• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoked or BBQ fatty

Hey all!

I am attending our homebrew club party this weekend and am thinking about bringing a smoked fatty. I've seen threads and recipes here and there but I'm wondering what advice you can give me or links you can show me. I want this to kick ass!! I have lots of home grown peppers to throw at this too.

Thanks,
-Rob

A fatty is nothing more than a meat loaf.

Make your meat loaf and wrap it in a bacon weave.

Smoke it.

Then eat it.

I wouldn't load it up with chile's unless your friends are into it.

I picked up some loose sausage, bacon, cheese, etc. I think I'm just going to smoke and roast some green big jim numex or sahuaro hybrid for the inside. I think that would taste pretty good.

You need to make a high fat content sausage, ask your butcher for some fat and mix it in. If you smoke it with regular sausage it will dry out.

A fatty is nothing more than a meat loaf.

No. A fatty is basically a large pork sausage patty (2-3 pounds) that you place your other ingedients (can be pretty much anything - will include things like cheese, peppers, onions, potatos, cured meats, hardboiled eggs, etc - use your imagination) in the center and roll up like a burrito. Wrap in a Bacon 'weave' and slow cook (225-275 degrees) for 2-4 hours. A smoker works best, but you can do them in a oven.

No. A fatty is basically a large pork sausage patty (2-3 pounds) that you place your other ingedients (can be pretty much anything - will include things like cheese, peppers, onions, potatos, cured meats, hardboiled eggs, etc - use your imagination) in the center and roll up like a burrito. Wrap in a Bacon 'weave' and slow cook (225-275 degrees) for 2-4 hours. A smoker works best, but you can do them in a oven.

Like I said.

Meatloaf with stuff in it and wrapped in bacon.

LOL. Meat loaf is beef with breadcrumbs and eggs, a fatty is a sausage. Put the drink down.

Plah!

I'm only on my 2nd hosky tonight and my argument skillz are sucking like a DeWalt shop vac.

I should have never quit drinking in the first place.

I might just make a fatty and post it here.

Out of salmon!

I like buying Country Style pork,boneless ribs.
They have a great fat to meat ratio most of the time for Bulk sausage making.
When I make Beef sausage I add pork fat to it because beef tends to get dry.

Add whatever you like to it pork ribs.
I add everything when/before I grind it.
Add some liquid ingredients (water,vinegar,soy,worchestershire,whatever)after the grind then let it blend over night.
Most times I re grind after the overnight blend to ensure an even mix.

I like adding smoked Manzano powder,smoked garlic,smoked onion smoked salt,smoked pepper corns among other things and grilling it rather than smoking it.
The smoked goodies/ingredients make it smokey enough.
I've found COLD smoking fatty stuff makes great grease balls.
For cooking bulk style.
Cased sausage that you are smoking for taste are a different story.Depends on how you prep it to serve.

Country ribs make GREAT Italian Sausage-bulk.
Good Chorizo and Salvadorian chorizo too.
Making Cajun Sausages is an art in my opinion.
best stuff in the world when you get it right...

A fatty ,way back when, was a always a candy shaped,giant ,poorly rolled joint.
Google Cheech and Chong,Big Bambo.Album came with a giant rolling papper that made a 1 oz. + joint. :)
Ya I lived a few houses down from Cheeck Marin and Cheech And Chong used to come to our class re unions for the class of 72 Alemany High School.

T.B.
I hear ya.
I quit smoking,cut down on beer 99%,lost 80Lbs. and got health insurance.
Worst thing I ever did.
After about 4 weeks of no smoking I spent a month in the hospital with blood clots in my lungs.
After I lost the weight they put me on blood pressure meds that gave me tremins but raised my High and low #'s.
My original blood presure average was 135/72.
I have a hereditary gene thing that causes my blood clotting.
Since beer thinned my blood enough in the past I never got clots.When I cut back on beer I got massive clots in my lungs.

I'm on coumadine now but think I'd be better off drinking my once traditional pitcher of beer after work every day than eating rat poison every day and having to get tested all the time.

I didn't even mention my dental crap.
Been a year and they still don't have my dentures fixed.
Haven't been able to eat/chew anything harder than a sausage in over a year.

I have a secret for fatties that keeps them moist. When you form your square patty lay caul fat over it and press it in so it's embedded. Then add your fillings. Then when you roll it up the caul fat is all in there like a cinnamon roll in every layer. When it melts, it moistens the whole thing.

I've smoked about 8 fattys so far . The trick is in the temp (225-240) at about 2 hrs a pound and put on a bacon weave damn it! I use alot of cherry or apple wood. Gotta get that smoke ring.
Fill it with what ever and have at it. Your friends will beg for the recipe.
My wife and kids love the blueberry muffin and maple syrup fatty dusted with some pumpkin spice. I prefer the the 3 pepper and cheese fatty, dusted with my own Carolina rub... Oh yeah!

Back