• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Show us your Ghetto growing gear.

What a great spot for your greenhouse.
Looks like the plants absolutely love it!
Tell me about the colored lights.

What a great spot for your greenhouse.
Looks like the plants absolutely love it!
Tell me about the colored lights.

The colored lights are hooked up to a thermo-cube outlet on the roof of the porch. So they come on at 35 degrees and go off once the temp reaches 45 outside. It works great, and the temps in the greenhouse would be 45-50 degrees on nights it would frost. Now that I am moving some of my starts in there, I wanted to keep them growing, so I bought a little heater. I left the lights hooked up because they're on a different circuit than the heater, and will act as an emergency backup. The heater keeps it between 70 and 90 degrees in there and they have really started to take off!

SD530765.jpg

Wally World $14

SD530763.jpg

SD530764.jpg

I tried several potting mixes...the little yellow ones were an experiment with some cheaper stuff...I am using Kellogg on all my starts and have repotted those in it as well. Its a bit twiggy, but it drains well and the plants are doing well in it. My worm garden and compost piles are doing well, and I plan to try again at plant out by amending some cheap potting mix with home grown worm castings and compost and see what kind of difference it makes. I am also going to try a few in a complete homegrown mix of soil/castings/compost and see how that works as well.

Thanks for looking
Shane

Awesome - Your plants look great! The lights are a great solution! Your ideas about soil are things
I'm very interested in. My thinking about soil development and plant propagation are based a lot on
ideas from Biointensive gardening theory. The soil health receivess the utmost attention.
John Jeavons has some good soil receipes in his 'How to Grow More...'book. An excellent
resource; perhaps you are already familiar with it?

Thanks for sharing your setup in detail :halo:

That's a major cool set-up. :drooling:
You have a lot of great starts there!

That's a major cool set-up. :drooling:
You have a lot of great starts there!

thx... they're starting to grow their new set of leaves... they're under a two bulb T5HO lamp... i also have a 75W blue reptile heat bulb in there... it's pretty warm that way... also have a pad under dome to heat stuff up...

Your kids will miss those cups! :cool: Great ghetto gear!

LOL... i got them and i found more... i dunno where they came from, but they are perfect... and thanks...

I keep hearing Elvis in my head every time I read this thread...
On a cold and gray Socal mornin'​
A poor little baby pepper's born
In the ghetto (in the ghetto!)

And his mama cries
Cause if there's one thing that she don't need
It's another thirsty scorp to feed

People, don't you understand
The chili needs a helping hand
Or he'll grow to be an angry young pepper some day
Take a look at you and me,
Are we too blind to see,
Do we simply turn our heads
And look the other way
Well the world turns
And a hungry little pepper in a Elmo cup
grows in the lights of a chicken brood

You have perfectly captured the ethos of the moment :halo:

Way clever!

There once was a pepper named Primo
When I slept it crept in my dreamos
I woke up and ate
made me perspirate
and now I'm in need of some beano.

Squash are nice,
Beans are good,
I love all kinds of veggies and foods.
but when they're prepared,
most people are scared,
'cause they know I thew in some Bhuts.

lol...Its hard to not use profanity in these.

AJ, if you are standing at that table, cut you some pieces of 2" PVC about 2' long (or whatever length you need) and slip them onto the table legs to raise it to a comfortable height. Works wonders for your back!

Standing Height Potting Bench:

DSCN3421a.jpg

growlights2.jpg
My cheapjack shop light setup with a sawhorse to hang the light from with screw eyes and parachute cord. I only bought the sawhorse brackets and screw eyes. The scrap 2x4 lumber and parachute cord I already had on hand.

All right, yankee ingenuity! I like the adjustable feature!
Is that Dr. Pepper you're giving the seedlings?

Dang, Sman - I thought you had some kind of secret weapon there.
When do you start feeding kelp extract, and why kelp?

Dang, Sman - I thought you had some kind of secret weapon there.
When do you start feeding kelp extract, and why kelp?

Hmmm...I would say that is probably a kelp extract so closely resembling a dr pepper that it actually mimics the flavor as well!

Back