• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Smoking Some More Pods

Won't be able to participate in the upcoming Throwdown as I will be out of town. Have tomorrow off work so to make up for missing the Throwdown I am going to smoke some Harold St. Bart's and make into some kind of sauce. Probably go with a mild type wood (just to give them a little boost) as the HSBs already have a smokey taste. May use some pineapple to give it a tropical flavor. Here's a picture of the pods that I just took out of the freezer. Had them vacuum sealed so they look to be in pretty good shape. Will post some more pictures tomorrow. Supposed to get 3 -5 inches of snow tonight - love grilling/smoking in the snow.

P10204851.jpg

Going to do a cherry/maple smoke - with 1 piece of mequite thrown in for good measure. Pictures are forthcoming.

The Harold St. Bart's chiles:

P1020487.jpg

Starting the smoke:

P1020495.jpg

going on a smoking binge today. next up a combination of red scotch bonnets, orange habaneros, and red paper lanterns. will smoke, dehydrate, and grind to flakes.

P1020500.jpg

smoked those on the weber - got them side by side. use the weber when i cold smoke - use the brinkman when i hot smoke.

P1020375.jpg

here's the harold st. bart's sauce in-process pictures:

just abot ready to start - smoky chiles with pineapple flavor (how much better can it get. not extremely hot but a nice kick.

P1020511.jpg

cooking down - before putting in bottles (nice flavor):

P1020517.jpg

here are the ones destined for dehyrdrating and turning into flakes - after 3 hours of hot smoking i got bored and switched to a cold smoke where i don't have to watch temperatures, etc. will probably cold smoke about 6 hours.

P1020513.jpg

here's the second batch. orange habs, red scotch bonnets, and red paper lanterns (maybe a naga thrown in). hot smoked for about 3 - 4 hours then cold smoked for about 6 hours should have plenty of smoke infused into the chiles. will dehydrate them tomorrow.

P1020522.jpg

Back