• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Soaking seeds first

SadisticPeppers

eXtreme Business
I've been hearing conflicting things regarding whether or not to soak seeds first in warm water for a period of time prior to planting them. Is there any truth to it and has anyone had any luck one way or another? If so, how long is recommended, and what temp., and filtered or regular tap?

Personally, I soak my seeds for 24 hours before I plant them using room temperature tap water. I've never had any problems with germination.
I'm sure you will get a variety of responses though.

i experimented about a month ago by soaking one batch of seed in tap water and another in tapwater with 3% peroxide added at a rate of 1 TB per cup.

seed soaked in the peroxide solution had higher germination rate as well as being a few days faster to germinate.

i have switched to that for all my pepper seed this year.

also may help kill any nastiness lingering on the seed coat.

Good to know! Thanks to you both. Just so happens I do have some hydrogen peroxide handy...

Like biscgolf, I too like to use HP in my seed germination. I however do not soak the seeds in the HP solution, instead I soak the paper towel I use in the HP solution and it worked well for me this year (my first year). I too did an experiment a little while ago and found that HP helps germination better than no HP.

i experimented about a month ago by soaking one batch of seed in tap water and another in tapwater with 3% peroxide added at a rate of 1 TB per cup.

seed soaked in the peroxide solution had higher germination rate as well as being a few days faster to germinate.

i have switched to that for all my pepper seed this year.

also may help kill any nastiness lingering on the seed coat.

I'm going to do this. How long should I soak the seeds in a Hydrogen Peroxide solution?

I just put 1/2 inch moist soil in my germination tray and lay out my seeds, then spread a THIN layer on top. They are popping like crazy right now.

I did some experiments in many areas including using some seeds that were soaked 12+ hours in distilled water and a few that were not. The water soaked ones popped first. The soaked Butch T popped in 8 days same with the Infinity and the non soaked Butch T popped in 21 plus days and the Infinity never came up. I had given up on the Butch T and put another seed in the hole and the next day it popped. I will soak everything for my upcoming grow.

I'm yet to try soaking seeds, but after trying to germinate without soaking I would say it is worth a shot. None of my seeds (other than Annums) worked in under 2 weeks. One lot of seeds (choc bhuts) took over a month and most of my germination rates were 50%. One trick I've heard of is using a ice cube tray, and using tea to soak your seeds.

for the superhots i believe temperature to be the most important factor- if they aren't 85 degrees (F) or so they can take forever.

Back