• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

So, Tigger Ate a Skunk the Other Day

So my roommate's dog ate a skunk on Thursday...it's now Sunday and Dave says the backyard still stinks. We came back from Tigger's nightly constitutional and he was looking underneath my Gremlin (car). I held him back and walked him over inside the gate and unhooked his leash. At which point he took off like a bullet around the corner.

"Oh dear" said Dave and I. We ran behind him to find a flurry of black and white fur at the front of a 63 pound American Staffordshier Terrier. Dave caught up to me and went to separate the two when I held up my hand and said "It's already over, give them a second". After viciously snapping the neck of the skunk, Tigger then proceeded to throw it up in the air like a prized toy at which point Dave stepped in and dragged Tigger away.

I made the unfortunate mistake of gathering up the dead body in a bag and threw it away (I received chemical burns on both arms from that venture....). Now I smelled like skunk, Dave REALLY smelled like skunk, and Tigger reeked to high heaven. I, having no sense of smell, had no problem with this. In fact, I had some fun.

Tigger had a great time with this until he realized that he had been sprayed in the face with skunk stink. Shaking his head and frantically dragging his face along the ground for 10 foot sections at a time he tried to get some relief...none was had.

I walked over to the local market to get tomato paste (being quite drunk at this time) and proceeded to stand in line. The guy in-front of me swiftly moved to the left, obviously trying to avoid the musky scent behind him. I moved with him. He them proceeded to move to the far right. I matched him movements and fell in line right behind him.

As I left, people were saying "Ugh!!! It smells like a skunk out here!". I proceeded to inform them that was me and then left.

I walked back, opened the cans and then Dave doused Tigger. After he was all soaked head to toe with Tomato Sauce, Tigger decided to shake that stuff off. Needless to say, Dave was on his knees a foot away from the barrage and got the full blast...now he REALLY stunk.

Over all, a fun time was had by all...except the skunk.

haha that sucks man! sounds like a good one to look back and laugh at though. this reptile/amphibian/other random pet store had some descented skunks on sale haha.

am i the only one that doesn't think the smell they make is that bad? it honestly reminds me of something else with a similar smell . :) of course just passing by the smell is probably a bit less offensive than being sprayed.

Friend of mine has no sense of smell either. Guess who gets to clean all the poo poo diapers.

Hey x, I am with you, never have thought it was all that bad.

xgrafcorex said:
haha that sucks man! sounds like a good one to look back and laugh at though. this reptile/amphibian/other random pet store had some descented skunks on sale haha.

am i the only one that doesn't think the smell they make is that bad? it honestly reminds me of something else with a similar smell . :) of course just passing by the smell is probably a bit less offensive than being sprayed.

I don't mind the smell of skunk at all(well, to a point, anyways). Reminds me of pine scent for some reason.

Okay, I'm afeared of where thisis going so...he has to change his KIDS poo poo diapers and it's cause he can't smell the foulness, funnyboy!

Shooty* said:
Hang on... does tomato paste negate the smell?

What DOES a skunk smell like, anyway? Worse than horse sh1t?

Unless you work in a chemistry lab, it's hard to describe the scent as it is somewhat unique. Most of the scent is produced by thiols and thioacetates - sulfur containing organic molecules. The two sulfur smells that would come close is rotten eggs (but not that close) and the additive they add to natural gas so that we can tell when there is a gas leak.

As per removing the smell, Mythbusters actually did this. Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda convert the thiols into thiolates which makes them more water soluble. This also works for getting the onion smell off your hands by converting the sulfides into sulfones.

has anyone that doesn't mind the smell been close to a skunk spraying?

i was about 30 feet away once and it was almost as bad as being maced. choking, eyes tearing up, etc...

joobie said:
has anyone that doesn't mind the smell been close to a skunk spraying?

i was about 30 feet away once and it was almost as bad as being maced. choking, eyes tearing up, etc...

not i..i've just been riding in the car or walking by and noticed the smell. it didn't stick around long as i kept moving, but i can imagine the closer you get, the worse it is.

Back