• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Shrimp Tanks

Never heard of moss balls till now I had to google it but it sounds like it wouldn’t hurt but to be honest 5 -10% water changes weekly or bi-weekly would be probably be more effective controlling nitrates.

I agree absolutely with Grass Snake. Water changes are as essential for shrimp as food or... well having water in the tank in the first place!! The quantities he cites sound ideal

Java ferns tolerate low nutrient levels without suffering foliage lesions, discolorations, or loss of leaves. Low plant nutrient levels -- low ammonium, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate -- make for heathy shrimp.
Try this: establish Java ferns and Anubias (both of these aquatic epiphytes grow on driftwood, but their rhizomes can grip rough-surfaced rock too). Both grow slowly, so also plant some hardy bunch plants where they won't crowd the Javas/Anubias.

As they get bigger, phase out some or all of the bunch plants. When the Javas/Anubias are big enough to absorb enough of the nutrients toxic to shrimp, they will act as a "capacitor" or "shock absorber" for any sudden upsurge in, say, ammonium ions -- which is what happens when a snail or shrimp dies of old age or any other cause.
A single animal dying, in certain circumstances, could theoretically cause cascade reaction (a.k.a. "the domino effect"), each animal's death polluting the water further, and wiping out all your shrimp in a fairly short time.

A large biomass of Java ferns and/or Anubias makes this far less likely. Both species are less demanding than many other aquarium plants, and a large pet store is likely to have more than one cultivar of each (for esthetic visual variety).

When your bunch plantts start showing stunted growth, it's time to start -- gradually -- phasing them out, as the shrimp's feces are no longer enough to feed them with the nutrient competition of larger-growing Java ferns and Anubias.

Note: do not plant Java ferns or Anubias in gravel as their roots will die. Google for details, but i used fishing-lline to gently tie mine to driftwood.

mikeg said:
I agree absolutely with Grass Snake. Water changes are as essential for shrimp as food or... well having water in the tank in the first place!! The quantities he cites sound ideal

Java ferns tolerate low nutrient levels without suffering foliage lesions, discolorations, or loss of leaves. Low plant nutrient levels -- low ammonium, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate -- make for heathy shrimp.
Try this: establish Java ferns and Anubias (both of these aquatic epiphytes grow on driftwood, but their rhizomes can grip rough-surfaced rock too). Both grow slowly, so also plant some hardy bunch plants where they won't crowd the Javas/Anubias.

As they get bigger, phase out some or all of the bunch plants. When the Javas/Anubias are big enough to absorb enough of the nutrients toxic to shrimp, they will act as a "capacitor" or "shock absorber" for any sudden upsurge in, say, ammonium ions -- which is what happens when a snail or shrimp dies of old age or any other cause.
A single animal dying, in certain circumstances, could theoretically cause cascade reaction (a.k.a. "the domino effect"), each animal's death polluting the water further, and wiping out all your shrimp in a fairly short time.

A large biomass of Java ferns and/or Anubias makes this far less likely. Both species are less demanding than many other aquarium plants, and a large pet store is likely to have more than one cultivar of each (for esthetic visual variety).

When your bunch plantts start showing stunted growth, it's time to start -- gradually -- phasing them out, as the shrimp's feces are no longer enough to feed them with the nutrient competition of larger-growing Java ferns and Anubias.

Note: do not plant Java ferns or Anubias in gravel as their roots will die. Google for details, but i used fishing-lline to gently tie mine to driftwood.
Sounds way better than moss balls. Makes me wanna set up a freshwater tank now. Maybe when I buy that new rimless shallow tank I’ve been eyeballin I'll use my old tank for freshwater.

here are some tank pictures I hate the second pic sorry for poor quality. I have decide im going to up size my aquarium to like 3 gallons.

IMG_5942_zps5ad6e5d7.jpg

IMG_5951_zps09fb1f0d.jpg

this looks very cool

http://img-2013.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/27/ame5u2ys.jpg

Wow that thing is small! I thought you were packin more than that.  :lol: But yeah I would suggest at least a 10 gallon. The thing about small tanks is that they require alot more attention and leave little room for error. Any little change can throw off the water parameters drastically which equals Instant Death! A 10 gal would be alot more stable and manageable and not all that expensive. Plus if you want to have alot of shrimp your gonna need some more room.  

Very true most likely will do that plus I can do all my fancy decorating in it lol. Might keep that tank as a breeder tank to produce pure babies as it has worked with these guys for the past year or so. You should definitely do a freshwater tank would love to see what you guys could do with a shrimp tank. I am actually very into these guys now I want to set up a small group of people who raise these and trade them or just exchanged tank ideas fish are too complicated I like shrimp they are simple bettas are as far as fish go with me.
http://www.planetinverts.com/Invert%20Tank%20Setup.html

Great read for creating a starter tank

My farm may be doing it large scale in about 5-10 years, it was one of the things that helped me convince the folks to let me install my aquaponics system here.  My dad's been talking about raising shrimp for decades and with freshwater shrimp you can grow vegetables.

mikeg said:

Could you ideally place oysters in your system as a safeguard against nutrient spikes?  Just curious.

I think you guys are growing the wrong plants with your aquarium water :P

Ikeepfish, you would probably have to grow some crop that subsists on 20-40ppm nitrogen... or a legume that sequesters its own (and even then, all the oher nutrient levels would be low).

I think that pond-raising tilapia, and aquaponically growing kale-crops might be ok... the Ca, Mg and pH would match up nicely.

I haven't looked up the relevant data, or done any figgering, soo i can't speak with any certainty... my first exposure to all this was a book by "the New Alchemists", back in the 1970s.

PM me if you think it would be an interesting discussion. I hope you do, your idea sounds fascinating.

Pardon nightshade, i think i'm highjacking one of the niftier threads here.

They are very fun to watch. Its all good its all relevant its all about raising shrimp whether it be raising it for food or fun.
Sluggy said:
Yeah I have Amano shrimp. 

They are amusing to watch and do somersaults when I feed them. 

Could you post a picture or two of your tank and setup

Not exactly freshwater, or mine, but have you seen the video of an emperor shrimp meeting a sea worm for the first time. A bit of backstory on it is that this species of shrimp doesn't walk on its own, and instead rides around on sea slugs or worms. This one had been without companion animal for a few months, and its reaction to finding one is the most excited I've ever seen one.
http://youtu.be/3Q3sMtyUmac?t=4m52s

I have a red cherry shrimp tank with some swordtails and a lot of java moss and driftwood and them seem to be multiplyin by the month... I just bought sum green shrimp let's see how they do! Fish keeping and growing hot peppers what a life!!!!!! Lol

Shrimps! :D your tank looks nice dude

Never actually kept some but they are pretty cool. Used to have few fish tanks 200L, 160L, 60L and 40L. But that was some time ago when I used to have more time. Maybe I need to get some now after seeing this thread :)

RalphTheChilihead said:
I have a red cherry shrimp tank with some swordtails and a lot of java moss and driftwood and them seem to be multiplyin by the month... I just bought sum green shrimp let's see how they do! Fish keeping and growing hot peppers what a life!!!!!! Lol

ooh been eyeing those greens!! post a pic if you get a chance.
Chilima said:
Shrimps! :D your tank looks nice dude

Never actually kept some but they are pretty cool. Used to have few fish tanks 200L, 160L, 60L and 40L. But that was some time ago when I used to have more time. Maybe I need to get some now after seeing this thread :)

they are pretty neat

Back