• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Siv's third time's a charm

My first year: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70997-sivs-2019-first-time-glog/
My second year: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/73302-sivs-second-time-lucky-2020-glog/page-10

Planning is currently underway for year 3. I'll probably start seeds in February with a view to putting them out in March. My wife complained several times this year that I didn't grow enough peppers that she could use for cooking so this year I'm going to remedy that. I didn't grow any annuums last year so will be going for several this year. I'm not going to bother with pubes as they can't seem to take the Texas heat. I'm also not going to bother with baccatums this year either. I'm going to aim for 15-20 varieties allowing for 2-3 plants of each. I have way too many seeds so will try and avoid buying more!

The current plan:
Dorset Naga - only had one successful plant last year and I like the look so want to grow more
Bahamian Goat - my current all time favourite pepper
Orange Ribbon - a surprise favourite for 2020 and great raw
Leviathan Gnarly Scorpion - hot and great for sauces, hopefully this time they are leviathan as last year they were smaller
White Ghost - a favourite from 2019 and a failure in 2020; hopefully redeemed in 2021
Fatalii - I didn't get as many as I wanted in 2020 and I do like these
Antem Aci Dolma - new for 2021
Sadabahar - new for 2021
Buena Mulata - new for 2021
Bangalore Whippets Tail - new for 2021
White Thai - new for 2021
African Bird Orange - new for 2021 and another attempt at a piri piri type
Yellow Biquinho - new for 2021; haven't tried this style before
Clavo White F1 - new for 2021 and an experiment

For the hydro, I'm going to cut down on the number of buckets and move them back a little and separate them into three lots of seven buckets. This will give me a bit better control and will also allow me to add support between the pillars to cope with these plants as they grow pretty large.

For soil, I'm toying with the idea of replacing most of the grow bags with raised beds made from steel stock tanks. I put the bags on a tarp and while this keeps the grass down There are some spots where water collects and this led to a bunch of mosquitos. The pools of water also makes it annoying to walk between the rows. I'll have to think about this as it's a bit of an investment. I may do the tanks in the spots where the water is the worst and cut down the tarp coverage. I have a while though to think about this.

My wife wants me to grow jalapenos but I'm loathed to grow something I can easily buy whenever I want at the grocery store for little money. And we don't use them that often anyway. Perhaps an odd variety - I have Tiger Jalapeno seeds.

Any thoughts/suggestions from the community?

Will follow with great interest as always.
Solid pepper choices, aci dolma is among my favorite annums, just a really great pepper. The more I think about it, I should probably grow this again
White clavo sounds interesting, I know the red variant, but havent heard about the white one.

I see your point with growing something you could easily buy, I feel the same. However I cant get yellow or bigger jalapeño variants where I live, so depending on how you use your peppers one could always spice it up by growing a rare variant of the normal peppers.

Best of luck this year!

I'm much in your same position. Chinese peppers are what got me interested in growing peppers. I just like growing the hottest peppers even if I don't eat them as much. My wife also tells me we need peppers to cook with. This year I plan to grow more jalapeno, hatch, serrano with other stuff on the side. I won't decide an actual list until plant out so who knows what may happen. Either way I will follow along and see what you do. Good luck for 2021!

Even though the local Indian Grocery store has a good selection of fresh green and dry red chillies, there is just something so satisfying about growing your own! My wife won't eat anything hotter than a few Wiri wiri peppers, so even though growing superhots is fun, I also have to remain practical with our limited growing space. Sadabahar is a good one and will likely be grown every year now along with Jwala (which is ridiculously prolific). Wiri wiri is also a must, as my wife is Indo-Guyanese lol. 

Siv said:
My wife wants me to grow jalapenos but I'm loathed to grow something I can easily buy whenever I want at the grocery store for little money. And we don't use them that often anyway. Perhaps an odd variety - I have Tiger Jalapeno seeds.

I fully understand the attitude, but my stance is quite the opposite. I prefer to grow everything myself as I'm distrustful of almost everything that is sold in the grocery market: own produce >> fresh grocery produce > canned "food". My father's influence, I guess :)
  • Bahamian Goat: I will be growing that one as well this year. Out of curiousity...
  • Leviathan Gnarly Scorpion: One of my favourites, very tasty.
  • Buena Mulata: Also one of my favourites :) Plants give me quite big peppers here.
  • White Thai: I have sown KS White Thai from THP. Out of curiousity...
Good luck your 2021 plans :)

Good to see you're starting a new Glog Siv! 

I also understand your view on Jalapenos and I share some of the same sentiment as Ahayastani above, but I've found that the Jalapenos I grow are both tastier and hotter than whatever you can find at the store. They are also pretty versatile in the kitchen (at least for what we cook). If you have the room, the humble Jalapeno is always a solid choice to grow...

Best of luck - I'll be following along!

Glad to see you back in the Glogosphere, Siv.

Looking forward to your 2021 season!

Reactions: Siv
And so it begins!

50864765302_589a725640_c.jpg

I was sure I had enough rockwool cubes but apparently not! I've ordered some more so not everything is in there.

50863948023_3bfa6fbdfc_c.jpg

So far we have:
Wiri Wiri & Jellybean from PaulG
Dorset Naga from Pepper Donkey
Bahamian Goat from 2019 seed train
Sadabahar from Fatalii.net
White Thai from THP
Clavo White F1 from THP
Yellow Biquinho from 2019 seed train
Leviathan Gnarly Scorpion from 2019 seed train
Buena Mulata from Fatalii.net
Bangalore Whippets Tail from Fatalii.net

Heat mat set to 85F and they're cooking away!

Cayennemist said:
Okay, now you're just flexing with that little seed book!
Link please, I want one. or did you make it? is it like a card holder?

Like pepper Pokemon, gotta catch them all.

It's literally a Pokemon card case! The inserts are 9 card pokemon pages that I stole from my son and with a zip up 3-ring binder (I would have stolen his school binder but then he'd be pissed).

HeatMiser said:
Looking good Siv!

How many of each are you starting?

HM, I've gone for 15 of each of the wilds and for most of the others there are 2 seeds in each block, one in the middle and one offset. The Fatalii seeds were in packs of 9 so three blocks have 2 seeds and three have 1.

Last year, if multiple germinated, I was able to pull out seedlings and move into another block since the rockwool is easy to tear.

Thar she blows! Biquinhos are the first out of the gate and I spy a hook among the Bahamian goats.

50885113587_ea1762ec5a_c.jpg

Additional rockwool cubes have arrived and my wife has hijacked the last lot of slots in this tray. So new peppers added are:

NuMex Big Jim from THP
Tiger Jalapeno (not sure where I got this from, I don't recognize the packaging)
Mammoth Jalapeno from fatalii.net

Siv said:
Thar she blows! Biquinhos are the first out of the gate and I spy a hook among the Bahamian goats.

50885113587_ea1762ec5a_c.jpg

Additional rockwool cubes have arrived and my wife has hijacked the last lot of slots in this tray. So new peppers added are:

NuMex Big Jim from THP
Tiger Jalapeno (not sure where I got this from, I don't recognize the packaging)
Mammoth Jalapeno from fatalii.net
We'll have to compare the Numex Big Jims and the Mammoth Jalapenos later on, I have those going from different venders than you.

Starting to see some green, there, Siv!
Good sign, indeed!

Here's to more sprouts, soon   :cheers:

Reactions: Siv
Nice, looking forward to seeing those hydro buckets housing big plants!

Are you making any adjustments to your hydro setup in addition to separating it into 3 sets of buckets? 

Not all of us have access to the rocket fuel that SB is clearly stealing from NASA so this is the quiet period where a few a popping and slow growth is happening. I've been removing the seedlings as they go and moving them under my Mars 600W lights. They're in a grow tent cage but the tent itself needs a clean (lots of dead whitefly gunk) and it's too damn cold right now so it's sitting outside.

I had to retire my 2nd stage tupperware thingy as it just turned super brittle from being left outside and literally started falling apart. I wondered what do use and settled on making a new thing with the 1020 trays which are much sturdier. I used some rubber floormats from harbor freight that we had bought for a craft project and a few cuts, some contact cement and a hole saw and we have a pretty decent replacement. I use an inverted netcup underneath in the middle otherwise it's a little floppy. One had been put in service and I just need to drill holes in the second and replace the cell tray. Once the sprouts are tall enough, some foam cloning collars help mitigate the inevitable algae.

50936868051_cf6cf59f3d_c.jpg

50936181078_e705a7c16e_c.jpg

50936868311_8ebd5072fa_c.jpg

Back