• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Soil Mix Ratios...

This year I am going to mix my own medium to play around with. The issue I am having is finding the correct ratios to apply in order to get a light medium good for peppers... Here is what I have on hand...

3.8cu Spagnum Peat Moss bale, compressed
40lb Black Kow
40lb Compost
16 quarts Perlite
8 quarts Vermiculite
Garden Lime

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

-J

Go easy on the lime until you know what your pH is.
Only use it if needed to adjust pH, in my book. I'm
gonna check out Romy's link now.

Later: I see the guy at garden web uses very little
lime in his formulations. That might be a good​
place to start. His formulations look great!​

yeah I have a similar mix to his.. (kind of, but break up the amount of peatmoss and pine bark a little to add a tiny bit of compost and garden soil, which I will reduce to very little when I pot up into 5gallon pots, but point being that the pH of the soil I have now, even after actually adding a little bit of "fast acting sulfur" is around 5.9-6.5ish, depending on where I stick the meter.. but it is usually right around 6 most of the time, which is great.. I am glad I got the little pH meter at Lowes last time I went

Living where I do in florida, anything further down than about 2 foot is solid limestone bed for several feet... its horrible to dig in.

I'm going to check the PH tomorrow... I had forgotten that Lime affects PH... I mix in a TON of composted black cow, coffee grounds, pot ash, etc and have good luck with my plants... But now I wonder if I could do better if the PH were healthier (or not... I have no idea what the PH is).

Apparently I suck at mixing soil haha. I have just about everything completely mixed together but when I tested the soil the drainage is really bad. THe water pools on top and stands there with very little drainage movement. Any ideas how I can lighten it up more to get better drainage? I thought about adding in another 16 quarts of perlite as it looks a bit sparse in the mix. Maybe two bricks of coco coir? or a 40lb bag of composted mulch?

-J

do not add lime. im just curious what mixing your own costs. my advice is to go to a soil company they have mixes allready,that is if you need atleast 10 yards at a time. so what does all these mixtures cost yall to do your self?? you want small amount of sand and saw dust for drainage

Not to much at all really.. I was spending waaaaay to much on buying damn Fox Farm Ocean and that just wasn't gonna go over to well with the wife. I have a trash can and half another full of the mix and it was more than I'll need for this season and the 29 plants. Im gonna go grab a 40lb bag of composted mulch and more perlite to add to the mix and lighten it up.

-J

yeah, it's a whole lot cheaper as long as it is in smaller quantities.. I made about 7-8 cu ft of soil for the 60 1 gallon plants I just potted up 2 weeks ago. and it really only cost me.. $6 for the pine bark chips (I bought another 4 cu ft of pine chips to put on the top of the soil too as mulch to hold in the top water and prevent me from creating any holes in the soil while watering.. works great) $25 for 4 cu ft of Perlite, andd.. like $4 for the peat moss that I had, I didn't use much, and I could have used a little more, but the other stuff was garden soil that I sifted and compost from a leaf pile that I hadn't even thought about using until now, it's a leaf pile that has been sitting and building for the last 20 years or so lol.. but the whole mix I had is in the link below (the last post I have on that thread) but like I said it's a little thick so I am being careful mixing it now, but my first post says what I used when they were in party cups, I think then I would make sure it drains really well.. and in the 1 gallon pots it is a little heavier, and once they go into 5 gallon buckets for the summer, since I can just use the hose and it will rain, and I don't want them to be flooded out, I will use less garden soil and a little less compost maybe.. we will see.. but you get the point.

Torno, check this thread out too, it's not very established yet with a lot of different mixes, but would be nice to keep going to make a database, just need more people's input lol
http://www.thehotpep...__fromsearch__1

but I had that problem where it would just sit on the top for a really long time and I ended up needing to mix it all up (this is when I had 60 party cups of plants, and it was a HUGE pain) by poking a bunch of little holes in the soil and kind of mixing the top without try to damage the plants.. but once I did get it to soak in, the soil was just holding way way too much water.. so the next week I repotted all 60 plants (and the 14 plants that I had in 1 gallon pots at the time) with a mix with a TON more perlite.

my first mix had a lot of vermiculite but it was "fine" and not "coarse" so it just didn't let the water pass, and it was dry too, so it just kept the water on top, but once it did soak up.. it was so dense that it just didn't let go of any water.. I had a lot of problems with that,

but post what is the mix and ratio you tried out, and is your vermiculite fine or course? Unless what you posted above is what you are actually mixing together in those amounts.. but that would be a little strange I think.. and super heavy (fine will be like fine sand, course is just like perlite for the most part)

Thanks for the info Max... I just got back with 2 cu. f of composted mulch which has great size and also 16 more quarts of perlite. Mixed in the perlite to the bulk mix and then played around with ratios of mix to composted mulch to achieve the drainage I am looking for. It looks like a 1:1 works perfect! Not only does it take in water much quicker but the drainage is decent enough to call it good. I tested it out on a 4 inch pot and let it sit for a few minutes to drip the excess out. Took a big handful and squeezed and had just a little water squeeze out and from what I could tell there was no standing water in the bottom, so I'm happy. Might go ahead and add in a little more moss for some extra water retention. All in all this year is my first go at mixing my own and have learned a lot. I think this mix will provide some excellent plants this season.

-J

good to hear it, I only suggest that when you first transplant them in, go really easy on the water the first few weeks, and I would try to water more towards the base of the plant (so that most of the water is where the roots are already established) and kind of spread out from there, but mostly around the base and the edge of where the soil/roots are that you are transplanting if that makes sense.. I had watered originally like I would if their roots had established themselves in the larger pots and I had problems with over watering and edema..

so for the ones I just potted up 2 weeks ago, I started with 1/3 a cup of water (and the soil when I transplanted was a little damp already) and then I watered them this week with about 1/3 or 1/2 a cup (the party cups btw, not actual cups) of water, depending on the plant, since I had watered them a little mid week which was too much and they started to curl a little... so after month probably (3-4 weeks) I will water like I normally would which would bring the soil to the saturation point.. or just more than I am now, but you get the point I think.. it just helped me out a little while doing this, and I think it encourages the roots to spread out a little better since the new soil is not soaking wet

oh and in general even if your vermiculite is course, I would think it would still be the same, I would soak it first so it absorbs the water, then add it into your mix, but since it seems you already did it, it will help to wet your mix before potting.. just so that when you mix it around, it is damp, but doesn't clump together and still stays really loose.. I also noticed that it helps doing this before so that when you water for the first time, your soil doesn't sink in like crazy because it is collapsing from absorbing all the water

What's the problem with adding lime? I'm worried as I've just made a seedling starter mix with peat and I added 1 tbs of dolomite lime to a gallon of mix which took the ph up to 6.8. Have goofed up?

What's the problem with adding lime? I'm worried as I've just made a seedling starter mix with peat and I added 1 tbs of dolomite lime to a gallon of mix which took the ph up to 6.8. Have goofed up?

Thats fine I use 2 tbl sp of lime per gal of peat as a grow medium and it grows plants very well.

At first I read that as using 1lbs of line per gallon and I almost chocked on my Cheez-its.
haaha
Ezzer, how did you get your pH of the soil?

-J

pH tester, I have a little probe I got from Lowes I think, but they have all sorts of kinds, mainly probes and then the capsule type that you mix the soil with and the capsule and water and read the color I think, I never really looked much at those. probes are good and cheap, worth the investment

Just tested my soil mix and the pH is 7.0 which is cool with me... the potassium is showing as "low", nitrogen is showing as "very low" but the potash is very high... Any ideas how I can boost up the potassium and nitrogen without pushing around the pH to much?

-J

Blood meal for "N' and I would say Bone meal for the potassium, but that takes a little while to break down, but it would be good, I'm pretty sure there is no potash in there, since I had to get another bag of ferts of just potash..

Back