• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Slower Than Dirt

POTAWIE said:
Medium shouldn't have a huge effect on germination, seeds only really need moisture to sprout.

My experiments this year are actually providing different results. I placed Butch T scorpions in 3 different mediums, (paper towel, organic soil mix, and jiffy pellets). All were placed in covered dome at 82F. Scorps would only germinate in Jiffys for me. Caribbean Reds and Manzano only emerged in the paper towel, and Bonda Ma Jacques like the organic soil and Jiffy pellets but not the paper towel. There's gotta be something more to this than just coincidence.

Strange how I never seem to have germination problems. I've tried many methods and mediums side by side and never noticed any difference in germination. Maybe some of your mediums are too wet/dry or something.

I know I had problems this year with some cheap-o soil with no drainage whatsoever. I believe the soil actually started to rot and I learned the hard way.

Back