• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Single leaf with red patches?

This only happened on one of my plants. I notice that one leaf looks just like the one below, so I decide to cut it off, but upon moving it, it pops cleanly off. I noticed the patches from a week back, starting with one, then becoming this. Is this nute burn, or a bacterial infenction of some sort? I don't notice this on my other leaves. I also notice that my leaves are ridiculously dark too.

dsc00262u.jpg

Are the red spots dead spots on the leaves?

The pronounced bubbling on the younger leaves may be a sign the plant isn't taking up as much Calcium as needed.

Pretty sure they are dead spots. As for the leaves. is that why the leaves appear bent and bubbled? If that's the case, then it's probably time to get some CalMag.

Thats N def and a bit of leaf spot. No big deal. Just feed a little and spray some sulphur. Plants will feed off the lower leaves first when they are beginning to needs N, hence the yellow leaf. Came off the bottom of the plant right? :)

Thats N def and a bit of leaf spot. No big deal. Just feed a little and spray some sulphur. Plants will feed off the lower leaves first when they are beginning to needs N, hence the yellow leaf. Came off the bottom of the plant right? :)

Nitrogen deficiency? Hard to believe, since my fert is loaded with N, but that makes sense. I notice very slight tip burn on some of the lower leaves as well. If the plant is deficient in nutrients, does that mean I should ferillize every week instead of 2?

Nitrogen deficiency? Hard to believe, since my fert is loaded with N, but that makes sense. I notice very slight tip burn on some of the lower leaves as well. If the plant is deficient in nutrients, does that mean I should ferillize every week instead of 2?
How much light are the lower leaves of the plant exposed to?

Is the plant growing in a small cup?

How much light are the lower leaves of the plant exposed to?

Is the plant growing in a small cup?

The pots are pretty small, they measure 6 inches across, 6 inches tall. I think they are root bound. My 2 gallon pots will arrive in the mail soon, so I can transplant and see if that makes a difference. Here is the whole setup with a quarter for reference.

dsc00264g.jpg

Not hard to believe at all really. Ya see, plants don't lie :) Transplanting would be great though! As for feeding that often, you shouldn't need to. What are you providing in terms of N-P-K? What is your "fert"?

Not hard to believe at all really. Ya see, plants don't lie :) Transplanting would be great though! As for feeding that often, you shouldn't need to. What are you providing in terms of N-P-K? What is your "fert"?

I generally use a mix of leftover GH nutes in a seedling concentration, then add a 12-6-6 nute with it. This time around though, I added a more balanced nutrient to prepare for blooming, which cumulatively should be 7-6-11 by adding the NPK of all 3 bottles together.

That leaf that you pulled off maybe has bacterial leaf spot.
As far as the other leaves being so dark green, maybe not enough light?

I'm pretty sure there's enough light for the plants. As for the leaf spot, is there a way to control it? I have some powdered sulfur at home. Otherwise, is there a nutrient deficiency or toxicity that causes these symptoms? Or could it be from being in too small of a pot?

I'm pretty sure there's enough light for the plants. As for the leaf spot, is there a way to control it? I have some powdered sulfur at home. Otherwise, is there a nutrient deficiency or toxicity that causes these symptoms? Or could it be from being in too small of a pot?
The yellowing of the lower leaf appears to be between its veins.

My primary reference is the Symptoms of Deficiencies and Toxicities by Element article. Another article, Impact of Mineral Deficiency Stress, is useful due to its list of conditions that cause nutrient deficiencies.

There's also a chart that was posted a while back that you may refer to for a visual representation of deficiencies:
when a plant is calcium deficient, the margins tend grow at a slower rate than that of midrib or center portion of the leaf. thats why you tend to see distortion with calcium.

we can infer its not nitrogen because nitrogen is mobile and begins at the bottom of the plant and moves towards the top. we can infer it is not magnesium because mag also shows up on older leaves first, it also tends to show up in the leaf margins first as interveinal chlorosis.

this imo is the best flowchart for deficiency symptopms. keep in mind some of these symptoms can also be caused by PH etc.
nutrient_deficiency_flowchart.gif

i dont think anyone here is claiming its 100% calcium deficiency, or at least i am not. it just seems to strongly resemble it.

IMO you should take stock of what exactly you are giving the plants using that website i linked. your fertilizer bottles should have all the necessary information. use saltmix.xls or that website i linked.

I didn't think the issue was lack of Nitrogen given the dark green leaves and the presence of yellowing between the veins of the leaves. I first thought that the issue affecting the older leave was a Magnesium deficiency. In my experience though Magnesium deficiency hasn't caused the affected leaves to drop easily as in your case.

Transplanting them into bigger containers will probably go a long way towards solving the issue.

Reactions: Emu
Thank you! I'll transplant them soon. They're in 3/4 gallon pots atm, and being about a foot tall, I'm pretty sure they are root bound.

I generally use a mix of leftover GH nutes in a seedling concentration, then add a 12-6-6 nute with it. This time around though, I added a more balanced nutrient to prepare for blooming, which cumulatively should be 7-6-11 by adding the NPK of all 3 bottles together.
The yellowing of the lower leaf appears to be between its veins.

My primary reference is the Symptoms of Deficiencies and Toxicities by Element article. Another article, Impact of Mineral Deficiency Stress, is useful due to its list of conditions that cause nutrient deficiencies.

There's also a chart that was posted a while back that you may refer to for a visual representation of deficiencies:

I didn't think the issue was lack of Nitrogen given the dark green leaves and the presence of yellowing between the veins of the leaves. I first thought that the issue affecting the older leave was a Magnesium deficiency. In my experience though Magnesium deficiency hasn't caused the affected leaves to drop easily as in your case.

Transplanting them into bigger containers will probably go a long way towards solving the issue.
Thank you! I'll transplant them soon. They're in 3/4 gallon pots atm, and being about a foot tall, I'm pretty sure they are root bound.
The leaf spot is what drops the leaf. It is there. Also, just because some leaves are nice, dark green doesn't mean you have enough N getting to the plant. Like I said before, just as your plants begin to become N def, they will feed off other leaves at the bottom of the plant. That's all you have there. I would check ph, to determine lock out or not, but none the less it is N and not Mag. Thats not chlorosis (which often times is result of over watering). I'd love to see what your ph is before you transplant and then check again afterward.

Also, pepper plants don't require a different nutrient regimen for veg and bloom like OTHER plants. They like it even all around and will flower PROLIFICALLY AS THEY GROW so long as your soil/available nutrient is right. I grow ALL types of plants and GH aren't really geared toward peppers...sure you can use them with good results, but the formula isn't ideal.

Hmm.... is this edema?

dsc00274id.jpg

This seems to be my worst affected plant.

As for the transplant:

dsc00272fp.jpg

Talk about root circling.

dsc00273bp.jpg

After a trim and shampoo...

woW...youd better take some foliage too with a trim like that! Otherwise expect some wilting and drop. You check ph?

Didn't know how to. Actually, I didn't trim that much at all! Only the bottom 2 inches. The roots were spread out all over the pot, and removing the soil gave me a long mass like that. Talk about some major root circling.

Certainly that is not a MIRACLE GRO product I see. I thought those were the bottom of the list, sir.

Or just the ferts you have blacklisted?

Certainly that is not a MIRACLE GRO product I see. I thought those were the bottom of the list, sir.

Or just the ferts you have blacklisted?

The original fertillizer isn't something I would use, and the soil is leftover from when I was first planting them, and all that I have left. I plan to switch to Fox Farms when my new pots arrive.

Back