• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Smoking some habaneros for next batch of sauces.

Smoked about 3#'s of habaneros yesterday, and let them sit overnight. Going to be making two batches with different ingredients in each. Then off to the ferment shelf for 3-4 months.

Attachments

• habanero sauce1.jpg
    habanero sauce1.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 123
Explain that setup please! I'm curious.

I made a ferment a couple of months back that had 100 Chocolate Habaneros in it, I smoked half of them. It turned out great. Smelled like BBQ sauce almost.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I smoked some habs today, too. Just brought them inside. Do yours look like mine do? Curious how that device works, because it seems like it would expose them to more smoke than heat. Please share a pic of what they look like afterward, if youre feeling generous.

Attachments

• C522AB59-850D-427A-8E6F-2BB76FA0CFCF.jpeg
    C522AB59-850D-427A-8E6F-2BB76FA0CFCF.jpeg
    234.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 11F34E4A-7DC1-43F0-BCFA-03169BBF7470.jpeg
    11F34E4A-7DC1-43F0-BCFA-03169BBF7470.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 110
TattooedBullfrog said:
Here are the habs after smoking, the only heat involved is burning the wood chips in the smoker which has a small fan that blows the smoke into the zip lock bag.
That's pretty cool! Do they still have the same texture/moisture as a fresh habanero, still?

TattooedBullfrog said:
Yes they do, but smoked infused. The peppers were snapping as I stuffed them into the ferment jar.....can not wait until 3-4 months!!
Sorry for asking so many dang questions, BUT...

Does smoking them this way make them viable for fermentation on their own (like without all the other fruit and vegetables you've added)? I've read that smoking them the traditional way (like I have) kills the bacteria present in the veggies that make fermentation possible, and I'm wondering if the way you do it doesn't kill them off.

ProjectileTeeth said:
Sorry for asking so many dang questions, BUT...

Does smoking them this way make them viable for fermentation on their own (like without all the other fruit and vegetables you've added)? I've read that smoking them the traditional way (like I have) kills the bacteria present in the veggies that make fermentation possible, and I'm wondering if the way you do it doesn't kill them off.
I had this exact thought.  I bet it doesn't.  I have no proofs however.

ProjectileTeeth said:
I smoked some habs today, too. Just brought them inside. Do yours look like mine do? Curious how that device works, because it seems like it would expose them to more smoke than heat. Please share a pic of what they look like afterward, if youre feeling generous.
I like your baby wsm!

And that thing in the op would get a different use if I had it! (Insert bong emoji)

I've seen that smoker used a couple times on cooking shows. It's basically a portable cold smoker.

With some ingenuity anyone can make a cold smoker... AKA old school Alton Brown... You just gotta create a offset smoker. Keep the heat away from your pepper chamber and move the smoke in via ducting and distance. Computer fans would work. But in all reality it's prob cheaper and quicker just to buy that cool ass smoking utensil.

Back