• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil soil ,Soil, Soil!

I start with manure thats been breaking down for years and has turned into a rich black soil. what, if anytyhing, should i add to this soil? It contains a rich supply of an array of nutrients micro and macro and the pH is near neutral. but im not sure about drainage issues and other things. Any suggestions?

There are a lot of micro- and macro- nutrients that peppers require and really dig. First thing's first, if you are worried about nutrients you should do some soil testing. You can buy a do-it-yourself kit that tests the macros or you can send a sample to your local county agriculture extension office. Although it probably won't be a problem, peppers normally prefer slightly acidic soil (pH 6.0-6.8). Good luck and happy growing!

DAN

I start with manure thats been breaking down for years and has turned into a rich black soil. what, if anytyhing, should i add to this soil? It contains a rich supply of an array of nutrients micro and macro and the pH is near neutral. but im not sure about drainage issues and other things. Any suggestions?
I only use compost and the soil around here is sand and the chillies love it. They dont like wet feet so the sand really helps to keep em drained. Your composted manure sounds perfect so long as its not claggy. They will love you for it. Mine Do.

I would also look into brewing your own compost tea. Plants LOVE it, and it organic!! Great for watering or foliar feeding!!

http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/articles/brewing-compost-tea.aspx

Can't go wrong with good compost. I made my own tumbler a couple years ago. It works but just not very well.

I'm lucky in the fact a buddy of mine has a pet rabbit and has offered me all the free doodie I can carry. WOOHOO 4 POO!!! :woohoo:

Back