• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Show us your Ghetto growing gear.

You've cobbled together a nice unit there. I like that you could store the stand
easily in pieces and just throw it together when needed. Seems quick and easy.
May your efforts this season be productive!

ive just made my new grow area,i covered my garden table with wall lining paper and lined the underneath and sides with emergence blankets and lined one side with Velcro strips for easy opening and closing,the table is in my bedroom and when its all shut it gets to about 25c inside,ive just ordered a lcd timer for the fans to place on the inside.

Photo08-02-2012144020.jpg

Photo08-02-2012143935.jpg

Sweet little set up - looks like the iittle guys are lovin' it!
And close to your bed so you can keep an eye on 'em
and comfort them at night!

This was originally a box lined with foil as a failed attempt. The old walls became shelves. Framework got re-purposed to do the job here. 3 mirrors that someone was giving away on freecycle.org with the addition of lights and drywall screws so the shelves can be moved up and down as the plants grow.
100_1544.jpg

Luckily it doesn't need to be moved.
Thinking about making a non ghetto version and doing the screws straight, since my boys helped with these, and while I love the memories, the crooked ones can be a bother.

Ghetto it is then....

DSCN0488.jpg

Cant adjust the hight of the light, so i adjust with pots under the trays lol.

Love this. Great way to store the pots for pot up.

i like i like.. I hope this fits the mould as ghetto as it cost me bugger all and looks like i put it together with cat poo and sticks..

You think this is just an ordinary melamine cupboard didn't you?
IMG_0488Medium.jpg

I converted it to a grow cupboard and ...
IMG_0492Medium.jpg

Below it's still a handy paint cupboard..

IMG_0493Medium.jpg

Two computer fans , one up high , one down low on opposite sides.
IMG_0490Medium.jpg

Rigged up to some power packs I found that matched the voltage/amps etc - electrical tape holds the wires together nicely.

IMG_0494Medium.jpg

And this is the results , i have been using this setup for a couple of years .. those comp fans have never been off.
IMG_0491Medium.jpg

No one would ever know - except the whole world now.
IMG_0495Medium.jpg

My $90 greenhouse/dutch oven.
IMG_0497Medium.jpg

And my ghetto potting area with authentic car ramps/timber potting table.
IMG_0500Medium.jpg

This was originally a box lined with foil as a failed attempt. The old walls became shelves. Framework got re-purposed to do the job here. 3 mirrors that someone was giving away on freecycle.org with the addition of lights and drywall screws so the shelves can be moved up and down as the plants grow.

Very nice - three adjustable shelves and looks like a lot of grow power in there!

I hope this fits the mould as ghetto as it cost me bugger all and looks like i put it together with cat poo and sticks..
Not bad for cat poo :lol:
Two computer fans , one up high , one down low on opposite sides.
IMG_0490Medium.jpg

And this is the results , i have been using this setup for a couple of years .. those comp fans have never been off.
IMG_0491Medium.jpg

No one would ever know - except the whole world now

Best use of a paint cabinet I've seen! Perhaps stupid question, but are you
using the fans for ventilation, or just to blow the air around?

Great looking starts, Frenzix.

Hey Frenzix, it looks like it was your $90 greenhouse/dutch oven that was made from cat poo and sticks... My grow tent has the same framework! How strange is that?

Very nice - three adjustable shelves and looks like a lot of grow power in there!

Best use of a paint cabinet I've seen! Perhaps stupid question, but are you
using the fans for ventilation, or just to blow the air around?

Great looking starts, Frenzix.

He thanks bottom fan is in and top is out for ventilation

Hey Frenzix, it looks like it was your $90 greenhouse/dutch oven that was made from cat poo and sticks... My grow tent has the same framework! How strange is that?

Must have been from the same sweatshop in china

some great setups in here guys :cool: thought i'd share my homemade 26 site EZ cloner, costs about $128 all up (way cheaper then the real thing)
68L tub $20 (free already had it)
Submersible pump $50 (free already had it)
Pool noodle $2
360 degree misters $6
3/4 inch pipe and fittings $50
You guys in America could probably get things cheaper but i'm from a small country town in Oz so here is a couple of pics
030.jpg

029.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

Nice work, Benzo! Didn't even know such an apparatus
existed. Checked them out on line - yours is less than half
price before shipping! Now lets see some pics of this thing
in action!

Yeah thnx guys haven't fired it up though. Simply aeroponics best form of hydroponics due to an oxygen rich environment but also things can go wrong extremely quicly due to not having a growing medium acting as a buffer. Worth a crack though coz you supposedly can get 90-100% rooting rates.

I don't know much about hydro/aero-ponics, but I like reading and seeing
what you guys do with it. Intriguing idea to think about.

Yeah thnx guys haven't fired it up though. Simply aeroponics best form of hydroponics due to an oxygen rich environment but also things can go wrong extremely quicly due to not having a growing medium acting as a buffer. Worth a crack though coz you supposedly can get 90-100% rooting rates.

i built one, but i use actual plugs from a real cloner... they're like 50 cents each and reusable...anyways.... i have cloned everything i wanted, except chili plants... i just can't root a single one... totally weird...

All right. Want to officially jump in here. My setup has cost me $0 thanks to friends. Last night Justaguy came over with and wired up an old overhead fluorescent because I needed more light. Now when I open the closet door, it's like the sun. First year from seed so I imagine improvements will be made, eventually...

Some leggy bastards (thai fire, aji yellow). I will bury them yet again on transplant.

All right - ya got er goin' now, Seth!
Welcome to Ghetto Gear Central.
My yellow aji wants to shoot for the sky, too.
Good luck growing out!

Got this idea from CCErnst! I went a little larger scale though...here is CC's glog thread.

http://www.thehotpep...__fromsearch__1

Now for mine...was already running the 2 T8 shop light fixtures. Things were moving pretty slow under them though.

2 x 100w equivalent daylight bulb 4 packs Home Depot $10 each (only used 7)...7 x plug socket adapter @ $1.50 each...So $30.50 total and I had a bulb leftover for my porch light...

P1000222.jpg

Lights with socket adapters...

P1000223.jpg

I already had the 4' workbench power strip...

P1000224.jpg

There are a total of 12 outlets I went every other one...added one more to the near end so 3 in a row over the more mature plants...could add up to 5 more.

P1000225.jpg

Really don't think I need to...my light meter now pegs out in there. The T8's look like they're off...but they're not. Might actually have to raise them a little more.

P1000226.jpg

I think I could lay in there to tan...I am half blind from looking into this thing. The 3 in the bottom right are recovering from an unfortunate greenhouse incident a few days ago...all the green pots were moved in from the greenhouse...to see how they do compared to the ones outside. I got these running 24/7 right now, but will cut them back to 16/8 in a few days.

Almost forgot the most ghetto part!
P1000227.jpg

The coat hanger chain mod to angle the T8's inward...x4
Shane

Back