• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Show us your Scotch bonnets

Dis one a true beauty me pick yesterday. So lovely .... ya naw see

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

ScotchBonneta.jpg

Dis da same one . Shows more of the cap for JAH. JAH this cap looks big to me , but without a reference it's hard to tell the size of yours or mine . I'm always trying to learn more , and cap size is something I never thought about.

I also have a picture of a Trinidad Perfume I can PM you if you want. I don't want to post it here and hi-jack this
thread.

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

ScotchBonnetb.jpg

See it's hat is not much wider than the stem it's connected to :) And mine on the pic is three times wider than the stem and it covers all the top of a pepper.
calyx1.jpeg

Personally I find the chocolates taste much different than red or yellow chinenses and I can usually tell what color a chinense chile is by taste alone

Well now don't I feel silly. I've had some Jamaican Yellows growing all this time :oops:. I'm always one step ahead of myself! Anyways, here's a few pics of the pods on a plant that I swore was going to die on me because of crappy soil, aphids and mites. It's not a large plant (only about 1' tall or so), or producing very much, but it does have about 6 or so pods on it. Hopefully I can get them to ripen up quickly because my season is about to end.

resizedjamaicanyellow002.jpg

resizedjamaicanyellow001.jpg

moyboy said:
I really am at a loss as to why I haven't yet grown a scotch bonnet?

I really like the thought of them. Hopefully Tony05 will have extras seedlings of the type he is growing then I'll finally have a SB...:)

He is growing the FARIA (TOBAGO SCOTCH BONNET)

I sent those to him and they are from Trinidad.They don't really have a Scotch Bonnet shape,they are just Trini standard and are red and very popular there.I have Jamaican Scoth Bonnet,yellow and perfect Tam o Shanter form avail.I've always offered seed an doesn't sem to be much interest...This is a must have for any Caribbean collection!
pix0352.jpg

I'm thinking this pod is about perfection...

Gee scoville, you must've offered before I got on here. I wouldn't mind some true SB seeds if you still have some up for grabs.

moyboy said:
I really am at a loss as to why I haven't yet grown a scotch bonnet?

I really like the thought of them. Hopefully Tony05 will have extras seedlings of the type he is growing then I'll finally have a SB...:)

He is growing the FARIA (TOBAGO SCOTCH BONNET)

I have 3 up so far! So we are looking good bro!

Some very fine looking Chillis there folks. Love em.

cheers

Here's some of mine. I think I bought these plants at Longs or RiteAid Nursery. I thought they'd just die quickly . I was wrong. Pretty much your basic run-of-the-mill orange bonnets. But they're going crazy, so I can't complain.
IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

Here are my first ripe Scotch Bonnets ever. Awesome shape. These still tasted kind of "green," i'll let the rest ripen a little longer on the plant before harvesting.
tjsbfirstripe.jpg

Yellow Scotch Bonets

I have some yellow scotch bonnet plants growing varying in size from 12" tall to about 24".Unfortunatly they havent started producing fruit yet, but I think they are doing pretty good for my first attempt. They are currentlly growing in 3 gallon pots with miracle grow organic potting mix. If anyone has any advice on anything else I should do to improve growth and production of these plants please feel free to share. I can post some pics of my plants if someone would be kind enough to tell me how to attach pictures to my post.

Thanks!

Finally getting to post to this thread after watching it for some time now.

The first 5 peppers from my Scotch Bonnet plant went into a sauce that's documented in another thread (http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=14284) and those peppers were all sort of diminutive and habanero-shaped. The peppers on the plant right now are classic Scotch Bonnet-shaped and lovely. They're also a good bit bigger than the first ones I'd picked.

bonnets1-1.jpg

bonnets2-1.jpg

bonnets3.jpg

The color is a little funny though, they're somewhere between a bright canary yellow and an orange habanero. I expected them to be more yellow and less orange. At any rate, the heat is good thus far. The taste (at least on the smaller ones) when eaten raw is a bit more capsicum-ish (bell-peppery) than I remember Scotch Bonnets being. I'm hoping that the bigger ones have the flavor that I'm expecting.

Probably a couple more days before this set of 8 or so get picked and put into another caribbean sauce.

UnNatural said:
Here are my first ripe Scotch Bonnets ever. Awesome shape. These still tasted kind of "green," i'll let the rest ripen a little longer on the plant before harvesting.

I noticed mine is producing peppers that are tasting green to me too. I dunno what that is. I picked one when ripe and let it sit on the counter for a couple days before I ate it and it was still pretty capsicum-ish.

You have a great shape on those. Mine aren't quite as typical- Scotch-Bonnet-looking as that.

I have just picked the finest Scotch Bonnet I have ever grown...it is a Foodarama Scotch Bonnet and I WILL be growing them next year...

091509a003.jpg

see the face?

091509a006.jpg

091509a007.jpg

dang that finger looks well used....

Back