• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Simp3204 2020 Garden #2

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for disappearing for a few months, I got crazy busy with life and took some time away from updating my Glog.  Garden #1 went pretty strong up until December and got hit hard by a storm when I was out-of-town for work.  I am making some much needed upgrades this year to get started early, including seed heating mats, a new Sansi grow light and a small "greenhouse" outside.  I will update this a little later with a picture of my current seedlings that are growing pretty strong.  Grow #2 looks to be off to a much more organized and healthy start than Grow #1. 

My pepper grow this year consists of seeds from White Hot Peppers, Lawrence Family Farms, The Hippy Seed Company and a few plants from Baker Creek Seeds.  Most of you already know Justin from White Hot Peppers and Trent from Lawrence Family Farms on the forums here. 

https://www.whitehotpeppers.com/
https://lawrenceproduce.com/
https://thehippyseedcompany.com/
https://www.rareseeds.com/

I look forward to hearing from everyone and following along with everyone's 2020 grows.

Simp

The ‘Dutch Bucket’ idea looks like a great method.

What is the advantage of a bucket vs. a tray? Is it
more like a Kratky set up?

PaulG said:
The ‘Dutch Bucket’ idea looks like a great method.

What is the advantage of a bucket vs. a tray? Is it
more like a Kratky set up?
Honestly, I’m not sure about any advantages but I’m hoping it will help with the extreme heat (115-120 degrees Fahrenheit) we get at my place. I have the buckets set up with a 3-inch water reservoir in the bottom, so I’m hoping it will help.

At the least I’m hoping it won’t hurt and will perform as well as the cloth planters. I’m also really bored with this quarantine and I need projects to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simp3204 said:
Honestly, Im not sure about any advantages but Im hoping it will help with the extreme heat (115-120 degrees Fahrenheit) we get at my place. I have the buckets set up with a 3-inch water reservoir in the bottom, so Im hoping it will help.

At the least Im hoping it wont hurt and will perform as well as the cloth planters. Im also really bored with this quarantine and I need projects to do.

110F? Wow. Where you at Palm springs area?

Your temps are higher than we get here for sure. We get highs of 105 on occasion, usually below that by a few degrees. And my peppers hate that. So based on a user (Siv) who's close to me, and had better success than me, I planted 12 plants in containers. I put them on the East side of the wind fence. We shall see. I do use 30 & 40% sunshade which helps.

I'm not bored staying home so much as kind of frustrated about not being able to go where I want. We shall get through this!

Plants look great! Carry on!

I’m out in Riverside, so most likely right in between where you’re at Mr. Joe and Palm Springs. That heat wave we had with the drought was intense. I somehow knocked my AC off one of the days and it got so hot in my house that it popped a container of honey open in my cabinets.

I’m definitely using 30 & 40 sun shade and the shade from a walnut tree. I’m going to expand on the shade usage this year for all of my pepper plants, instead of about half of them.

simp3204 said:
Im out in Riverside, so most likely right in between where youre at Mr. Joe and Palm Springs. That heat wave we had with the drought was intense. I somehow knocked my AC off one of the days and it got so hot in my house that it popped a container of honey open in my cabinets.

Im definitely using 30 & 40 sun shade and the shade from a walnut tree. Im going to expand on the shade usage this year for all of my pepper plants, instead of about half of them.

Cool deal, I'm right up the road a bit. I work in Fontana, but I live up the hill

Mr.joe said:
Cool deal, I'm right up the road a bit. I work in Fontana, but I live up the hill
That’s not far at all!

I just checked and the highest recorded temp is 118, which has been recorded 3-times. The last time was July 6th, 2018, which is about a month after I moved into the area.

Mr.joe, I’m not sure if you got as much rain your way as we did over in my hood, but it kept me from getting my peppers and tomatoes out of my little greenhouse.

I spent about 6.5 hours today potting up my plants and putting together a janky self-wicking container in a 27 gallon (I think that’s the size) Costco tote. I have 12-14 more peppers to pot up, but I think I’m 6-8 cu ft short of finishing up.

I’ll take some better pictures tomorrow, because I was just a little tired after finishing up. I will be moving things around in the coming weeks once the soil has settled some.

e24916d238901f5875636fb2f6ed5887.jpg

a4dc208d03cf82f7f2b2bc3f54e07935.jpg

c9c3086ace23a34e97f5abc921dae3e4.jpg

3a491cceb7114a317f6050ce1025a2aa.jpg

Found this little guy putting in the above tomato:

f933aa4c71203437b27ab12d2d22fbc1.jpg

Had some free time between meetings today and decided to hangout in my garden area.

Happiest of my 4 jalapeño plants, planted in all Happy Frog mix. So far it is beating the Ocean Forest and Ednas Best jalapeños.

06307da2aa4e4debac1ad5915de568e0.jpg

2891b6320cdec58cb791efa5413faf0b.jpg

I had a corner of my garden area setup with some plastic over a few plants because the night temps were hitting around 40-42. The temps are finally swinging to normal Spring temps in Southern California (just noticed my battery percentage).

c21dc378cea046a6c784ebbed59fdb42.jpg

I’m not ready for those 96 degree days, but I have a feeling the peppers are going to enjoy it. Due to the heat I took the plastic down and discovered a nice earwig nest. I took my torch to it and flushed them out of the cinder block and torched a few more times.

98045c727b7429b448a0a2dfc0a8d560.jpg

1e1e197315bcb7d1caa55ede11b3f7bc.jpg

4df5263f6a0a23f4a418d591d34f18b3.jpg

That nest is the reason I complained so much in last years Glog. I’m about to setup some more earwig traps like I did last year.

I’m glad I am only renting the place I’m in and don’t own it, because the earwigs are everywhere and I’m not sure even an exterminator could get them out.

simp3204 said:
Im out in Riverside, so most likely right in between where youre at Mr. Joe and Palm Springs. That heat wave we had with the drought was intense. I somehow knocked my AC off one of the days and it got so hot in my house that it popped a container of honey open in my cabinets.

Im definitely using 30 & 40 sun shade and the shade from a walnut tree. Im going to expand on the shade usage this year for all of my pepper plants, instead of about half of them.

Wai-wai-wait.......hold up here. RIVERSIDE, you say? No shizz? I grew up in Corona (not from virus fame. Lol). Went to Centennial High, Corona High, Buena Vista High; kept getting expelled. For those not aware: Corona is in Riverside County. Yes, hot, dry, bright, dusty, crowded........

But I find that amazing! Small darn-world!

Back