• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

SKULLBIKERS Roaring Into The Twenties GLOG

Just walked around a few of the plants and saw a couple of Bhut Jalokia Indian Carbon pods starting to ripen, fairly knarly!

D3A61FBC-1B54-44B2-B934-110B15E0491D.jpeg

And totally unrelated to pepper growing, we went to Golden Corral and I hogged out with about 3 plates like this. Breaded shrimp, popcorn shrimp, roast beef, potatoes, carrots, gravy. Yum, Yum, yummy.

115DE316-047C-4B1A-A57D-858D66B2FE3C.jpeg

Livin Large in Florida! 

Forgot this............

BANG!

1CADC6CF-4B96-4447-8DFA-353F207579FB.jpeg

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
Saw your kratky plant mishap, plant should come back strong. I feel ya on the Golden Corral, been hankering for a buffet something fierce  :cheers:

I have been doing the Kratky for about 6 years, when the reservoir goes dry there is about a 50% chance they will come back. It usually depends on how dry the lower roots actually got. The tub was DRY.
Golden Corral last night, Cicis tonite!

Kratky plant A—OK. These plants are not that dear to me, more or less an experiment. Someone on this forum said that I could not do it outdoor in Florida. Same person said rocotos were difficult in Florida. 

Oopps, forgot the pic!

62C97BDD-B669-434B-8655-E8D4BA16EFEC.jpeg

skullbiker said:
Kratky plant A—OK. These plants are not that dear to me, more or less an experiment. Someone on this forum said that I could not do it outdoor in Florida. Same person said rocotos were difficult in Florida. 

Oopps, forgot the pic!

attachicon.gif
62C97BDD-B669-434B-8655-E8D4BA16EFEC.jpeg
very nice SB, glad it pulled thru. I wonder if the same person told me the same about Rocottos not being grown well in FL too, hence why I haven’t even tried to grow them. I did see you growing them but figured maybe Central FL is more up their alley. 

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
very nice SB, glad it pulled thru. I wonder if the same person told me the same about Rocottos not being grown well in FL too, hence why I haven’t even tried to grow them. I did see you growing them but figured maybe Central FL is more up their alley. 
I rarely go by what anyone else says about growing, preferring to always try something for myself and just use general farming practices in my growing. A garden center down here said artichokes could not be grown here, yet my wife is eating the ones I am growing!

Mr.joe said:
What temperature averages do you have? I've been thinking of trying some large kratky outdoors. My concern is that the solution will get too warm once our daily highs are consistently over 100F
Here we will be mostly mid 90s til about October, in minnesota I usually had 6 or 8 kratkys in the greenhouse and summer temps in there usually were 95—105 degrees and the plants did fine. Just paint the tubs and covers silver. Kratky is fine in the heat as they do not rely on the nutrient solution for oxygen, they take that into the roots between top of the liquid and the base of the plant. That is why taller containers like garbage cans or drums work well. You can let the liquid drop slowly so the roots keep dropping and then maintain about 30% liquid in the container.
The best way to see if it works there is to just take a couple of plants and just DEW it! [emoji6]

Haha, it's fun to look in my tent with my tiny-ass mini Kratky plants and then check out people who are really all in on it. ;)

How's the heat on those Numex? I pulled a few tiny Zapotec and got a wicked shock when I ate one; not even near full grown and completely unripe but way hotter than I expect a jalapeno to be.

skullbiker said:
Here we will be mostly mid 90s til about October, in minnesota I usually had 6 or 8 kratkys in the greenhouse and summer temps in there usually were 95105 degrees and the plants did fine. Just paint the tubs and covers silver. Kratky is fine in the heat as they do not rely on the nutrient solution for oxygen, they take that into the roots between top of the liquid and the base of the plant. That is why taller containers like garbage cans or drums work well. You can let the liquid drop slowly so the roots keep dropping and then maintain about 30% liquid in the container.
The best way to see if it works there is to just take a couple of plants and just DEW it! [emoji6]
I'll give it a go one day. Just gotta be in the mood and actually think of it all at the same time

internationalfish said:
Haha, it's fun to look in my tent with my tiny-ass mini Kratky plants and then check out people who are really all in on it. ;)

How's the heat on those Numex? I pulled a few tiny Zapotec and got a wicked shock when I ate one; not even near full grown and completely unripe but way hotter than I expect a jalapeno to be.

Well, not really all in on it yet since I have moved, but the experiment has begun. The Numex Jalapeno Orange Spice are quite zippy and for me they leave a long lasting tingle in my mouth. The Lemon Spice have a bit less heat but are good. I have never had a Zapotec to compare these.

I pulled a few Antep Aci Dolma now in between rain showers. I will add them to all the recent ones I have picked and saved and then whip up a nice ferment for sauce.

DF42F781-8999-429C-A174-775B3CA66E6B.jpeg

I planted a couple of Arequepa Giant Rocotos behind the garage in the bleak Florida sand last winter. They are finally starting to bloom but growing much slower than the container plants.

D4089C62-5C45-4ED7-AEC0-B8D78BFBEB87.jpeg

How do you keep the rain out of your Kratky buckets?  I have read that some folks say it isn't a problem but I find that not to be true with mine.
I had a pepper outside in a 5 gallon bucket with it's original lid that I drilled a 3" hole in to fit the net cup.  I covered the top with aluminum foil to help prevent light issues and to also reduce the opening where the net cup was.  When we get a day's worth of rain or more, the bucket fills up with rain water.  

How are you keeping rain water out?  

I thought about drilling a hole in the side of the bucket to prevent the water level from raising above the "air roots" and this would help with that issue but the nutrient solution would still be diluted.  I'm sure there is a solution but I haven't come up with a good one yet.

Back