• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

So which of these changes have benefited me the most?

So this season, I grew heaps of plants, and really, from a foliage point of view, they've done really well.

From a pod production perspective, I've been extremely unimpressed with nearly all plants this season, except for Asian Birdseye, Hungarian Hot Wax and the Yellow Scotch Bonnet, everything else has had tiny pods or no pods at all.

Previous to about 6 weeks ago, I was using tap water with Chilli Focus once a week, with tap water used whenever the plants looked like they needed a drink during the week.

So I thought I'd mix it up a little:

- Used rain water instead of tap water. We finally had a down pour of decent rain, enough to start using my pump
- Used a vermiculture concentrated fertiliser mix of nutrients on a few selective plants
- Started using worm juice instead of Chilli Focus when I had enough of it to use

As of now, I've got an explosion of pods all over the place, especially with the superhots. AJ mentioned that his experience was that when the weather started to get colder and the amount of sunlight was reduced, he started getting heaps of pods, but I'm wondering if there is something in my tap water that was causing my problem, because regardless of which type of fertiliser I've used, I've seen a remarkable increase in pod production.

I'm also about to give Compost Tea a crack, I filled a fish bucket with about 1/4 compost, filled it up to about within 2 inches of the top of the bucket with water, added 1 oz of molasses, and put an air pump in. This process was started on Thursday, and I'll get to use it on Sunday with about 1 part of Compost Tea and 5 parts of water. Apparently the beneficial bacteria are supercharged with the molasses and extra oxygen being added to the water, and thats how most people create super sized vegies, so be interesting to see how that goes.

-

Have you had your water tested? Take it to the local health dept for a test.

There can be lots of nasties in water.

Let me tell you, if a guy from Mexico says the water might be bad..I WOULD BET THE WATERS BAD!

They know about bad water in Mexico...

Up until we had that cold, wet week here in Melbourne, I had only got around 15-20 orange habs from my 5 plants. Now i'm picking 5-10 a day. My guess is they know their days are numbered and are pumping out as many as they can.

Oh, and where do you get the Chili Focus? I use Thrive tomato fertilizer, but would prefer something specifically for chili.

SeeYouJimmy said:
Oh, and where do you get the Chili Focus? I use Thrive tomato fertilizer, but would prefer something specifically for chili.

Growth Technology

They don't have it listed on their website, but if you call them, they can make it up for you. It's not that cheap though, because delivery from Perth is pretty expensive to Melbourne. I bought 20L for just over $100 delivered to Melbourne, which isnt too bad.

What kind of water were you using for your Orange Habs? I'm just interested to see if its the weather in Melbourne thats made the difference or anything that I've done to influence what my plants are doing

Thanks mate. I just use tap water. Use the thrive every 2 weeks. My habs come late every year but i was starting to think they weren't going to give me much. Until the rain. It could be because of the week of rain we had but i think it's just that it's getting much cooler now and they're getting desperate to reproduce. They're going nuts lately. Picked off half a dozen this morning and by the evening i had another half dozen. Hope this keeps up for a little while longer.

I use tap water (used rain water last year, but my garbage can split when it froze this winter) but try to let it set overnight.

Are your plants under the LED lights still?

Mike

If it's hot and sunny most of the day, the plants
would rather not have a bunch of pods using up precious water.
I think shade cloth and misting could be used to lower
the temps and stabilize the moisture requirements.

Back