• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Show Us Your Pubes! Group GLOG From The Rocoto Giveaway

I am starting this thread for folks who received some Pubescens seeds from me through the Pubescens giveaway. I figured it would be fun to see everyone's progress, plus have a general place to share any pics, growing techniques, and general Pubescens knowledge. I wish everyone great success in their gardens this year.

Even if you didn't receive seeds from me, and want to contribute info about your Pubescens plants this year, please feel free to share.

They grew really well...lots of pods in hiding...and there are more  flowers so s'more in the works.
ypUWfS9.jpg

TsE0MrX.jpg
UbOk7Mn.jpg

Great looking pods there!

That double rocoto looks really gnarly. I haven't had many double rocotos grow from ine flower externally like that, but I have had quite a few that develop a second small pod inside of the larger pod several times.

CaneDog said:
Soup-to-nuts in 4.5 months is impressive!  Looks like your rocs are really coming through for you.  Been an odd year for me and mine have only recently started ripening.
For sure. I hope you get a big rocoto haul this season, man!

Thegreenchilemonster said:
My mino red rocoto is starting to pod up pretty well. Not too shabby for seed started in late April.
Very nice Dale!
Soon I will start some Rocoto seeds.
I really miss them.

CaneDog said:
Soup-to-nuts in 4.5 months is impressive!  Looks like your rocs are really coming through for you.  Been an odd year for me and mine have only recently started ripening.
My rocotos usually start ripening late August, then really kick it in gear throughout September and October. How many monhs do you have left in your season?

Thegreenchilemonster said:
My rocotos usually start ripening late August, then really kick it in gear throughout September and October. How many monhs do you have left in your season?

The season is usually good through roughly the end of September.  No frost, but the temps drop and cold rain kicks in, which kills the hots pretty quick and slows any rocotos ripening to a crawl.  The trick is extending through October like you're getting, which really increases total production.

I typically move some to pots and put them under the eaves on the south of the house where it's dry then eventually some go indoors by a big south window for a final couple weeks.  This year I have hoop houses for 2 of my 5x10 beds, which should keep the rain off and up the heat 10F+/-.  It's no fun pulling the plug on the rocotos when they're still heavy with pods so I do what I can.

Well, my best Miraflores that hasnt produced a single pod all year has at least a half dozen on it. Its just like i suspected that when the night time temps drop it will start to go nuts. We had a bunch of low 70s and mid to high 60 nights the last couple weeks. Just picked a mini red off my very mini indoor plant. Figured i would start 2 for next year inside very early. They kinda look like hell atm but got a few pods on them :D

I don't have any pics, but I successfully grew the Peruvian Red Rocoto.  Had plenty of pods too, really good. Didn't have any
luck with the Aji Oro.  They just did not want to grow for me.  The Aji Limo Rojo did very well.  Interesting that they don't have
a lot of seeds in them like other peppers.  The Aji Dulce were very nice and had a good size to them. They will all be returning next year.   Thanks a lot for the seeds Dale.

Back