• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding So I've got this cross....

Alright folks, the day of reckoning has come. This is a "Runt" pod ripening here. Even this "Runt" is huge, about the size of a golf ball! Most of the other pods on the plant are much larger and pointier though, more of the fatalii kinda shape, but less ruffled, pimply, and wrinkly. Anyhow, here's the first stages. Right now this pod is a kinda pumpkiney reddish orange, but I'm going to leave it over the weekend to see if it turns to red. If it stays orangish, then obviously there's some incomplete dominance in the genetics going on. Perhaps the genetics I'd read and reported in the first post of this thread aren't true? Time will tell!

First stages of ripening. At this stage, the pod was about the color of an orange Hab...

DSCN0851.jpg

And here's where it is 2 days later...

DSCN0852.jpg

Well at least you know what one half of the genetic pool. I have at least one cross each year that surprises in flavor and heat. Last year a Fatalii that ripened red and was crossed with a Bhut. Much hotter than a regular Fatalii cool cross. This year I think I have a Jamaican Scotch Bonnet crossed with a Bhut as the pepper is shaped like a fat round bumpy Jolokia. You also get plants that are better yanked after you realize they are crosses. Nice plant anyway FiveStar!

Thanks PRF. The real rub with this cross is, it's not the only plant. All of the chocolate habs I started from seed were collected from the same few pods. As luck would have it, all but one of them are producing pods that look like these. I do have one plant that's producing pods that look more true to the parent plant. I'll have to taste this one in a few days to see if it's a keeper or not. Even if the flavor is only mediocre, I'll sill leave them to pod for powder. The more pods the better!

Here's a few updated pod pics for those who care to know. This cross is HOT! Diced one finely and made a nice big bowl of salsa the other day. It was too hot for anyone but me to eat, and there were probly 3-4 cups of salsa total, with just half of one of these monsters in there. I'm gonna be freezing these for sauce I believe, as the flavor really does rock, and is reminiscent of fatalii, but with something else going on in there. Really fruity, and brings the heat.

Whole pod is an orange hab for size, shape and color comparison....

DSCN0857.jpg

DSCN0856.jpg

Check the orange cap oozing outta these pods. Can't tell like I'd hoped from the pics, but it's really pooled in there in spots..

DSCN0858.jpg

DSCN0859.jpg

I want it. :)

Wonder if I should try to grow out any seeds from my pods this year. All my plants are side by side - could get a winner like this!

Back