• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Simple habanero hot sauce recipe

I'm an absolute novice at making hot sauce but this recipe is a huge hit with family and friends.
  • 24 habaneros(stemmed)
  • 1 cup carrots
  • 1 cup onion(I used purple)
  • 4 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup lime juice
  • 1 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 1 TB Morton's hot salt
  • 1 TB hotshot pepper (or just regular black)
  • 2 TB's veggie oil
I sauteed the carrots, onions, and garlic for a few minutes on medium heat until everything seemed soft, and then I threw all ingredients into my Ninja blender and pureed the heck out of it. I returned it to a saucepan and brought it to a boil and then lit it simmer for a while. What I didn't do was check Ph level, I'm not really 100% sure what purpose it serves, and I didn't sterilize my jars properly. I washed out jars with anti-bacterial dish soap, rinsed them out thoroughly and called it good. I'll be doing it properly from now on!!! Anyway, After it's sat in the fridge for a day or two, I give it a good shake and upon first tasting it, I taste lime...and then immediately after that, heat!!! Not overpowering by any means but definitely not for sissies either. I took some to work and everyone loves it. It's not exactly a smooth sauce, and it's kinda runny, you gotta keep stirring or shaking it but other than that, I think I did a pretty good job, I'll see what I can do about posting pics...

I personally would drop the veggie oil. I assume the salt and pepper(black) are for taste, so to each their own. here is a link with some great info on bottling
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/14991-hot-sauce-making-for-an-uber-newbie/ post#4

SD530562.jpg
The veggie oil was just to saute the veggies. I didn't know what else to use.

should be fine then. With your vinegar and lime juice I would think the pH should be around the right area. boil/simmer for 30 minutes before bottling. Sound simple and good. I have a few half pint mason jars downstairs with a similar simple sauce in them. Every time I open one it seems to be better.

Back