smokers Smokers for a beginner? help please

I was thinking on picking up a smoker but a thought crossed my mind...put a pan on my bbq rack where the bricquettes would go for the wood and use the top rack to put whatever I want to smoke and keep the bbq on low...would this work ?

You can put woodchips in a tin-foil pouch with a few holes poked in on the hot side of the grill with the food on the cold side. Use a mixture of wet and dry wood chips for best results.

ill try that this weekend for something to do lol my grills are reversable in the fact if I flip them over they sit yet another 4 inches higher and that much garther from the inital heat.

There's a tv show filmed near Ottawa called "license to grill" where they use this technique a lot. I'm not too fond of the host Rob Rainford(sp?) but some good info. Its on the canadian Food network channel.

That way works very well Potawie -- you can put the pouch virtually on the burner there is a "chip box" also I believe I saw it Wal-Mart or Home Depot some chips actually come with it. A nice smoker is the Weber Smoky Mt (Bullet) I think they ~ 35-50$ or even a kettle grill which is how I began my quest

LUCKYDOG said:
That way works very well Potawie -- you can put the pouch virtually on the burner there is a "chip box" also I believe I saw it Wal-Mart or Home Depot some chips actually come with it. A nice smoker is the Weber Smoky Mt (Bullet) I think they ~ 35-50$ or even a kettle grill which is how I began my quest

That's what I have. If you want to sleep at night when doing overnighters, then the WSM is for you. Load it full of charcoal, use the Minion method and it'll be rock steady for 8-16 hours.

It's a bit more $$$ though... about $176 shipped is the cheapest I've seen it.

Doh I must have seen a knock off that cheap then --- I just looked at HD on-line anbd saw it for 200 -- I have a Char-Griller Smokin Pro with the side fire box which is about 40$ less I love it

Yeah, you musta been thinking of the Brinkman vertical....also known as the ECB (el Cheapo Brinkman) DO NOT get one of those. The only thing useful on those is the larger water pan...which fits a WSM.;):lol::lol:

Had a Brinkman Smoking Pit fire box on side held three 20# turkeys or 5, 8# pork loins ,or 7 slabs of ribsand about 20 to 30# of chiles. Had it for about ten years payed 200.00 in 1994.2004 got Char-Griller fire box on side can hold about the same but real close on sides real wish I could find the Smoking pit again but they are cheaper made know.

Dan

LET IT BURN

I like how the Char-griller has an adjustable coal tray for direct cooking as well I do a LOT of both -- I find recipes that I like then try to convert them to the grill i.e. Chicken or eggplant parmesan ---now thats a good one

Back