• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

SLUG

Hello everyone I am getting ready for my grow season and had a quick ? about SLUGS. last year i had a huge problem with slugs eating my habs i killed the ones around the garden at night with a salt shaker:lol: but i need something to kill or get rid of the ones in the garden does anyone know how to keep them off my peppers plants.

slug killer

beer. not your good stuff! go get the cheapest plain label beer you can find. pick up some cheap cake pans, too. bury the cake pans up to the rim a little distance from your pepper plants (you want to attract the slugs away, not to your peppers!) pour half a can of beer into the pan. One or two at each end of your garden should be sufficient. The slugs are attracted to the beer, fall in, and DISSOLVE.>EEEWWWW!!!< :rofl: This is how we actually got to eat strawberries we grew when I was a kid!

If you use the beer/cake pan method, (which does work) make sure you have an odd number of cake pans so you'll have a 1/2 can of beer left for yourself. ;)

Another thread around here says to put copper around the bast of the stem. Specifically, some of those copper scrubby pads available at the Dollar Store for cheap. It is supposed to work for snails and slugs.

I'm wondering if a simple copper wire either circled around the base of the plant (like a wreath) or maybe gently wound up the stem would do the same thing as a copper scrubby pad.

Celeste said:
beer. not your good stuff! go get the cheapest plain label beer you can find. pick up some cheap cake pans, too. bury the cake pans up to the rim a little distance from your pepper plants (you want to attract the slugs away, not to your peppers!) pour half a can of beer into the pan. One or two at each end of your garden should be sufficient. The slugs are attracted to the beer, fall in, and DISSOLVE.>EEEWWWW!!!< :rofl: This is how we actually got to eat strawberries we grew when I was a kid!

thanks celeste

Ortho Slug Bait will take care of the slugs/ants/cutworms, etc that are in your soil...not organic but dang sure works...

I use crushed up egg shells or diamataceous on the top of my soil, and it rips apart slugs/snails when they crawl over it. You can also buy copper tape to go around your pots or trays and it gives the slugs/snails an electrical charge when they touch it. You can also use any regular copper, or someone suggested using copper scouring pads.

Back