• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Slower Than Dirt

Hey guys:

I planted seeds on super bowl sunday, so that was what? Feb 7th. I haven't seen jack from them yet.
I planted chocolate habs, Jamaican scotch bonnets, and unknown (all these were seeds I saved from last year) and then some of AJ's scorpions. Same little grow house with heat mat as last year, I planted them the same way (depth and water), the only difference is I used a Miracle Grow seed starting dirt (sorry at work and don't remember the exact name). But what the heck? Am I just being too impatient?t I don't remember it taking this long last year. Any ideas?

-PP

Uhmm :think: That is about 3 weeks. I think you should have some seedlings sprouting by now. If I remeber right from last year, the Hab should be the quickest, but by now all should have sprouted.

Besides the soil, are you doing anything different than last year, i.e water level, temps, light vs. no light, dome on all the time or no dome...ect?

Pepperfreak said:
Besides the soil, are you doing anything different than last year, i.e water level, temps, light vs. no light, dome on all the time or no dome...ect?

No - not that I can think of. It's in my same little 'greenhouse' with a dome, in fact it's in the same location in the house (on top of the TV entertainment center - safest away from the kids here), I think I added water the same.

I'm think to give it another week and if nothing I'll slowly dig into them and see if I can find the seeds and if they did anything. Otherwise I'll probably just have to replant and try again. :mope:

peter pepper said:
No - not that I can think of. It's in my same little 'greenhouse' with a dome, in fact it's in the same location in the house (on top of the TV entertainment center - safest away from the kids here), I think I added water the same.

I'm think to give it another week and if nothing I'll slowly dig into them and see if I can find the seeds and if they did anything. Otherwise I'll probably just have to replant and try again. :mope:

Sounds like a good plan. Keep us posted as I'm real curious to know what happens.

now you got me curious...my seeds only get 21 days to do their thing then they get trashed...

if you have enough why don't you dig one up and see what is going on with them...

If the soil dried out, that will kill them. Also if you soak your seeds in hot water for about 5-10 minutes before planting them you will get quicker germination.

Also, if you keep the germination temps at 80F 24/7 that will cause germination to be quicker assuming nothing goes wrong, like the soil drying out.

I had all my C. Chinese's germinate in less than 2 weeks, about 30% of them germinated in 6 days.

Skydiver said:
would be my guess.

I planted a few seeds in that stuff this year and have nothing yet from it. I'm a coco coir fanboy now.

I use Miracle grow potting soil with no problems at all. Hell with seed starting mix, if it aint broke don't fix it :)

Over the past four years, I have found the potting mix can make a huge difference. I don't seem to have a major problem with one of Miracle Grow's mixes, it's the one that is suppose to help retain moisture, but I tend to avoid it. (I had some seeds I really needed to sow, a major snow storm was predicted, the car was not running even close to right and MG was all the store had.)

To wit: AJ sent me some seeds two falls ago and I sowed seven 7-pod this year in Fertilome. Five germinated. Then I got five Scorpion seeds a month or so ago - sowed them in Fafard's B3 and not a single one has germinated in more than a month.

Mike

I currently have a full 70 cell jiffy greenhouse on day 33 with nothing but 1 fatali come up and then died. (Various Chinense Varieties)
I planted 25 scotch bonnet seeds in pro-mix bx a few days after planting in the Jiffies. I had 100% germination in 3 weeks and now have
about 20 plants with a few sets of real leaves. The first time I used jiffies I didnt have the best success but this I find a bit odd.

BTW I dont use heating mats or any artificial heating when i plant my seeds.
I just sit them out where they get warmth from the sun and keep the soil moist.

AlabamaJack said:
now you got me curious...my seeds only get 21 days to do their thing then they get trashed...

if you have enough why don't you dig one up and see what is going on with them...

yeah i have enough of them planted - if I get a chance tonight I'll give it a shot and see what I see.

Medium shouldn't have a huge effect on germination, seeds only really need moisture to sprout. Maybe try germinating using the paper towel technique, this will show you just how simple germination can be.
Personally I chuck anything that doesn't germinate in 2 weeks unless its something rare and/or expensive

POTAWIE - please share your paper towel method. I am also curious how long after the seeds sprout before you transplant into soil or other medium. Pepper sprouts appear to be very hearty, I move mine shortly after the sprout emerges.

RichardK said:
I use Miracle grow potting soil with no problems at all. Hell with seed starting mix, if it aint broke don't fix it :)
I have used also used the miracle grow seed starting for germinating and have had no problems. Its all the other crap that gives me a hard time. Will have to try the paper towel thing soon to see how it goes.
Thanks for the link Potawie

:oops: :oops: :oops:

ok so I finally got around to taking a look and well I suck.
The one tray of 9 cells I took out all the dirt was completely dry. Then I looked closer and another tray of 9 was way too wet. So it's my fault. :tear:

I'll have to start all over. Oh well lesson learned.

-PP

Funny isnt it? Seeds have grown on their own for millions of years without mankind interfering or trying to help and they do fine, sometimes we try and they wont do anything. I have been having longer germination times lately as well. I switched from my BioDome to grow media because my BioDome sponges got a funky fungus in them and nothing would sprout, patience is a learned quality.

Do you not hear the blades of grass crying under your feet young grasshopper? LOL

Seeds from these kindda chilis (habanero ect) often tend to be a long time on thier way, and one shouldtn give up on them only after 21 days. That said, you find soil dryed out or standing in water, that wont do them any good ofcourse.

I planted min 6th feb, and got a litle impatient after 14 days, but that excact day things started flourish, and from 14-23day, 32 chilibabys popped up.

And im still waiting on the only sort who hastn popped, the rocotto manzano, wich ive been told can be a very long time.

Gl on your next batch.

KroelleBoelle said:
And im still waiting on the only sort who hastn popped, the rocotto manzano, wich ive been told can be a very long time.

Gl on your next batch.

I actually had 100% germination on orange manzanos within 5 days. Last year however, red rocotos from a different supplier would not sprout at all.

Back