• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Skealo Cutback Project!

Here are the pics of the cuts.. I have them in the garage getting NO direct sunlight. Not sure If I'm doing it right but we'll see.

Got a heater in the garage and I'll plan on keeping it around 38-40F.

DSCN1022.jpg

DSCN1024.jpg

DSCN1025.jpg

DSCN1026.jpg

I guess you don't have a basement?

A couple of cheap flourescents from lowe's and I am in business as well.

They may need more light than that. If it were for 3 months, I would say you are good.

But up there you will be in from now until May........

Nice thick stump on the habanero tree. That is the way to go if you want to bring plants inside without all the nasties. Looks good so far but you will need a light of some kind.

millworkman said:
No need for light if you are just overwintering, not growing over-winter.

I'm getting mixed signals. What should I do??

I just want to get a jump start on next season. I don't need them to grow yet.... Our season starts in May and I don't need peppers over the winter.

??

skealo said:
I'm getting mixed signals. What should I do??

Well in terms of the no light thing, I put mine in my basement on October 4th I believe. They currently have tiny pale leaves on them. I am not trying to get them to grow down there but this indicates to me that they are indeed still alive. I cannot say how they will be in 3 months or so but as of right now the no light thing is working. The only light they get is whatever light that sneaks in during the day and periodic light from fluorescent lights if I am down there doing laundry. So as of right now I would say go for this method because it is the cheapest and least effort. But then again at least with a few lights on them you know they will make it. I guess it is up to you. So yea I have been no help whatsoever.

Josh said:
Well in terms of the no light thing, I put mine in my basement on October 4th I believe. They currently have tiny pale leaves on them. I am not trying to get them to grow down there but this indicates to me that they are indeed still alive. I cannot say how they will be in 3 months or so but as of right now the no light thing is working. The only light they get is whatever light that sneaks in during the day and periodic light from fluorescent lights if I am down there doing laundry. So as of right now I would say go for this method because it is the cheapest and least effort. But then again at least with a few lights on them you know they will make it. I guess it is up to you. So yea I have been no help whatsoever.

+1

I say leave them lightless till jan or so. If your season doesnt start till may that will give them plenty of time to get moving early in the year.

holy smokes, that hab looks like a tree trunk!

I'm also trying to overwinter. My house looks like some sort of pepper version of the Underworld. Stumpy remains of 3 hab plants, 1 hungarian hot wax, and 1 tobasco.
No clue if they'll all survive, but I read as much as I could about the process and hopefully I have some dormant plants just waiting for the new year to go nuts and yeild many tasty pods.

Back