• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

So Neil, what did you have near your Black Pearls last season?

I've had a few nice black pearls this season from THSC's seeds... these two though, seem to have cross-bred with something...

This first one is huge - grown from one of Neil's 'black pearl' seeds.. my most bushy/prolific plant.. it's taken off recently and is starting to fruit, the fruit is black/dark purple like a black pearl but bullet shaped and pointy like a thai or something? the plant itself is also green, not black..

odd1.jpg

closeup of fruit
odd2.jpg

This second one, is a little smaller but just starting to really get bushy - it's also starting to produce quite a few pods. Another 'black pearl' seed, this one is producing green pods which look kinda hab-shaped!

odd3.jpg

closeup of fruit
odd4.jpg

Any ideas Neil? Anyone else?

Can't wait to see how the pods look/taste when ripe..

What were the parent plants to the Black Pearl? Could you have have a couple of throwbacks instead of crossbreeds?

From what I've read, the black pearl is an f8 and its parents are the royal black and an un-named plant with green foliage and round red pods

Here's one from this morning of the green fruit from the second plant - the sun was shining right through it! looks cool. They're definitely hab-ish shaped fruit.. no idea what plant it could be. They're about 2cm long now.

pod.jpg

We've had this augument before omri.lol
I don't think its a pure chinensis but it may be crossed, I have crossed frutescens (female plant) with chinesis and the offspring have all looked frutescens including leaf structure and flower colour and structure, but pod shape has been decidedly chinensis and scent and heat have certainly taken that side too,
the whole leaf stucture thing is only part of the story you just have to look up chinesis on the chileman.org and see the array of shapes, colours and variable plant structures to realise that...all of which I've said in past threads.

weird , dunno as nothing near each other when flowering odd, bent saw the 1 grown from seed here and the pods are same but bigger..

got a few others coming on, so will see what comes, interesting though and off to have a loook

the habish pic looks coool too, but as they with all the purple/blacks dunno bout habs, love the pic though and can't wait to see what eventuates

black pearl.. 1 at back is from seeds from the mother (end of season),, the Tag at front is from the mother, it was bought from Kmart couple yrs ago, already had some fruit and flowers when bought, then grew out,, planted seeds from end of season and thats where these come from,, the lil 1 in red pot is the new mother, just being stunted for max bushyness.

bpearl.jpg

been in kmart for ages as if look its called a capsicum so no 1 bought thinking was just a capsicum, i like capsicums of all types so bought

mabee got a pod from that 1st lot, after kmart flower lot.. illl sendya some of the new lot, can i grab some of both lol, they look coool

stillmanz said:
We've had this augument before omri.lol
I don't think its a pure chinensis but it may be crossed, I have crossed frutescens (female plant) with chinesis and the offspring have all looked frutescens including leaf structure and flower colour and structure, but pod shape has been decidedly chinensis and scent and heat have certainly taken that side too,
the whole leaf stucture thing is only part of the story you just have to look up chinesis on the chileman.org and see the array of shapes, colours and variable plant structures to realise that...all of which I've said in past threads.
A cross with some Chinense genes is not a Chinense, but a cross.

Omri you never cease to amaze me... but english is not your native tongue is it?
How are your plants doing this season? Any photos?

Mick

stillmanz said:
Omri you never cease to amaze me... but english is not your native tongue is it?

Mick
I'm not sure if that comment was meant to offend me in any way (but hey, English isn't my native tongue, so what do I know?).

stillmanz said:

Mick

Omri said:
I'm not sure if that comment was meant to offend me in any way (but hey, English isn't my native tongue, so what do I know?).

lets just call the plant a Chilli plant and see what happens when the pods ripen.....:)

Back