• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Smokenmirraz Melbourne Miracle

Hi, I'm Smokenmirraz and I live in Melbourne, Australia.  The miracle part of the topic title is getting weather warm enough to grow super hots!  I'll try to add updates once a month or so.

I've grown chillies from seed in the past, but these days I'm not that motivated.  At the moment, most of my focus is on growing super hot chillies in 10 gallon pots purchased as seedlings from a local hardware store.  The garden bed has habaneros, jalapenos, and some kind of thai birds eye, tomatoes, herbs, eggplants, and lots of dwarf beans.

Currently growing:

- Chilli Trinidad 7-Pod Yellow in it's third year of growth and a fantastic producer.
- Chilli Trinidad 7-Pod Pink in it's second year.
- Chilli Carolina Reaper x 2.
- Chilli Trinidad Scorpion Butch T x 2.
- Chilli Naga Bhut Jolokia Red x 2.

Garden-2015-11-14%2016.26.07.jpg

Garden-2015-11-14%2016.26.33.jpg

Garden-2015-11-14%2016.26.43.jpg

Yep.  I would be smoking, dehydrating and sampling those in stages if it were me.  Having snacked on a 7 pot yellow, I have learned my lesson.... 

smokenmirraz said:

Let me think about that for a sec... no :P

Not sure how I'll deal with something hotter than a 7 Pot Yellow :fireball:

I picked a few yellow and pink 7 pots today to store in the freezer to be dried at a later time.
2016-02-24%2018.01.56.jpg

Bumper said:
Damn, chilli vodka.  Boy does that bring back memories.  And regrets...  :fireball:

Last time I made chilli vodka was a couple of years ago.  As I was only taking a single shot, I quite "enjoyed" them :)

Needle99 said:
Plants look great and are nice and productive for you!

Yeah, they are finally getting there.  I would have been happier to plant the chilli seedlings a month earlier, but unfortunately, they weren't distributed early enough here in Victoria. 

I ran out of the Flora Bloom.  I'm using Aquasol every couple of days now.

A couple of weeks since last update.  The 7 pot yellow and pinks are still pumping out pods: 3 zip lock bags in the freezer so far.

Some unfortunate news on one of the Butch-T's... after one of them has ripened, it looks like it's not a Butch-T :(  Any ideas on what it might be?

2016-03-12%2010.23.54.jpg

2016-03-12%2010.24.47.jpg

First ripe Carolina Reaper of the season... looks like a grub of some kind discovered it first, so I won't be eating it :(

2016-03-16%2018.37.55.jpg

A shot of the not Butch-T on the left and a small Carolina Reaper (this is the pod in the background on the pic above)... once the beer has cooled down, I'll be tasting these at dinner:

2016-03-16%2018.41.42.jpg

Sweet Jesus, I won't be eating a fresh Carolina Reaper, even a small one anytime again soon... oh jesus... I ate half of that tiny Reaper... tears, slight drooling, burning throat and tongue... oh man :onfire:

The not Butch-T was decidedly tame by comparison.  Lots of 7 pot smell and taste

smokenmirraz said:
Sweet Jesus, I won't be eating a fresh Carolina Reaper, even a small one anytime again soon... oh jesus... I ate half of that tiny Reaper... tears, slight drooling, burning throat and tongue... oh man :onfire:

The not Butch-T was decidedly tame by comparison.  Lots of 7 pot smell and taste
But you can say with pride that you have eaten one!  They are fierce, I had a bite of the bottom of one of mine tapped out for milk after 5 minutes.  

One of your other posts had a bug hole in the pod.  Don't just toss those, worth pulling them off and cutting them open - some of those have been no issue inside.  Unless they are soft and flabby, in which case toss it and move on.... 

Bumper said:
But you can say with pride that you have eaten one!  They are fierce, I had a bite of the bottom of one of mine tapped out for milk after 5 minutes.  

One of your other posts had a bug hole in the pod.  Don't just toss those, worth pulling them off and cutting them open - some of those have been no issue inside.  Unless they are soft and flabby, in which case toss it and move on.... 

I think I was lost in the drama of the moment :P  I'm pretty sure I'll try eating another one, maybe not a half, just a little bit at a time.

I get a few pods that have holes in them from bugs.  I think they might be a caterpillar of some kind.  Thankfully no fruit fly down here.

Quick photo of a not quite perfect Carolina Reaper phenotype:

2016-03-25%2009.58.14.jpg

I've pulled maybe a half dozen pods off the above plant.  Some variability with the pod shape.

Mine have pretty much all been the same shape. Variability in size and fatness but basically the same.
Big variability in heat however. First few were many times hotter than latest pods.
All the rain must be affecting the heat.

Harvested a zip bag full of yellow and pink 7 pots, plus another bag of the Not-Butch-T's, a half bag of reapers, and a few Jay's Red.  Also started up another bottle of pepper infused vodka, this time with a Reaper pod.

A few ripe Carolina Reapers:

2016-04-02%2016.30.25.jpg

A not so freaky looking Jay's Red:

2016-04-02%2016.31.00.jpg

Carolina Reaper infusing some vodka.  Note to self: stop making pepper infused vodka, because you don't drink it:

2016-04-02%2016.52.43.jpg

Back