• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

ShowMeDaPowda!!!

I sent this out on a new post, but think this thread will be fine to continue.  Recent powders.  Yellow Hab. = Scotch Bonnet, and Red Hab. + Red Bhut.  A little definitely goes a long way.  I also make smoked versions, when production is moving along.  Kinda quiet right now.

Attachments

• IMG_2345.jpg
    IMG_2345.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 106
ShowMeDaSauce said:
Small sample of mostly chee wah lee negro with less than 25% rojo. The powda is milder than i imagined and much sweeter too.
72lUz5O.jpg

afvUgZd.jpg

ltrwSr2.jpg
Nice .... I just picked a couple dozen Chilhuacle Negro no more than an hour ago (pic on my glog).  We dry whole and make powder too.  

Its not like anything i have ever tried before. Im super happy i got a couple seedings to try out. Pods dry fast too. I cut out the seed core first. After drying at 120F i preheat my oven to 170F. Place the pods on a cookie sheet. When the oven is up to temp i kill the heat and put the cookie sheet with the pods in the oven until the oven cools off.

Not sure if it really changes the flavor of the pods but it does cut down on any bacteria/mold living through the drying process.

Waiting on some supers to finish drying so i can begin my next experiment.

After that i want to try something mild so im going to give the Habanada a shot. Sweet no heat hab powder might be useful. Grinding supers is agony unless i do it outside. The Habanada powder would give me an option for mixing down supers without using other spices like the Kirkland seasoning. I can tell you just 1 tsp of Scorpion powda to 1 TBS of the Kirkland is still pretty damn spicy. I often add something like aji panca/paprika/onion flakes to that mix too and its still got quite a bit of zip.

I guess this is the thread to post progress. Right now I am just am doing enough for sampling. I do like the Red Scorpion flakes very much but got little production. The best is the Urfa Biber but I think I need to take more care in the drying process. Now to find recipes that can use the powder. Help needed!

o9guQPj.jpg

What did you use to grind this powder? I always use a coffee grinder but I don't like the result...

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Small sample of mostly chee wah lee negro with less than 25% rojo. The powda is milder than i imagined and much sweeter too.
72lUz5O.jpg

afvUgZd.jpg

ltrwSr2.jpg

Same, I use a bladed coffee grinder. It became my pepper grinder after my wife had some 7 pot powdered coffee after I used it, heh heh.

That is exactly how I ended up with my cheapo grinder. The chopper used for baking is way coarse and the coffee grinder grinds a little too fine. But after the grinding the reapers both were permanently mine! 

I use a handful of uncooked rice or lentils to clean my grinder.

Ive read of an interesting way to produce a "flake". Partially dry your pods. Roughly half way done. Then run them through a hand crank meat grinder. Lay out the ground peppers on parchment and continue drying.

I made some nice powder from the fake pepper x, rose pepper, black pepper and timur pepper. Works nicely with chicken, fish and lamp or seafood. Smells strongly citrus or grapefruit and a bit of pepper x and rose pepper sweetness and a hint of black pepper. But the heat with this one is strong. 

Back