• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

So uh, I might need very serious advise.

After learning what grew from one of my goofy experiments, I googled 'seedless pepper'.  Evidently, there is a new one from the UK but from what i can tell it is a sweet pepper.  Here is a link.

https://www.itsawonderfulloaf.com/new-seedless-peppers-bring-end-to-tedious-chopping-chore/

I -think- I am growing a super hot version.  Lots of green pods on the plants.  One of the plants had two that were turning red.  I ripped the first open in the garden thinking I would take the seeds and placenta out for a taste test.  Hate melting my eye balls without a beverage.  To my surprise, no seeds, no placenta, and impossibly thick walls. Thing is, even without the placenta I am going to say these were in the hab range.  Really frigging crispy.

So got some questions for folk:

The first is obvious: Is there a seedless hot pepper already?  Maybe I reinvented the wheel.
The next is if there is not a seedless hot pepper out there, uh what the hell do I do now?

Last question: Only have a tiny number of plants.  Will probably clone.  But for now I'd like to be able to talk about this without folk calling bullshit ever ten seconds.  Who would you say is the most reputable person in the business who might want to check them out, cut them open his or her self, and verify that I am not a crack pot?

Is probably triploid. I'm doing an experiment with chiles and chromosome duplicates, and most seedless fruits are triploid.

sounds interesting. it would be a pepper that would be slow to catch on since no one could get seeds to grow it though lol
I would question the evolutionary purpose of such a plant that couldn't reproduce. I can wait to see some pictures

cruzzfish said:
Is probably triploid. I'm doing an experiment with chiles and chromosome duplicates, and most seedless fruits are triploid.
To share my level of expertise in this area: So what you are saying is my peppers have a a higher chance of committing violent crimes.  Seriously, are you saying that one of the parents had the genetic deficiency or that it formed out the blue?

Student of Spice, the second is in the kitchen cut open already.  Hoping another will go red and I will cut it open on video because I really dont want to be the next guy to be called out on bs.

My current thinking is that maybe since first pods are often goofy, that maybe these guys went from green to red too soon and the seeds just never developed.  Later pods will tell.  At this point, I just think it is cool.  Not as cool as the heart shaped twins someone posted, but cool.

ajdrew said:
To share my level of expertise in this area: So what you are saying is my peppers have a a higher chance of committing violent crimes.  Seriously, are you saying that one of the parents had the genetic deficiency or that it formed out the blue?

Student of Spice, the second is in the kitchen cut open already.  Hoping another will go red and I will cut it open on video because I really dont want to be the next guy to be called out on bs.

My current thinking is that maybe since first pods are often goofy, that maybe these guys went from green to red too soon and the seeds just never developed.  Later pods will tell.  At this point, I just think it is cool.  Not as cool as the heart shaped twins someone posted, but cool.
For the genetic defect, one parent would be normal, and one parent would have twice the number of chromosomes. Then the embryo is formed with 1 set from one parent and 2 sets from the other, resulting in three on this plant.

I second seeing if Nigel will take a look, and also second the polyploid theory.  I have a Bhut that's very obviously polyploid if not just plain mutated, it has seeds but I have tried at least a dozen times to germinate them with no success.  It's seriously hot though, one of the hottest Bhut plants I've ever grown and the pods are gnarly as hell.  I'm not exactly sure what the benefit of having seedless hot peppers would be, I can understand sweet peppers though...but eating seeds is a pasttime activity for me

Helvete, I dont even notice the seeds when I cook.  Wife complains endlessly if I do not remove them from sweet pepper, not sure why.

Probably a triploid. I have very little experience with this but that's what it sounds like to me. Did the plant grow quicker than what you were expecting? I have also read (I cannot attest to the accuracy of this) that triploid pepper plants will, instead of having two branches start from the stems when maturing, end up branching into three. I wish I could give you a citation but I seem to recall reading it on here somewhere.

Smokemaster, if all 100 pods have no seeds I think you are onto something and should clone the thing.  I only had two pods so far that way.  Folk thinking it is a chromozone thing, I am going for a first pods are goofy thing.  But for all 100 pods to do that, well damn that sounds like it is the plant and not just the first few pods. 

I agree with your original thought. Make some backup cuttings, and wait if all fruits show this phenotype. Seedless fruit set (parthenocarpy) has been described in capsicum before (at least in the eighties, if not earlier). Generally parthenocarpic plants can still form a few seeds, but sporadically.

I have had belll pepper lines which had great difficulty setting, resulting in many flat, almost disc shaped peppers, which tasted great. But for something like that to occur spontaneously through mutation is extremely rare. A friend who worked on capsicum remarked that a certain TM resistance gene in bell peppers was linked to bad fruit set. I think cross pollination would be a more likely scenario than mutation.

Triploidy is possible, but also quite rare,I have learned through the years to try to assume the most mundane scenario first, which is simply abberrant first fruits like you said, or other developmental problems, test that scenario, and then go for the more "out there" explanations.

I think the SBS Demon Hab. plants are seedless due to whatever Steve may have crossed his with.

This is the second plant that  put out seedless pods in several years of growing seeds he sent me.
Several other seeds he sent me were different colors-yellow though they were supposed to be red or chocolate Demon Habanero's.

He got his original seeds from whoever,then tried selective breeding after that to try and get a 5 in. habanero.

He did the same to come up with some very large Scotch Bonnets,Congo Reds and Cherry peppers.

Back