• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Smart TVs - LG webOS vs VISIO Internal Apps

cone9

Extreme Member
I'm shopping for a TY for my sister - early 60s, not tech savvy.

Is anyone familiar with LG webOS vs VISIO Internal Apps?

She uses basic Spectrum cable and would not be interested in extra paid services like Hulu, Netflix etc.  I was wondering if either of these systems offers a nice selection of free content she might find useful for watching movies, series, documentaries, etc.

My impression is that the LG system may be the better choice, but I don't delve in those areas much myself

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

You want to know if a TV brand offers free channels?

No.  The Smart TVs come with "apps" installed.  I want to know if one system's "apps" are nicer than the other system's "apps" and if a non-techie lady might find that nicer set of "apps" more enjoyable/useful than the other.

As an example - some Smart TVs allow you to view YouTube directly through the TV, no need to cast from a computer - just select it with your TV remote.  I guess that would qualify as a "free channel" - not an exciting one IMO but a free one nonetheless. 

It is my impression that there are myriad other Smart TV apps out there that do many other things (I watch the Nightly News and Friends reruns so I don't know much about them for certain).  I imagine there are quite a few THP members who make much use of these apps and can offer me a quick education on how much they add to the TV viewing experience.

First you need to consider if you will ever watch over the air TV. I just set up a new Vizeo for my uncle and they don't put tuners in them anymore. That means you need to buy a tuner to watch free TV.  Check any tv you buy for the internal tuner. I recently bought an Element 39" for the bedroom and that thing is awesome for the price, I think it was $125. It has all the normal apps most tv's come with.  I seriously doubt she'll ever be on youtube or any other app unless she's a little tech savvy so you need to make that choice. Good luck researching all that info. It might drive you crazy.

I had a couple brands of Smart TVs and i prefer Samsung's interface the best. Get a wireless KB/Mouse combo and its even easy to surf on it as long as you have it connected to your network/internet. The on screen KB is kind of a pain to use with just a remote.

I have an LG in the house and a Panasonic in the garage (both are smart TVs) and the only thing they came pre loaded with that was of any use or interest to me is youtube and pandora. They also come with an internet explorer which is difficult to navigate without a mouse. I downloaded the tv remote for both of them to my phone too so I can control them that way which is convenient. Other than that, theres not really a whole lot of free content to watch. If she has charter spectrum though she might get Epix movie channel for free which you can download the app to your phone and cast directly to the TV.

The internet explorer app is cool if you have a wireless keyboard and mouse. THP in 1080p while hangin in the garage! Lol

Edmick said:

The internet explorer app is cool if you have a wireless keyboard and mouse. THP in 1080p while hangin in the garage! Lol
Nothing's too good for a true pepperhead!

Back