• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Soil Mixture Recommendations

HPFF, I would say some sand and compost from HD or Lowes and you will be good to go.

As far as planting out I think it is going to be more towards the end of May. The weatherman on the news last night said it was going to be colder than normal for May.

Dale

HPFF...I have been following this thread and have not responded because I am using an untested mixture this year...60/40 compost/cushion sand...excellent water retention but great drainage too...it is called "premium soil mix" at the local recycle center and cost me 17.50 a yard if I pick it up...I have already hauled 10 yds shovel by shovel (lots of trips :lol: ) and have to move another 5 tomorrow for finishing touches. I don't think you will need a yard do you?

Thanks Dale and AJ and everyone else for the great tips.
I need just enough soil to fill 15 5 gallon containers.
So I think I will get a mixture of what you all mentioned
and hope for the best. Im thinking a mix of 30 30 30 10 (sand compost potting soil with maybe some perlight mixed in or maybe some cactus soil mixed in etc etc) with a dash of topsoil.
Thanks again for all the great advice I wouldnt be this far along with out it and I am truely grateful!!!:)
Tom

I thought that sand would cause it to hold more water? You are talking about sand like at a beach yeh?

I was very fortunate to get a dump truck load of "barnyard soil" which is nothing more than sand and cow manure that was scraped up from the barnyard in the spring. This was dumped at my place approx 10 years ago and part of which now is in my newly built pepper bed (4' wide X 22'long). I think that this will be just dandy for growing hot peppers.

Back