• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Simp3204 2020 Garden #2

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for disappearing for a few months, I got crazy busy with life and took some time away from updating my Glog.  Garden #1 went pretty strong up until December and got hit hard by a storm when I was out-of-town for work.  I am making some much needed upgrades this year to get started early, including seed heating mats, a new Sansi grow light and a small "greenhouse" outside.  I will update this a little later with a picture of my current seedlings that are growing pretty strong.  Grow #2 looks to be off to a much more organized and healthy start than Grow #1. 

My pepper grow this year consists of seeds from White Hot Peppers, Lawrence Family Farms, The Hippy Seed Company and a few plants from Baker Creek Seeds.  Most of you already know Justin from White Hot Peppers and Trent from Lawrence Family Farms on the forums here. 

https://www.whitehotpeppers.com/
https://lawrenceproduce.com/
https://thehippyseedcompany.com/
https://www.rareseeds.com/

I look forward to hearing from everyone and following along with everyone's 2020 grows.

Simp

Current babies starting to set their 2nd set of true leaves, with a few seeds in the top corner trying to germinate. I’m going to try to germinate a few more varieties this week and see if I can get a few more plants for 2020.

45607663a24206e5bfe8cbfe063b44b5.jpg

I will also be doing some more Kratky lettuce so my fiancé doesn’t give me any heat for all the peppers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking great, Jason. I notice you are growing
an F3 Cinder. Are those seeds from Bhuter?

That's a variety I'd like to grow next season.

PaulG said:
Looking great, Jason. I notice you are growing
an F3 Cinder. Are those seeds from Bhuter?

That's a variety I'd like to grow next season.

The F3 Cinder are from Justin @ White Hot Peppers, which should be from Bhuter.  If I remember correctly he still has some in stock on his website.

Below pics are about 5.5 weeks of growth, all seeds planted at the same time.

I gave seeds that were planted with these guys more time to germinate and there a still a few popping; 3 more reapers, 1 biker billy jalapeño, 1 Bahamian goat (which might not make it) and my only seed for sugar rush peach. No clue why I have so much green algae growth, I’ve kept the humidity good off the tray for 3 weeks.

2504a799c43f123cd751a1c8877d212f.jpg

8d847412d8f8bce0db436c530e79371d.jpg
c4af300bc55be8b5be1b6cee36f2a22d.jpg
5d88c2c76ba43efb0c419bd578728bc3.jpg
bd31ee52c16eb693032e36e7debaf7ae.jpg

+1 Definitely looking good, Simp.  I think algae gets aggressive with long photoperiods.  I don't usually get much, but I was running T5HO lights over rock wool 24/7 for a while to keep temps up and I ended up with a fair amount on the cubes.

Looks like you sprouts are starting to hit their stride.  My nursery bag plants have exploded with growth recently, now that the roots have filled out in the bags.  You may be needing a bigger tent soon!

CaneDog said:
+1 Definitely looking good, Simp.  I think algae gets aggressive with long photoperiods.  I don't usually get much, but I was running T5HO lights over rock wool 24/7 for a while to keep temps up and I ended up with a fair amount on the cubes.

Looks like you sprouts are starting to hit their stride.  My nursery bag plants have exploded with growth recently, now that the roots have filled out in the bags.  You may be needing a bigger tent soon!
I think my plants in the nursery bags are due to explode in the next few weeks. I’m setting up heating pads in my little grow tent on Sunday and am going to move everything outside towards the end of April/early-May.

“Winters” are typically mild in Southern California and it seems this one is going to be quite mild. We haven’t had much rain to cool down the ground and it doesn’t seem like the experts are expecting any frost this season. I bought a couple 10’x25’ plastic sheets, just in case, when I move my plants into their permanent cloth bags (mix of 5 and 10 gallon, a few 20 gallon).

Those look great! I wouldn't worry about
the algae too much.

It will be nice when you can get those into
their final homes.

PaulG said:
Those look great! I wouldn't worry about
the algae too much.

It will be nice when you can get those into
their final homes.
Thanks for the boost in confidence that things haven’t gone south on me! [emoji23]

Since California is full on social distancing, like many other places, I have tons of free time. I’ll be working from home for at least a few weeks.

All my extra time is going into my garden, some extra reading and some video games (my fiancé might murder me since she’s home too).

I’m done planting peppers for the year and finished planting a few more varieties of tomatoes and some eggplant (not for me, I despise it) today.

I finished up prepping my second garden area and promptly forgot to take any pictures. The 10 second walk outside isn’t happening at the moment, but I’ll snap a couple pics later today.

This Bahamian Beast Peach F3 from White Hot Peppers is quite a looker.

63eeae849717db1782266b49e821c9b9.jpg

This Brown/Chocolate Ghost is from Lawrence Family Farms and is as pretty as the BB Peach.

2300e0d373e9d2cbfa657ee836be18e1.jpg

Found a pretty garden protector just chilling on the side of my place.

1a25eb2e392a4e3d61bf72d84ae51757.jpg

f93f479c7e1d9bcb3773a252a76d9a1b.jpg

Awesome mantis photos, Jason!
Wish we had those there. We have
to make do with ladybird beetles
and lacewings.

Your plants are looking great, happy
and healthy. Keep up the good work.

That mantis hung out pretty much in the same spot for about 4.5 hours yesterday!  I also found a small, brown, baby mantis barely longer than an inch, however, I didn't have my phone on me to snag a picture.  Due to my professional background and now my garden I have become my friends go to for the "impending" COVID apocalypse.  I can only imagine the shenanigans for everyone on here like Canedog, Paul, Skullbiker, etc... that have actual skills in the garden (also assuming skills elsewhere) with your family and friends.

At this point just trying to keep calm and keep my
head down, Jason. My wife , son and I are just staying
home. Of course, that’s mostly what I do anyway! The
‘apocalypse’ is pretty much already here. More rural
states/areas will feel it sooner or later, with less resources
than the big metro areas. Could get bad for lots of folks. 

As for ‘actual skills’, you are being most generous in
my case, my friend! Sometimes I feel like I’m muddling
along.

My entire family, outside of my younger brother and myself live in rural Kentucky and they are having similar issues to us in Southern California. Grocery stores are being ransacked for water and TP and food hoarding has started.

Their city has around 7000 people in it, so they only have 3 or 4 grocery options. I’m guessing the local farmers and gardeners are going to be a big boon in the coming months.

This year I’m still going to be rocking the same cloth grow bags as last year, and most likely only keeping 2 or 3 of last years plants. On top of that I’m making 10 double bucket systems and will compare them to the grow bags.

First two double buckets. One with Ednas best and the darker one with Fox Farms Ocean Forest:

b7da7ecb81b776e45f94c4df2f7a7d0f.jpg

dc4dc329b534d3c5358bfc74097f54a6.jpg

Back