• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

So, Tigger Ate a Skunk the Other Day

Hey shooty, most horse folks dont think horsesh*t smells bad at all bro. Wheres EZ Earl when we need him ?
Wow Tigger has been busy, I also heard he punched a teen down in Orlando. Whats up with that Sickmont?

dreamtheatervt said:
Unless you work in a chemistry lab, it's hard to describe the scent as it is somewhat unique. Most of the scent is produced by thiols and thioacetates - sulfur containing organic molecules. The two sulfur smells that would come close is rotten eggs (but not that close) and the additive they add to natural gas so that we can tell when there is a gas leak.

As per removing the smell, Mythbusters actually did this. Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda convert the thiols into thiolates which makes them more water soluble. This also works for getting the onion smell off your hands by converting the sulfides into sulfones.

Man...i tried to wash my hands with peroxide and baking soda after cutting onions, but for some reason don't work for me...why is that..?

Marco, try just soaking them in just peroxide for about 30 seconds. Sorry about that, the baking soda makes the solution slightly basic, which inhibits radical degredation of peroxide (the oxidizing agent).

joobie said:
has anyone that doesn't mind the smell been close to a skunk spraying?

i was about 30 feet away once and it was almost as bad as being maced. choking, eyes tearing up, etc...

No, but i've seen the effects from a close-up shot(approximately 4 to 5 feet away) to someone's face once in the service. Not a pretty sight at all. I could only best describe the damage as a massive chemical burn. Almost blinded the guy.

Sickmont said:
No, but i've seen the effects from a close-up shot(approximately 4 to 5 feet away) to someone's face once in the service. Not a pretty sight at all. I could only best describe the damage as a massive chemical burn. Almost blinded the guy.

Ya, I had chemical burns on both my arms for about two days.

Back