small-appliances Slow Cooker thoughts

The original Instant Pots are not part of it. This is what happens when you make a "cheaper version" of something for walmart only.

Ok, so a recommendation for a particular model of Instant Pot? And I have to laugh just a bit here, as I can't help but to wonder if their definition of 3-quart and 6-quart is just like that for slow cookers!

And for pure amusement.... I sent an email to the folks at Crock Pot. I pointed out to them that I measured water into each pot and the results I got. Here is their response:

We are glad that you tested the volume with water, however it would not be accurate as water is a displacer. Therefore, you will need to add food as well and the water will surround the food. Our stonewares are individually kilned to fit the sizes that they need to.

Yeah, I sent an email back to basically say WTF... a "quart" is technically a unit measure of liquid. What kind of funky monkey math are they using??? :rolleyes:

Just go to Instant Pot's website and grab the model number of the latest one, possibly the UPC. I think they are up to the third version of the original. Then shop around.

The 6-in-1 should be good enuf unless you want to make yogurt then 7-in-1 (but double check that)

Some fads are worth is. Definitely a viral product but I got one back when you could only get on their website. There was no viral hype just some really good reviews and a video explaining it.

Thanks. Actually, I was just thinking the other day that I should probably start making my own yogurt and I've been interested in canning. The Ultra is only $20 more than the Duo Plus, so I may go with that one.

And back to Crock Pot, their latest response:

The mold which your stoneware was made from holds 4 quarts; however, once the stoneware is formed, fired, and glazed, it may develop a new shape and/or thickness which affects the amount of food and liquid it is able to hold.  Each stoneware is individually formed and fired, so they may all vary in size, shape, and capacity slightly. Therefore, the 6 quart stoneware is made the same way as are all stonewares.

A much better answer than the original one.

geeme said:
Thanks. Actually, I was just thinking the other day that I should probably start making my own yogurt and I've been interested in canning. The Ultra is only $20 more than the Duo Plus, so I may go with that one.

And back to Crock Pot, their latest response:

The mold which your stoneware was made from holds 4 quarts; however, once the stoneware is formed, fired, and glazed, it may develop a new shape and/or thickness which affects the amount of food and liquid it is able to hold.  Each stoneware is individually formed and fired, so they may all vary in size, shape, and capacity slightly. Therefore, the 6 quart stoneware is made the same way as are all stonewares.

A much better answer than the original one.

If I were to email Trojan Condoms I bet a $100 dollars I'd get the exact same response as you.

Bumping because we bought an instant pot and, after a brief honeymoon, have found that we use it once per every 20 times we use the good old Crock Pot. 

But we hate the Crock Pot we got. Some days it cooks higher on low than on high, other days the opposite, and the "warm" setting just keeps cooking the contents as if on low....or high.....depending on what day...

So, if there are ANY slow cooker users still out there, I'd love a little sense of what to look for in the way of consistent, dependable and durable, price be damned.   

I know I can google gurgle lists of lists of bests, worsts, whathaveyou, but you folks are..........

.....much more colorful... ;)

stettoman said:
Bumping because we bought an instant pot and, after a brief honeymoon, have found that we use it once per every 20 times we use the good old Crock Pot. 

But we hate the Crock Pot we got. Some days it cooks higher on low than on high, other days the opposite, and the "warm" setting just keeps cooking the contents as if on low....or high.....depending on what day...

So, if there are ANY slow cooker users still out there, I'd love a little sense of what to look for in the way of consistent, dependable and durable, price be damned.   

I know I can google gurgle lists of lists of bests, worsts, whathaveyou, but you folks are..........

Does you home have power issues?
If not then sounds like the thermal switch could be faulty.
Get a new crock pot. Rice cooker main use for me since you can cook many things in it.

stettoman said:

The wife & I used a basic unit like 5 Quart Portable Slow Cooker  but eventually moved up to a Crock-Pot® 8.0-Quart Slow Cooker, Programmable, Black Stainless Collection especially when doing a large pork sholder or Boston butt for pulled pork...And an IstaPot is used when a chicken & rice needs to be done.

stettoman said:

I use the crap out of  my IP. That little guy runs more days of the week than not.

Anyhow, here's the thing about modern slow cookers: a lot of them run hot. This shift happened a long time ago, though, and was done because geniuses were doing things like putting whole frozen chickens into their slow cooker and it couldn't heat up fast enough. In turn, they developed nasties and a lot of people got very sick. So now slow cookers heat up fairly quickly and stay a number of degrees hotter than their older predecessors.

The slow cooker function on my IP works brilliantly. That said, if I want to really slow-cook, i.e. braise, a dish, I put it into a dutch oven and cook in the oven.

The "slow cooker" in our instant pot is more than slow, it's inadequately slow. The one time I tried it, an 8 hour "cook" turned into an overnight breakfast stew. 

I understand, you guys love you some instant pot. 

Me, not so much. I need to monitor my cook, control addition of ingredients. It doesn't suck, it has it's uses, but I have yet to find it's "gift" ability.

Thanks for that explanation, AzJon. It makes much sense. I think ours has a programmer issue. I've named it Hal.....

NECM, that 8 quart seems about speed, thanks for the link!

I have a slow cooker new in the box I will take a pic to see if you are interested in buying. Never used it because of IP.

Back