• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

condiment Simple Salsa

2qt. Diced tomato
4 tbsp Salt

Put tomato in a bowl and add salt. Stir well and let sit in the fridge over night. Next day, drain for at least an hour but the longer the better. Do not rinse the tomato.

-1 Bell pepper chopped, yellow makes a great contrast but green is fine too.
-1 onion chopped
-Cilantro chopped
-Hot peppers to taste. I used a couple Jalapenos and about 6 Thai in my last batch for a lower heat but tasty combo.
-Fresh cracked black pepper
-Cumin
-2 tsp sugar
-Chopped garlic to taste. I like a lot.
-1/2 fresh squeezed lime

Makes a nice fresh simple salsa. By salting and sitting overnight the water get drawn out of the tomato and helps keep the salsa from getting too watery.

Works great and leaves the tomato with the perfect salty taste so no need to add more later. You'll be surprised how much liquid is actually released. I know I was.

I just made a bunch of salsa yesterday and I noticed how much liquid I got just chopping the tomatoes. That is a good idea draining them well. I made mine with 8 large Washington Boro tomatoes also known as Jetstars. I good sized red onion, 4 jalapenos and about 8 red serranos. A bunch of cilantro, garlic powder, juice of a lemon, and a lime, olive oil, sea salt, and cracked pepper. It is very mild(I'm taking it to my nephews birthday party), but tastes awesome. That recipe produced 6 pints.

Nice. Not sure what tomatoes mine is made from since they came from my grandad's garden. I made some salsa last week using all cherry tomatoes that was really good and sweet. Not sugar sweet but...you know what I mean.

My batch is very mild. I might up the hot stuff with a few more Thai peppers and maybe another Jalapeno or two. That is all I have pepper wise so I am pretty limited. I have a handful of Hab. plants in the ground but they got a late start so no pods yet. I will probably be potting a couple habs, a Thai, and a Jalapeno plant and bringing them in so I can have peppers all winter. Might build a hot box for the basement and get some shop lights too.

"I swear officer. That indoor grow is just hot peppers!"

Another idea, which is admittedly more work, is to grill/roast the tomato/pepper/onion/garlic.

Basically, I cut tomatoes in half, generously salt them, slice onion, salt that too. Brush with oil and grill. Roast the peppers as well. It makes the tomatoes easy to peel, you eliminate a ton of water, and the grilling/roasting really makes the flavors come alive! Unless you're really in a hurry, the extra effort is well worth it.

Roma tomatoes are great for salsa; very thin skin, lots of flesh, less water inside.

What tomato did you use here?

My Hot salsa

What I missed in India was Jalepenos and Habs for my salsa.
I love chunky salsa and hence my salsa has crunchy tomato, onion and Garlic along with Jalepenos and Habs (grilled).
I use cilantro and in spices, I use Clove powder, Cinnamon powder and Cumin powder.

Lime juice and sugar for yin and yang.Salt goes in without saying.

Of late, I add a tea spoon of Naga paste (fresh/frozen) per 700 gms bottle of salsa.

Herez how my salsa looks

4078986584_c7d15b1cf2_o.jpg

NJA

I prefer to use Roma tomato to any other variety. This is for color and crunchyness.

Pepperfreak said:
Nothing beats homemade salsa. Nothing!

you said it man. Nothing can come close to home made salsa.
One thing I hate about commercial salsa is , you never know what you are eating. Tomato or Squash or Pumpkin and lotsa color.
Another thing I hate is corn in any form except popcorn.

NJA

NIce job NJA, Just made some homemade quacamole all i need to do is make up some homemade salsa which i have never done (except at work)and we'll be looking good. What do you strain it in and how long?

Noshownate said:
NIce job NJA, Just made some homemade quacamole all i need to do is make up some homemade salsa which i have never done (except at work)and we'll be looking good. What do you strain it in and how long?

Noshownate,

Thanks for the encouraging words.

What do you mean by "What do you strain it in and how long?"

Could not get you there.(Do you mean how do I remove excess tomato juice or sumtin like that?

NJA

Back