• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoking Salmon and Fighting Boredom

The wife has friends visiting next week, so I'm smoking a bunch of red fillets to give them. It's pouring rain sideways and my wrecked back is keeping me from doinag anything else today.

So...uh, yeah I'm smoking some salmon today. Anyone else?

No salmon smoking for moi and mrs. blues. We'll be heading out in a bit to catch Aerosmith and the fantastic Zee Zee Top over at the MGM Grand. uh how how how...

Salute', TB.

this post epitomizes everything this website is about.

Hope you had a good smoke-out while your wife was busy.

I do the same thing all the time. Glad you were able to share it with THP.

FD

i'v heard of people smokeing with boards on a grille i personaly havent tried salmon since its expensive and i dont live anywhere near anywhere i can fish for them so yea bit i bet there great since they are a red meat.

N_FF said:
i'v heard of people smokeing with boards on a grille i personaly havent tried salmon since its expensive and i dont live anywhere near anywhere i can fish for them so yea bit i bet there great since they are a red meat.

I have a friend that smokes on red cedar but he is cooking red fish , I thought about doing it with catfish. He said to soak the plank overnight then the next day put the fillet on it with slices of lemon and seasoned to your liking and smoke till it is flake.

Thanks guys!

N_FF
Smoking salmon is super easy! Just keep the temp at or below 200 and only use alder for the wood. If the fish starts weeping out thick mayonaise looking stuff(sometimes yellow), the temp is too hot. It's the fat being cooked out. Also use salt and sugar to dry or wet brine the fillets for at least 12 hours.

Guys, I'm eating smoked salmon on a bagel with crean cheese and homemade hotsauce looking at my pepper plants growing in the window. It's already a great day!!!!!

Back