• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoked Habanero's....Opps.

I tried smoking some habaneros last night and I'm pretty sure I didn't do it correctly...

They turned out smoked/dehydrated habaneros.... They remind me of black ping pong balls.

What did I do wrong??

the heat should only be between 100-125 indirectly - either they were over the heat source or you are burning Lignite --

Well, I'm pretty sure the heat was to high then... Around 225 I think... Its an electric smoker(Smoke Hollow 30166E).

How long should I smoke at 125?

Btw, I think I just made smoked Hab powder!

Sounds like it was definitely too hot. Buy a good thermemeter too and never trust the ones that come on the smokers, they are usually unreliable

depending on the size of the pepper really -- I have brown habs that are taking forever be sure to cut slits in the sides -- it could take 6-8 hrs or more

My brother and I each tried one...

2 things...

1. They're burnt alright.
2. Motha $%!! their hot!

I'll try again with another batch at 125.

I am wondering if overheating i.e. burning them would also destroy the capsaicin!? Any opinions?

I am not talking about peppers burnt to ashes, of course! ;)

I was wondering the same thing. I felt like they were hot but I'm not sure if they were blazing hot...

Don't know if that makes sense but...

For some reason my smoked habs and tabascos seem hotter after gettin' smoked...
But the flavor is incredible.

20071013_0002.jpg

20071013_0004.jpg

DON'T THROW THEM AWAY!!!!!!!!

Gring them into powder for steak or chicken, and smoke some more the right way!

I halve the peppers for smoking and get the smoke in 1/2 the time.

Back