• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoked Corned Beef Brisket, Chicken Thighs, and other stuff...

Kudos on the bark, how is the flavor?

WTF Jay.

You gave your meat to another man to man handle and he gave it back to you cut the wrong way?

I sincerely hope your butcher doesn't have a brother that specializes in vasectomies.

Butcher needs to do research. :lol:

I like how JayT got it right, but his butcher effed it up, so we can still pick on him. :lol:

Research some butchers.

It tastes awesome! More smoke flavor than I have had with pastrami, but you can still taste the brine. The way it is cut does make it a little tougher to eat, but it is thin enough that it isn't bad. Not sure why he would have cut it that way, I will have to ask him.

The Rachel:

Homemade pastrami, Serrano pepper slaw, Swiss cheese, Thousand Island dressing, seeded rye, pressed in a buttered skillet with my cast iron frying pan.

100_1548.JPG

100_1549.JPG

100_1550.JPG

You made me do it...

Rachel sandwich

The Rachel sandwich is a variation on the standard Reuben sandwich, substituting pastrami for the corned beef and coleslaw for the sauerkraut.[sup][6][/sup] Other recipes for the Rachel call for turkey instead of corned beef or pastrami.[sup][7][/sup][sup][8][/sup] In some parts of the United States, especially Michigan, this turkey variant is known as a "Georgia Reuben" or "California Reuben," which sometimes uses barbecue sauce instead of Russian or Thousand Island.

As much as I'd like to claim that was a bait tactic, I had no idea a pastrami sandwich could be called a rachel. Around here, a rachel is exactly like a reuben, except the corned beef is subbed with turkey. Ya learn somethin' new every day...

As much as I'd like to claim that was a bait tactic, I had no idea a pastrami sandwich could be called a rachel. Around here, a rachel is exactly like a reuben, except the corned beef is subbed with turkey. Ya learn somethin' new every day...

When I saw that in the Northern Midwest it is usually with turkey, I suspected as much. Boss never misses a chance though.

JayT........you my friend cook some mean looking chicken...probably the best looking chicken I've ever seen. I was really sAddened by the fact that I would not be able to try a piece....I day dreamed about it though.

I smoked a corned beef brisket last St. Patty's (2012) (after a month long raw vegan diet) it was out of this world; I nearly ate 2 lbs of it right then and there. I was going to do one again this year but never got to it.

Geeme- I didn't use BP on mine....lol

Oh and Jay...that Rachel looks so funkin' amazing....

You've got a little win on your face..

Looks great j.
Ive smoked corned beef before, it came out great.
It was one of those dishes that never made it to serving because people gathered around the cutting board.
I still have the mustard stains on my block to prove it!
(and mine had a lot of black pepper...it was great. No apologies for that)

My girl did one today,only problem was I was dreaming of regular brisket all day at work....hard!! I get home and the smoker is out,inside the house smells delish,and then I see it. Asked her if we were doing spam instead?? Gotta love sexy airheads!

I bet she sliced it the right way. ;)

Back