• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Soil Comparison

Well I decided to try the Fox Farm Ocean Forest potting soil and see how it would be with my peppers.

I planted 2 Naga Morrich that I had sprouted at the same time and they were identical in size when I transplanted them.

One I planted in the mixture of E.B. Stone potting soil mixed with perlite, orchid bark, blood meal and a little bit of cactus mix then I planted one in just the Fox Farm soil.

The results were pretty clear, the Fox Farm was much better soil. All of the plants that I have in the Fox Farm soil are greener & larger than the ones in other mixtures.

Here is a pic. The one on the left is the Fox Farm.

soil_compare.0001.jpg

How many other people use this soil and what have your results been like?

FoxFarm Soil

westcoastangler said:
Well I decided to try the FoxFarm Ocean Forest potting soil and see how it would be with my peppers. The results were pretty clear, the FoxFarm was much better soil. All of the plants that I have in the FoxFarm soil are greener & larger than the ones in other mixtures.

Good choice for soil. They make that stuff about a mile away from my house.

Popular with growers ;) around here.

Omri said:
The one on the right looks like it's been ODed.

What do you mean by OD'd? Do you think that it has too much of something?

The only thing I have given both of these plants is water.

Thanks for the input.

westcoastangler said:
What do you mean by OD'd? Do you think that it has too much of something?

The only thing I have given both of these plants is water.

Thanks for the input.
One I planted in the mixture of E.B. Stone potting soil mixed with perlite, orchid bark, blood meal and a little bit of cactus mix
First of all blood meal is a fertilizer. a high-nitrogen fertilizer to be exact.
Too much nitrogen (especially at that early stage) will get you that yellowish, burned and stunned look.

Fox Farm Potting Soil

Westcoastangler,

The result are obvious I'll give it a try. I see there are several locations around me where I can purchase the soil. I may go get some today and put a couple of plants I still have in it. I also used blood meal in some of my pots same result yellowish, burned and stunned look. Omri is dead on.

Omri said:
First of all blood meal is a fertilizer. a high-nitrogen fertilizer to be exact.
Too much nitrogen (especially at that early stage) will get you that yellowish, burned and stunned look.

The yellow might also be magnesium shortage.

More nitrogen might also give very good foliage, but no fruit.

So it might be that the plant on the left looks a lot better, but produces no peppers...

When I mixed the soil I used very little blood meal, maybe 1/2 tsp. for enough soil to fill about 3 of the 5 gallon pots. I have always been very reserved when using nitrogen. I guess I have read too many negative things about nitrogen & peppers.

I did this as an experiment so we will see what happens as the plants mature. Hopefully they both will produce well.

i started my plants in rockwool, starter soil, and rapid rooters.
i put them in cups with Ocean forest.

picture of the roots to transplant into 1 gal containers with more ocean forest.

outside in 5gal containers with more ocean forest.

the plant on the bottom left's flowers, weird picture the flash went off under the canopy donno why but it made it look like night time.

Update

Well the plant in the FoxFarm has 13 Naga pods ripe & ripening and the other soil mixture has 0.

All of the plants that I used the FoxFarm with are doing fantastic. My Bhut Jolokia, Fatalli, Tabasco, Romanian Hot, Datil and a few others are very healthy and producing a lot of nice pods. I will get some pics up over the next few days.

I gave a friend of mine a Naga pod and he ate it last night and has it on video which we will post. He called me a little while after he ate it and he thanked me for introducing him to the "Pinnacle of Pain".

Back