to assure his products authenticity, and alike; we have to be careful how we condemn if things aren't right.
I think you said it all well.
I should have chosen another way to go about this and maybe chosen my words differently, it was first meant as a question in another thread and then I got told to ask it here and then people started accusing me of bringing it up everywhere and then I had to start defending myself and it got out of hand. Ijust wanted to know what they should look like and if I was the only one getting this.
I'll be the first to say it: Sorry for the way things were handled but I didnt want anyone else being as disappointed as me and thought people should know.

My dealer or Vendor info-

skype= galgodage
Email= galgodage@gmail.com
Web= www.seeds-lanka.com

Prices- see dealer "LAKMAL" for those try this guy- i might have my order wrong or misplaced my seeds. I ordered them ages ago. He does have pictures of white chilli and purple maris- but it could be doctored and looks like it has a slight tint of green perhaps. White and purple bhutts may be just myth and we have to accept like some flowers, ie that is is merely a stage of growth and enjoy them for that. Well, from Sri Lanka- they've got to be different. Contact him. I think, I might have lost them. I do have stupidly large and unnecessary collection.However, I am planning a world Event here one day as I stated a long time ago. The 5 K's Chilli Event in 2020.

His prices are so cheap- not always sure that's good- he'll be doing powder soon.

Can't comment on pod color yet...but my purple bhut plants are growing quickly and look beautiful...
P1000241.jpg

as for the whites. Smokinass was nice enough to throw them in my purple order as a gift because I just missed out on a special he offered on here to THP members.

I understand your concerns with color and flavor being that you make sauces and those two being off make a huge difference in that. I will also say that I personally am not growing either variety expecting "bhut flavor." I grew bhuts and chocolate bhuts for that. I was actually excited to read that they are not that hot! My 10 yo son is an aspiring chilihead...and if he can eat something that kinda looks like what daddy is eating he will be stoked.

What is irritating is not your opinion...its how you share it. Then beat it into the ground. You shared, said you were done, then shared, said you were done, then shared...and I am sure you will share again! We get it...you're not happy, SOME OF US ARE! So just let it stand at that. Your photos and opinions are here and clear for everyone to see...

Hope everyone is having a great season!
Shane

I was actually excited to read that they are not that hot! My 10 yo son is an aspiring chilihead...and if he can eat something that kinda looks like what daddy is eating he will be stoked.

I ate half of a small 3 cm long pod after dinner. It had the same strange Chinense x Annuum flavour that I have experienced before. The Annuum flavour is dominant with some Chinense. The pod had enough heat to light up my ears via my sinuses and light up my stomach. Hence you will need to screen the pods yourself to gauge the heat that your plants produce.

No thanks. I'm sitting out on the White Bhut next season and will be a mere spectator. I noticed that some of the seeds in my pack from smokinasschilli had red pith attached. The white varieties I have grown in the path do not have red piths.

What I really wanted to do this season was make a white sauce using a fruit such as pear as the base.

And the moral of the story is, if you don't really know what you are selling, you probably shouldn't be selling it. Selling large quantities of seed for something you have never grown, seen, or tasted is just not a good decision IMO. THIS is what happens. Telling customers to shut up when they are unhappy is an even worse business decision. Especially when it's on a worldwide forum for everyone to see. :banghead:

I'm not sure a multi- national CEO can test drive every BMW, try on every pant and bra. Caveat Emptor all around. However, the seller is unlikely to be happy about being lambasted on an international site.Can anyone say he has had ample time to access the situation and react? The real moral of the story is "think before you jump!" lol. Sorry to people who feel they have been hard done by. Talk to the guy, he seems nice enuf.

"There is no such thing as natural law, the expression is nothing more than a silly anachronism … There is no such thing as right, except when there is a law to forbid a certain thing under pain of punishment. Before law existed, the only natural thing was the strength of the lion, or the need of a creature who was cold or hungry, to put it in one word, need. ~ " Stendhal

Defer not till tomorrow to be wise,

Tomorrow's sun to thee may never rise.
~ William Congreve

Remember in this instance the seller used the forum to sell the seeds. Justifiably then members should be free to provide feedback in the forum.

The Vendor Vault forum was created to provide an area for feedback. Having seed not turn out as expected is a risk of the trade. What will make or break a reputation is now how the issue is handled by the vendor.

Back