• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Small Jamaican Red Pods?

Hey I am a new grower, this is my second season. I have two plants that i over wintered from last year, the seed packet says "Jamaican Red Pepper"... I am assuming they are something along the lines of a Jamaican red hot. They are planted in one pot and I think they could use more space but are now producing pods. The peppers last year were also small and I am not sure if they are growing small peppers due to they're limited space (like bonsai) or are they just immature...in which case I should pick them to get a round of full sized peppers started.??? I know there are plenty of people on here that know their stuff and would appreciate your help.

Also has any one ever grown a Holy Mole?

Note the flowers for scale. the chile man says they should be ~1.5in.
DSC02697.jpg

DSC02698.jpg

DSC02699.jpg

First off welcome to the site mate :P

A lot of people here pinch the buds off their plants until they get to the wanted height as pod production does slow down the overall growth of the plant.
Can you tell us what sized pots you are using?

If it were my plant i would probably leave the pods on :)

Thanks for the welcome Novacastrian. Good to be here.

The pot is ~26cm round x ~20cm deep or (~10in round x ~8in deep) . The plants are ~45cm (18in) tall and equally wide together. I don't see them growing much more, but why the pods are so small?

Thanks for your help bud.

Hi Gallon. I'd also like to welcome you. I agree with Novacastrian. I hate the thought of picking the pods off. I always figure that a pod on the bush is worth two in my hand. Nice looking plant, at any rate. As for Holy Moles, I grew them last year and the year before. Nice tasting peppers. They are long, crisp and juicy. Very slight heat, but a really good pepper. My Pepper Garden YouTube video from last August shows the plant and peppers. The link to my YouTube channel is below.

Good luck with that fine looking plant.

Prairie head,
Thanks for the compliments. Looks like you had a nice yield of holy moles. Good to know they are a good pepper I am having trouble finding info on them. Thanks again.

Always enjoy your videos...watched you eat the 7 pot too. You're crazy man. Good luck to you too with you plants this year. Keep the movies coming.

Gallon said:
Prairie head,
Thanks for the compliments. Looks like you had a nice yield of holy moles. Good to know they are a good pepper I am having trouble finding info on them. Thanks again.

Always enjoy your videos...watched you eat the 7 pot too. You're crazy man. Good luck to you too with you plants this year. Keep the movies coming.

Thanks Gallon. That's very nice of you to say. I'll probably scale back to a Habanero or Scotch Bonnet, if I ever do it again. :lol:

Gallon said:
They are planted in one pot and I think they could use more space but are now producing pods.

You're right, give them each a pot, be careful separating the roots and remove the blooms and pods. Both plants will thank you for it. :)

Silver_Surfer said:
You're right, give them each a pot, be careful separating the roots and remove the blooms and pods. Both plants will thank you for it. :)
SS and Novacastrian, Thanks for the advice... always good to know the best way. I have another plant that I started this year, from the same packet of seeds left over from last year, in the same size container by itself. So I think I am going to leave these two as they are and compare the results. Wonder if restricting the roots has anything to do with the small size of the pods? Again I appreciate the advice though.

chillilover said:
Except for the middle pic, those look like carribean red hots to me......just small ones.

chillilover, I agree... the middle pic seems a bit longer and more pointed than the others. Not sure why since the plant is from seeds out of a packet, I assume that they are what they say, "Jamaican Red Pepper". Do you know what the differences between a jamaican red hot, a carribean red hot, and say a goat pepper are? From what I can tell online they all look similar. Curious.

Back