• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoked Turkey!

Ok so I just got done slow smoking a 18 pound turkey. I dont have a smoker(never built one yet-yes i procrastinate) so i used my webber grill.

I put a circle pan in the middle filled with the water i soaked my hickory chunks in and then made an entire circle with the charcoals. I put the turkey in a pan with butter, season with brown sugar, black pepper(fresh cracked) and salt. let it cook from 9:00am this morning untill now. this was the result!

4800389314_b592424efc_b.jpg

Meat just falling off the bone!

4800389408_ff5fde8da5_b.jpg

For sides, we have mac and cheese, mashed taters, brown gravy and green beans!

MMMMM....... :)

Very nice looking bird, skin looks very tasty. At what internal temp dif you remove it from your grill? And, what temp were you maintaining during the smoke? It's all good my friend.

not sure really. It had a plastic popper thingy ma bob, so after that poped i left it in for a while longer. about 45 min longer. i started out with it uncovered, let the smoke hit it for a while, then about 2 hours of smoke and a good golden color i placed the tin foil on it. let it cook(basting it every 30 min or so with butter) let it cook untill the coals started to burn up, added more coals and more wood and left it uncovered for the remainder of the time. basting it regularly. this was the first turkey i smoked on a webber. so it was a tad different. thank goodness those kettles hold true to there reputation of good heat distribution. next time (probably next week- we are clearing our deep freezer out and have 4 more turkeys left) im going to try a brine and smoke method. soak the bird in brine overnight, and smoke it directly on the grill.(indirect heat of course)

But ohhh man, was dinner good tonight! Tomorrow is cold turkey sandwiches.

What did the bottom turn out like ? Towards the end if I have it in a tray I put the turkey on the grill to "dry out" a little

I used to smoke like that before I got a smoker and it always turned out great. I did use a small cake grate turned upside down to keep the meat out of the soup so to speak. If you don't the bottom half sitting in the liquid may come out soupy and soggy, but not a big deal because the rest comes out dark and crispy.

if you wanted the bottom to be crispy too, try this method out.

http://www.hotsmokebbq.com/020turkey/020en-turkey.php

this way doesnt require a "butter pan". I will be trying this method out next week.

Back