• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SKULLBIKER'S 2024 "Less Is More" GLOG

This first post is picture heavy.
I originally wasn't going to do a glog this year but have decided as I am going to grow less variety this year there may not be as much posting involved. The pepper list for this year is JALAPENOS, yep, thats it...........although there will be TWO varieties. I have started MUCHO NACHO and EMERALD FIRE, from new seeds no less.
Here is the signature image for the blog which was actually from a couple of years ago:

IMG_5666.jpeg

Now on to a couple of pictures I took over the last couple of months of the new plants.
My wife wanted a jalapeno plant she could keep in the screen porch so naturally a Kratky plant. Here are some earlier pics and current ones will be posted later.
It all started with a culled seedling that I literally ripped out of the dirt.

IMG_9972.jpeg

IMG_9973.jpeg

After a while it started making roots and leaves.

IMG_0040.jpeg

IMG_0041.jpeg

Then December came and it was time to get it into a bigger home, a 3 gallon bucket with a 10 inch net pot lid. The container will be upsized as needed.

IMG_0188.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg

I filled the net pot with Hydrocorn XL media and kept it from floating out with a custom retainer.😉

IMG_0193.jpeg

I capped it off with foil to cut down on evaporation.

IMG_0194.jpeg

On the shelf, under the lights.

IMG_0195.jpeg

And now a few random earlier pics of some jalapeno plants.

IMG_0134.jpeg

IMG_0241.jpeg

IMG_0287.jpeg

IMG_0288.jpeg

IMG_0303.jpeg

IMG_0329.jpeg

IMG_0330.jpeg

Updates will follow.

I guess it's time for a couple of current pics. First is the Kratky Emerald Fire plant that is now too tall for the shelf under the lights so it's sitting on the "never used" hot tub on the south end of the screen porch.

IMG_0412.jpeg

Here are a couple of Emerald Fire Jalapeno plants outside in 43 liter containers.

IMG_0421.jpeg

IMG_0422.jpeg

A little update on the Kratky Emerald Fire Jalapeno porch plant. I got the rolling stand built and the lights mounted but will still have to tidy up the cords a bit. The plant is still in the three gallon bucket but will likely get upgraded to a 7 gallon soon, and after that it will be an 18 gallon tub.

IMG_0452.jpeg

Well, I seem to be a little slow on the updates here. With a "all jalapeno" pepper crop this year it probably won't be that exciting to a lot of people.
The "the kratky in the porch jalapeno plant" did indeed get get moved into a 7 gallon bucket and has been growing steadily. It went through a bout of aphids and mites, whenever it gets real windy the pests show up and many have no problem getting through the screens. I'm thinking of upgrading the Kratky Jalapeno to an 18 gallon tub in the near future.

IMG_0732.jpeg

My first ripe jalapeno is showing some good color, this is on one of the first three plants that went out and for whatever reason those three look quite bleak.

IMG_0728.jpeg

Here are a few other plants, I won't show pics of all of them because they all look pretty much alike.

IMG_0729.jpeg

IMG_0730.jpeg

IMG_0731.jpeg

Nothing wild going on here on the pepper front but an update on the screen porch Kratky Jalapeno. I did the reservoir switch from the 7 gallon bucket to a 18 gallon tub. Because of the distance from the top of the net pot to where the roots were in the solution in the 7 gal bucket I started out with about 12 gallons of liquid. 1000 ppm and 5.7ph solution, the water was 0 ppm as it was all saved from the dehumidifier in the house.

The tub.

IMG_0789.jpeg

The net pot and plant. Not a lot of root on the sides but this is a 10 inch bucket cover top.

IMG_0790.jpeg

The plant settled into it's new home. Cover is 1/2 inch plywood painted on both sides.

IMG_0791.jpeg

Now with the cage to keep the branches proped up. I counted 11 peppers on the plant now. As with all my Jalapenos, they will be left to go red ripe before picking.

IMG_0792.jpeg

@skullbiker Plant is looking healthy SB. I really like what you did with the plywood. With the plant set up like that, you can use any reservoir you want. You could pop that onto a 55 Gal drum, if you wanted to, lol. Nice idea!

Time for a long over due update. I recently bought a few jalapeno plants from a big box store, not so much that I needed more plants but as an experiment for my root knot nematode infested soil. I'm trying a different method of treatment so.................time will tell. Here's a pic of the newbies, they are "Bonnie" brand plants.

IMG_0833.jpeg

Next a few pics of some decent Emerald Fire and Mucho Nacho plants with fruit.

IMG_0834.jpeg

IMG_0839.jpeg

IMG_0840.jpeg

The other day I got these off of an Emerald Fire plant, definitely not true phenos.

IMG_0854.jpeg

Today I got this one off of a different plant, way the hell off pheno, possibly alien influence! Ever see a stinger on a Jalapeno?

IMG_0852.jpeg

IMG_0851.jpeg

IMG_0853.jpeg

Nothing super wild here in my jalapeno only pepper grow. The Kratky Emerald Fire Jalapeno porch plant is doing pretty well and just recently it seems to be on a growth spurt, I'll get a new pic soon.

IMG_0905.jpeg

This is the pepper farm for this year under the shade cloth. The original Emerald Fire and Mucho Nacho plants on the left and the Bonnie plants in the experimental dirt in the buckets on the right.

IMG_0918.jpeg

A couple of random pepper pics.

IMG_0920.jpeg

IMG_0921.jpeg

IMG_0922.jpeg

Nothing super wild here in my jalapeno only pepper grow. The Kratky Emerald Fire Jalapeno porch plant is doing pretty well and just recently it seems to be on a growth spurt, I'll get a new pic soon.

IMG_0905.jpeg

I really like this setup!

Back